TD - I'm confused.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

TD - I'm confused.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

This is by no means a 'dig', 'pop' or 'go' ... I'm simply a little confused about something.

Reading the latest Cordillera I've noticed a few references to people posting supplies to themselves that they can pick up on their way through. I kinda thought that that wasn't really in the spirit of things, anyone shed some light ?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Andrew

Re: TD - I'm confused.

Post by Andrew »

I haven't started to read it yet, but is it any different from buying all the food and paying for any mechanicals as you ride along.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

iirc it's always been fair game to post things to yourself (pre race) to the local post office which will hold it for X amount of days but nobody else is allowed to post pre-made supplies during the race. Unless its new parts that you can't get en route and is from a commercial supplier.

I may be completely wrong though.
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

http://tourdivide.org/the_rules

Rule 5
5. Shipping/receiving supplies (to the course): In the name of equal opportunity for international riders, and to minimize the TD 'footprint', challengers are encouraged to race as reliant as possible on commercial services along the route. However, in advance of a start, a competitor may cache food or equipment resupply at US Post Offices only, care of general delivery. Typical practice is to ship a replacement chain and fresh bike shorts to the halfway point on route. If a racer misses a resupply due to PO closure, that box may be forwarded to another PO, and only a PO, down route.
5a. Once the race clock begins, a rider may be assisted by a third party in receiving emergency repair/replacement items only. Food resupply is not considered an emergency. No cookies from mom! Emergency items must be shipped using a commercial shipper such as USPS, UPS, Fed-Ex, DHL, etc. Items may not be delivered privately by family, friends or even anonymous persons. Items may only be shipped to a commercial address (P.O., motel, bike shop, restaurant etc.), provided that address is equally available to all racers. Use of a private address (residence) along the route is forbidden. Use of the Race Updates blog to 'broadcast' for help (ie. conjure 'trail magic') is also forbidden. Item 5 FAQs
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
FLV

Post by FLV »

Theres a lot of wooly areas in the rules I think, or at least a lot of people arguing over it :D

I recall reading somewhere that some people class talking to family on mobile phones as support (emotional) and others feel its fine for familys to show up in town and have a meal together, give encoragement etc.
I'm sure theres a line somewhere but im not going to try to define it.

I think if you're racing it, you just need to use good jugement on the whole self support thing. But, if you're at the sharp end and putting in a competitive time, expect someone to have a look at what you did and scrutinise it.

I intend to have a go in 2014, when its done, as long as I'm happy with what I do thats fine.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Thanks for clearing that up fellas, like I said, I was unsure ... as FLV says, some areas are a little grey but as 99percentchimp points out ... this isn't one of them ;)
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Aren't there 2 divide races?

The Tour Divide which allows phone calls and posting of items and then another one which is completely supported with no outside help including phones?
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I love it when people say
forbidden
. JUst makes me want to do it :D

This isn't to condone breaking rules or anything on the TD, it's just that word. Is it just me :?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Aren't there 2 divide races?
Yes but I'm really not sure how many folk actually race the GDMBR these days.
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

I guess the 'rules' are guidelines really. Similar to the ethics in onsight lead climbing really and the debates over what's a 'redpoint' and what's an 'on sight' ascent - if you look into your conscience you know what the answer is before you ask and there is no-one to kid but yourself really (esp. on these bike rides if you are TTing the route independently).
I like the section on the line on the Cairngorms Loop site - says it all really.
The rules are simple and brief - ultimately, they depend on each rider's integrity, which means respecting and adhering to them whatever your opinion. If you can't police your own actions and abide by the rules 100%, please don’t ride and belittle the efforts of the honourable riders who can. Breaking or bending these simple rules is unfair to the other riders who are out there suffering just as bad as you are, yet are still playing by the rules.
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
slarge

Post by slarge »

For me (who isn't doing the TD) it would fall into the camp of "if someone else did it would I consider it cheating?"
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

As said above it is legal to post stuff to a PO on the route. You take the chance you get there during opening times though. Craig Stapler 2 years ago was to post stuff to Steamboat Springs & Breckenridge (iirc) as he thought he may miss one but not both as they are ~100 miles apart. Don't know what he did last year.