Most flexible gear cable outer?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Most flexible gear cable outer?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm looking to replace my gear cables and would like to use something as flexible as possible. I've always use Shimano but find that it's quite stiff ... anyone any suggestions for some?

Ta
May the bridges you burn light your way
FLV

Re: Most flexible gear cable outer?

Post by FLV »

They 'should' be pretty similar due to the construction. Straight steel wires encased in plastic etc.

May I ask why?
FLV

Post by FLV »

You could use brake outer for the required section, its coiled steel and much flexier as I'm sure you know.

Your shifting feel would certainly suffer. You might need to overshift a little bit to make it shift if you use too long a section.

I’ve done it on a road bike before, temporarily, I forget why but it did work albeit not great
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

May I ask why?
I tend to run my cables fairly short* and I find that when I remove my bar harness after a few days fitted, the cables have taken a semi-permanent set. I think it's the outer plastic covering on the Shimano cables that makes them feel stiff rather than the steel core ... I could imagine bending a length of cable and having the outer split/crack.

*might or might not have a bearing.
FLV

Post by FLV »

makes sens to run them short. try the brake outer, you should be able to go really short with that
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Alligator i-links / that type of style (nokon etc.)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Alligator i-links / that type of style (nokon etc.)
I've just looked at Nokons but the price is a little on the high side ... I'll take a look at the Alligators.
Ian

Post by Ian »

By far the most flexible cable I've used is Nokon. Expensive, possibly too much for your taste ;) , but very good and will adopt a variable curve readily without upsetting shifting performance.

Alternatively, you should find longer cable run are more tolerant of being routed around stuff.
BRP

Post by BRP »

Another vote for Nokon here...been using it for years on brakes and gears and swear by it!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Alternatively, you should find longer cable run are more tolerant of being routed around stuff.
I might be able to get more 'arc' and less 'bend' if I switch the cables round so the rear cable goes around the headtube and exits down the left side of the down tube and the same for the front (but obviously in reverse). It'll mean crossing the bare inners somewhere along the downtube but I don't think it's much of an issue.

Zippy the Alligator Mini I-link cables look lovely and weigh nothing ;)
Another vote for Nokon here...been using it for years on brakes and gears and swear by it!
They do look ideal but as Ian points out, I'm either too tight or too poor for such trinkets ;)