What do you do when you're alone? (no not that)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dan_K

What do you do when you're alone? (no not that)

Post by Dan_K »

What do you do to pass the nights when you're out bivvying?
Kindle or ipod for me (although i'm looking at getting a little AA battery personal radio for multi day trips).
Booze is an option to....
FLV

Re: What do you do when you're alone? (no not that)

Post by FLV »

Dan_K wrote:What do you do to pass the nights when you're out bivvying?
Kindle or ipod for me (although i'm looking at getting a little AA battery personal radio for multi day trips).
Booze is an option to....
I faff about with tarps lately.
Swig away at a wee bit of malt
Read on the kindle app on the phone
Podcasts / Music / Audio book.

Last time a lay there and listened to about 2 hours of Life of Pi whilst watching the snow. Peaceful indeed
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've got a little radio. It's a 'Roberts' one, runs on a single AA battery. It's not the smallest or lightest but it's the only one I could find that still has FM/AM/LW ... there's a lot of places out here where you can only get LW inc' home ;)

I find there's nothing better than listening to the Archers before drifting off listening to the shipping forecast and hopefully being asleep before Melvin Bragg gets on!
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Oh dear. How "city" am I? Hadn't even considered that folk can't pick up AM and FM in the wilds! I was looking at getting the Sony SRF-59 but need I rethink my options if I want actual sound in the Cairngorms??!!

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/personal- ... man/srf-59

What about DAB? Would that work?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What about DAB? Would that work?
Nope

This is the one I've got: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roberts-Radios- ... =8-1-spell
May the bridges you burn light your way
Tanglefist

Post by Tanglefist »

I'd be surprised if DAB worked in the Cairngorms, it still needs a radio signal. If you wanna go Mp3 - The Sansa clip+ is great little player, you can get them with 8 gb internal memory and an SD card slot. The power will last for about 15 hours of use. They cost about £30, weigh 20 grams. Also they act just like a normal USB drive - so no extra software is required to move files onto them. I'm into the podcasts, and lots of radio shows release an edited version as a podcast. Also it has an on-board radio.

I just realized I've been mispronoucing Cairngorms as Cairngorns for years.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Drink whiskey, take in the view and cogitate. Never previously taken music but now have a new smart phone so may start putting some on that.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Kindle reader on the smartphone if I'm in the mood. Never music. Mostly I just eat, drink and sleep. I've found that a little walk after "dinner" eases the muscles up a bit and makes the next day easier. That's very weather dependent though. If it's pissing it down or completely midged I just snuggle up for the evening.
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Food, podcasts (R4 Friday Night Comedy is the current favourite), vintage port, photography and a short stroll as per ScotRoutes. All this is belated followed by trying to sort out a functioning pillow from whatever is to hand!
Currently 'repurposing' an old pack towel as a pillowcase to save me from using a balaclava (1 too many holes!)
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/