Anyone with a Pugsley?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Solo

Anyone with a Pugsley?

Post by Solo »

In particular running 2x10 set up?

Just got a quick gear set up/adjustment question.
Hamish

Re: Anyone with a Pugsley?

Post by Hamish »

I am still on 2x9 on my pug.
Solo

Post by Solo »

Maybe you can help.

When in the granny ring, how far down the block can you go without the chain sagging onto the chainstay?
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

The chain is too long.
Solo

Post by Solo »

Pirahna wrote:The chain is too long.
That was my thought but I only noticed once I'd had the back wheel out for a tube change.

It is lined up ok though. (the wheel that is)
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

With the chain on the granny and smallest sprocket it isn't sagging onto the chainstay. There is just enough tension to keep it tight- but only just.

Indeed that is one of the ways I calculate the chain length. Stick it on small x small and make sure it is just held tight.
Solo

Post by Solo »

Hamish wrote:With the chain on the granny and smallest sprocket it isn't sagging onto the chainstay. There is just enough tension to keep it tight- but only just.

Indeed that is one of the ways I calculate the chain length. Stick it on small x small and make sure it is just held tight.

Thanks Hamish. My chain is sitting on the chainstay in smallest 2 sprockets. Very slack on the next 2. Only then could I actually pedal etc.
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

I never pedal smallest x smallest, at least not on purpose, but I want to be able to change into every gear without something going wrong.

You need the capacity in your rear mech combined with a long enough chain to do biggest x biggest as well as a short enough chain to retain tension on smallest x smallest.

Can you remove a pair of links to see if that helps?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

It's not unknown for a rear mech spring to lose tension and not pull back far enough to tighten the chain at that extreme or for the pivots to be up enough that the spring struggles. Certainly worth giving it a liberal spraying with something like GT85 and working it back and forth by hand a few times. (Make sure you don't get any lube on the disc rotor.). It's possible to dismantle some mech for cleaning and living, through re-assembling them can be one of those three-handed tasks.

Storing bikes in small-small is held to be good practice to help avoid this.