Newbury based, tips wanted

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

faustus

Newbury based, tips wanted

Post by faustus »

New on here, but been on STW a long time. I do plenty of general mtbing from my front door in Newbury, and since moving there permanently a few years ago I've got to know the area and surrounding 15-20miles pretty well (Ridgeway, Wayfarer's Way and most between those two). However I don't do enough bikepacking, and its the thing I enjoy most and daydream of too much. I tend to head off to Wales or think of similar quiet places. But I have an 8 month old baby and getting sufficient time away isn't easy, so places further away from home happen much less often than I want. For the next 12 months or so I plan to shift my focus to getting in more bivvy nights away (considering doing BAM to force myself to get out and do it), and that will mean doing quite a few of those locally (or fairly local).

I'm lucky to have a wealth of trails close by, and options for longer distance, but i'm wandering if any other locals bivvy locally and what spots are good and any useful tips, water stops...anything really. I'm a responsible bikepacker so very much looking for nice spots to arrive late and leave early. Happy to be PM'd if anyone wants to keep it offline.
benp1

Re: Newbury based, tips wanted

Post by benp1 »

It's a lot easier than you think, you're probably over thinking it. You can tip up late and leave early from a surprising number of spots. No one knows you're there or you've been there. Doing a local one means you can pick and choose the weather, if you know it's dry you can forget the tarp and it's even simpler

I live in North London, in suburbia on the edge of the green belt. I've had quite a few bivies in local parks and places. I wouldn't 'recommend' it as a bivy spot as without stealth you'll be spotted, but I enjoyed it and no one knew I plan on cracking on.

For local stuff you can even ignore the stove etc, shoot out after dinner, get back for breakfast. I sometimes take a light snack and a thermos, simpler and easier

If you have lots of green space around you then the edge of the field or forest, by the stream, in a nature reserve. I'd say they're all fair game if you LNT and pitch late/leave early
faustus

Re: Newbury based, tips wanted

Post by faustus »

Thanks for that. I am definitely over thinking it, it is one of my traits alongside procrastination!

Useful tips on thermos and snacks though, would save faffing with a stove and coffee/porridge..not thought of that! There are probably tons of subtle spots like that near me, plus abandoned barns if the weather was dicey. Cheers.