Caledonia Way

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Leerowe76

Caledonia Way

Post by Leerowe76 »

Having read a bit on this route I was wondering which is the best way to ride this from as there doesn't seem to be much in terms of anything in Cambelltown, do people tend to start from Oban and travel through to Inverness or start in Inverness ? how much of this is off road and what's the best time of year even though the weather will do what it wants, cheers in advance
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
ScotRoutes

Re: Caledonia Way

Post by ScotRoutes »

Campbeltown is certainly a pain to get to but Kintyre is lovely and the route takes you to both sides of the peninsula for a change if views. Between Campbeltown and Oban it's almost all on road (Crinan Canal being a noticeable exception).

From Oban to Curran it is mostly made cycle path, quiet lane or shared pavement.

At Corran you cross over to road, then cross back at Camusnagaul to Fort William. It's then canal path, tarmac, then a forest road section towards Laggan. Canal path to Fort Augustus.

The big climb out of Fort Augustus is currently on the road but there's a very recently completed parallel track signposted as the South Loch Ness Trail that will take you to Loch Tarff. From here it's all road again, though the SLNT gives you many off-road options if you follow that to Inverness instead.

Sticking to NCN78 you will manage on 28mm touring tyres.

http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2016/09/ ... n-day.html
Last edited by ScotRoutes on Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'd recommend northbound given the prevailing winds, especially so on the canal sections where there is little shelter from them.

Any time of year really, though we're approaching that golden Autumn time and Argyll will look quite magnificent.

There's now an excellent guidebook

http://www.theoffcomers.co.uk/the-caledonia-way
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Cheers for that mate, it was actually your ride I found online that got me thinking and wanting to ride to the route searched on Strava for more info of which way you went. I'll check that link out and thanks again. :-bd
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have limited internet access at the moment but I'll try to get a gpx file for you.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »