SJS derailleur bracket extension

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Scattamah

SJS derailleur bracket extension

Post by Scattamah »

Anyone here had any luck with one of these? Had one dropped on Lois today to get the cage under a 42t and the shifting is nothing like it was before. Should I be looking at getting a proper Goatlink instead?

Greetz

S.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: SJS derailleur bracket extension

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Have you got a link Scott? ... not 'goat' but url :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Scattamah

Re: SJS derailleur hanger extension

Post by Scattamah »

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spares ... -extender/

It does the job ok of getting the cage below the 42t. I'm just wondering if it's now put the derailleur body a bit too far away. The Goatlink is a much neater solution. I should probably add the cassette is Shimano HG500-10 11-42 and not my usual XT with an extender ring. No amount of barrel turning seems to tune every gear bang on.

Not too much of a loss if it's not the right way forward. Fixed the title to reflect the part (the Goatlink is a bracket extender hence why original title).

Greetz

S.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ta, looks similar enough to a goat link to work okay.

I've found a bit of a difference bike to bike and always had best big cassette results with a long(ish) cage mech'. It says in the bumph short cage mech' and 40t but I reckon that'd feel horrible ... like changing gear with elastic. I assume the chain matches the cassette etc?

Ooh also had best results with KMC chain. I did have one bike with a SRAM that refused to change gear in any useable way.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

That looks more like a knock off of the road link which is for an 11-40 cassette rather than the goat link which is for 'MTB' wide range cassettes.

I use a goat link and a HG500 11-42 and it seems to work well.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Doesnt the type of "Goat"/"Road" link depend on whether its a shadow/non shadow rear mech?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yeah, Goat-link only works with Shadow type mech' I recall.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Yeah that looks like a roadlink copy. I've used a roadlink with a shortcage road mech (1x9) and 11-42 made up cassette and it was fine. It's now got an 11-40 sunrace on instead.

Are you sure your mech hanger is spot on as I guess any extension will magnify any misalignment?
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Yeah, Goat-link only works with Shadow type mech' I recall.
Correct, my understanding after 3 hours trying to get a mates R8000 shadow mech to work with the Goatlink10 fitted in addition to the existing hanger. I'd not had the time or notice to read up on them before hand and assumed he had :roll: I mention it as OP hasnt mentioned what type of mech he is using :smile:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Mech is XTR non-clutch.

Greetz

S.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

@Restless...the mech was shifting as crisp as DI2 prior to yesterday. I'd say it's straight, but I'm no rocket scientist.

For reference...my usual setup is XT 11-36 cassette, PC1051 chain, XTR non-clutch mech, XTR shifter. Very sharp on the change.

My issue is not that it won't change, but the change is sluggish by comparison and sometimes takes a while to engage.

Greetz

S.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Know you don't want to spend more money but bike.de have the correct m6000 shadow+derailleur for 40euro mate don't know if it would arrive in time though , have a look around as I found the m6000 cassette for £20 from Merlin's so you may get a deal on the derailleur in this country
Edit -ribbles cycles not merlins
Last edited by middleagedmadness on Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Tried it with no roadlink and just a longer b tension screw to see if it will clear the 42?
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

@RS - yes...won't clear the 42, hence the extension. Bugger it...I'll pick up a Goat Link. If anything, someone might get a good deal on one shortly if it doesn't play nice and I ditch this big ring spinny thing and go back to pushing up steep stuff.

Thanks all.

Greetz

S.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It is a new chain AND cassette is it Scott?
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

@Stu - yup. Fresh cassette and chain.

Greetz

S.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not that then :wink:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Not quite the same as it's SRAM mech and shifters but I did use a HG500 cassette.

I put a 11-42 on the wife's bike. It replaced a 11-36 SRAM PG1070 cassette. I had to replace the short cage X9 mech with a medium cage GX mech, both were Type 2.1

The shifting is not as crisp with the 11-42. It's still about the same at the top end but on the larger sprockets it's not as good, I put this down to the larger gaps between the cogs and the HG500 being a lower spec than the SRAM?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

You could well be right there Sean. It'll be crisp at one end or the other but not both. Right now, I've tuned it to be sharp on the larger rings as with TNR that's where it'll be used mostly. The sluggishness starts to happen down around rings 7-8. Multi-step shifting seems to be ok for some unknown reason. Perhaps that's because you push through the index in a different way.

Greetz

S.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

restlessshawn wrote:Are you sure your mech hanger is spot on as I guess any extension will magnify any misalignment?
Scott I had this on one of the bikes I fitted a goatlink on.
Worked perfectly until the goatlink was added and no way would it shift properly (although it looked straight) until I slightly tweaked the angle of the derailleur and it ran sweet as a nut afterwards.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Took it out for a spin around the block...still doesn't feel as snappy as it should, but it's usable. 42t feels like cheating...sitting down and spinning up 15% is an interesting experience.

Greetz

S.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Scattamah wrote:Took it out for a spin around the block...still doesn't feel as snappy as it should, but it's usable. 42t feels like cheating...sitting down and spinning up 15% is an interesting experience.

Greetz

S.
But you know you'll be glad of it after a few hours climbing....
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

got a wolf tooth road link on my jones,using a sram gx mech had to file it down to get the rear mech to swing backwards to get the wheel out the frame.

bought the sjs cycles one from ebay and its just seems the same,gears work ok so bought another for a spare
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Just noticed on STW's Fresh Goods Friday posting https://singletrackworld.com/2018/08/tw ... riday-410/ that Sunrace now do an extender link. About halfway down the page. A tenner.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
cycleofaddiction

Post by cycleofaddiction »

wriggles wrote:
Bearbonesnorm wrote:Yeah, Goat-link only works with Shadow type mech' I recall.
Correct, my understanding after 3 hours trying to get a mates R8000 shadow mech to work with the Goatlink10 fitted in addition to the existing hanger. I'd not had the time or notice to read up on them before hand and assumed he had :roll: I mention it as OP hasnt mentioned what type of mech he is using :smile:
Not sure what cassette your mate was using but the r8000 GS will run absolutely fine without the need of a Goat-link/Road-link on a 11-40 cassette and a 50-34 compact.