London to Brighton gravel route Sat 25th August

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jimbop

London to Brighton gravel route Sat 25th August

Post by jimbop »

I need to get some gravel kms under my belt in preparation for the Gran Fonduro up in Scotland at the end of September so I have just copied a gravel route from London (Sigma Sports in Hampton Wick nr Richmond Park) to Brighton and I'm planning to ride it first thing Saturday and then catching the train back to London in the afternoon, perhaps enjoying a pub lunch and a beer or two by the sea before heading home. I plan to set off from Sigma somewhere between 08:00 and 09:00 but I'm flexible on timing if that's too early or late for anyone who'd like to come along. I'll be riding my CAADX 105 and will be going at a medium pace I guess, i'm not a racer nor a plodder (at least not intentionally a plodder!). Anyone wanna join?

Here's the route I've imported into Strava (I can send people the GPX file): https://www.hotchillee.com/2017/09/28/g ... -brighton/
ctznsmith

Re: London to Brighton gravel route Sat 25th August

Post by ctznsmith »

Hah! Guildford to Steyning on that is the 'downs link' i.e. NCN 223. Not sure that's 'gravel'. Fun to cruise along though. :roll:

Take a bell. ;-)
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Downs Link is a nice disused railway track. Lots of dog walkers. Cafe half way. Shoreham end was closed during the summer for construction work.
jimbop

Post by jimbop »

ctznsmith wrote:Hah! Guildford to Steyning on that is the 'downs link' i.e. NCN 223. Not sure that's 'gravel'. Fun to cruise along though. :roll:

Take a bell. ;-)
Ah - agreed re NCNs. Didn't realise it was one. Better than roads though.

No need for a bell; the free hub on my new Hunt 4Season Gravel wheels is lovely and loud, so if i want to get somebody's attention in front of me i just stop pedalling and the reaction is instant. I've always wanted a loud free hub because i think they sound great but i hadn't appreciated the fringe benefit of using it as a warning to pedestrians or other cyclists :-)
jimbop

Post by jimbop »

Rasta wrote:Downs Link is a nice disused railway track. Lots of dog walkers. Cafe half way. Shoreham end was closed during the summer for construction work.
Already looking forward to the cafe. Aren't we still in summer?
gairym

Post by gairym »

jimbop wrote:Here's the route I've imported into Strava (I can send people the GPX file): https://www.hotchillee.com/2017/09/28/g ... -brighton/
I'll take a copy of that .gpx if you're offering thanking you very much!

You can email it to: simplegairy (@) gmail (dot) com

I ride that way (from North-west London to Brighton) once or twice each time we're back in the UK and the last few times it's been on the road on the gravel bike so any route that's not fully tarmac is an improvement over what I've previously done.

Cheers, Gairy.
jimbop

Post by jimbop »

gairym wrote:
jimbop wrote:Here's the route I've imported into Strava (I can send people the GPX file): https://www.hotchillee.com/2017/09/28/g ... -brighton/
I'll take a copy of that .gpx if you're offering thanking you very much!

You can email it to: simplegairy (@) gmail (dot) com

I ride that way (from North-west London to Brighton) once or twice each time we're back in the UK and the last few times it's been on the road on the gravel bike so any route that's not fully tarmac is an improvement over what I've previously done.

Cheers, Gairy.
Just emailed you the GPX sir :-)
Sussex Paul

Post by Sussex Paul »

I was looking at riding the downs link with the family two weeks ago, there was mention of a section being closed on the website, but not much detail, so I emailed them, here’s the response I got -

“I have been informed by the Rights of Way officer that the closure remains in place along the DownsLink at Southwater Grid ref: TQ1565126300 to TQ1538726509.

Unfortunately there are no alternative routes available using the public rights of way network.

I was there today and I could get through on this section so it may mean that it is not closed all the time. I am arranging a site meeting to find out more information.”

So you might be able to get through, but worse case it’s navigating your way around on local roads
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

I'm planning something similar from North London in the next couple of weeks and I've just come across this and noticed that there are a couple of closure notices in place. See link below.

https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/leisure-r ... owns-link/
May satan walk with you
gairym

Post by gairym »

GPX received! Thanks Jim!
gairym

Post by gairym »

I have a lovely routine that's been in place for the last decade or so.

Ride to Brighton, buy beer and/or curry, eat on beach if nice or on train if not and then rest and reflect on the day all the way back to the big smoke.

Makes for a lovely day out :-bd
jimbop

Post by jimbop »

ssnowman wrote:I'm planning something similar from North London in the next couple of weeks and I've just come across this and noticed that there are a couple of closure notices in place. See link below.

https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/leisure-r ... owns-link/
Thank you! A couple of friends have decided to come along and I expect we'll find a way through, over or around any closed sections.
jimbop

Post by jimbop »

gairym wrote:I have a lovely routine that's been in place for the last decade or so.

Ride to Brighton, buy beer and/or curry, eat on beach if nice or on train if not and then rest and reflect on the day all the way back to the big smoke.

Makes for a lovely day out :-bd
I intend to instate a similar routine myself. I'm looking forward to my inaugural trip tomorrow (or today as it's quite late now).
jimbop

Post by jimbop »

I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow but my mate accidentally downloaded the wrong route so we end up doing about 60km off-road, much of it challenging my two friends (an ironman and ironwoman so not shy of hard work) on their mtbs loaded with bikepacking gear. It was hilarious - really really challenging but bloody brilliant fun. Thankfully my converted gravel caadx was unencumbered by luggage so it was able to get up the single track, root and rock infested climbs more easily despite the lack of suspension and higher gearing. We got 2/3 of the way to Brighton and decided to bail into a secluded country pub for beers and grub rather than follow the newly discovered (for us!) Downs Link, which was like a freshly finished motorway compared to our day, the rest of the way to the coast. After pub I left them to find somewhere to setup camp and am now on a train back to the big smoke. I'll post up a link to the route we followed on strava so if anyone fancies it they can have a bash.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Sounds fun :-bd

Does that mean you sent me the über tricksy MTB route or so I have the correct friendly gravel route?
jimbop

Post by jimbop »

You've got the friendly route that is on the National Cycle Network. I was highly dubious about some of what we tackled yesterday being part of a national route because we had to do a few hikesbike sections (aside from my mate who smashed up and down everything on his full sus because he's an ex-mtber).
jimbop

Post by jimbop »

Here the Strava activity showing the route we followed along with some photos: https://www.strava.com/activities/1797954198
JerseyMountainBiker

Post by JerseyMountainBiker »

Hi, could you send me the gpx of the original route - looks great, I think I might have a crack at it.. Many thanks.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Sounds like you had a great day out, anyway - sometimes, getting lost adds to the fun.

BTW, when I read 'gravel caadx' my brain kind of spell-checked it to this
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

@jimbop - if you consider this to be "unfinished busininess", you're welcome to join us on Sunday, for a re-match ;)

Cutty to Butty RIdes again
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

Wave as you cross the a25, I'm only half a mile up the road!
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Had to do a mental ride of the route to work out where we cross the A25 (It's been a long day!)
You must be in Redhill, then?
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

Other way- bletchingley
tahic

Post by tahic »

Pm sent re GPX file
gairym

Post by gairym »

Holy old thread revival batman!

I never did end up riding this route (can't remember why) and so am hoping to do it in the next couple of weeks whilst back in blighty (assuming that my wrist isn't actually fractured, which I'll find out about tomorrow morning).

Anyone done the finished route and got anything to offer or report about how it rides, trail conditions, improvements, closures etc... that might be of use???

Cheers, Gairy.