Tyre query...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gairym

Tyre query...

Post by gairym »

I've got a Continental 'Race King 2.2 29er' tyre which I'm trying to put on a Stans 'Crest' rim but it won't sit right and I'm wondering if anyone knows why or what can be done about it.

It's sitting in the center of the rim (as opposed to against the outside edge/rim-wall) except for where the valve forces the tyre out.

Even when fully inflated it's not sitting right (and is a proper bugger to get on/off as it's so tight) and is running all egg-shaped (due to the hump where it is sitting right near the valve).

Any ideas (I don't have a compressor) how I can get it to sit correctly?

Is this something to do with the rim being made to be run tubeless?

Anyone else experienced this problem?
Ian

Re: Tyre query...

Post by Ian »

Did you moisten the tyre bead with soapy water before fitting?

I just keep pumping with the track pump until the bead has popped into place - usually don't need to exceed 50 psi. Once it's all in place I reduce the pressure back down to about 20 psi to let the sealant seal all the holes.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

What he said. ^^^^^^^
Although I expect Ian can get away with 20psi, you might not. ;)
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Different tubeless rim, same tyre. Not had the problem you have Gairy but it was a bugger to get off, it just wanted to stick there. Try inflating a bit then manipulate the tyre edges out. Failing that try a bit off lube, something that won't corrode rubber, washing up liquid might do the trick.
Ian

Post by Ian »

flatfishy wrote:What he said. ^^^^^^^
Although I expect Ian can get away with 20psi, you might not. ;)
I better add that after the sealant has done its sealing (I usually leave overnight, but sometimes you get a good seal immediately), I pump up to riding pressure which is about 26-28 psi.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Thanks guys, though I'd better add that I'm running the wheel WITH a tube and not tubeless!
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Ian wrote:Did you moisten the tyre bead with soapy water before fitting?

I just keep pumping with the track pump until the bead has popped into place - usually don't need to exceed 50 psi. Once it's all in place I reduce the pressure back down to about 20 psi to let the sealant seal all the holes.
What Ian said, it'll make a lovely "ping" or "pop" sound as it settles into place :)
gairym

Post by gairym »

flatfishy wrote:Although I expect Ian can get away with 20psi, you might not. ;)
What the....?

Ok, ok, so I might not be the lightest rider in the world - point taken.

It seems a little better (still with a tube) after pumping it right up to +60psi and then letting it down but it's not even on both sides (it's popped out more on one side than the other).

I've never had this hassle before and can only assume it's something to do with a tubeless-ready rim being run with a 'normal' tyre and tube set-up???

I think I need to just bite the bullet and go tubeless - no?

What would I need to get for that to happen?

Tape, valves and some goo or is there more to it than that???
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Tape, valves and some goo r is there more to it than that???
That's it ... you can go really cheapskate and use the valve cut from an old tube, insulation tape and goo.
May the bridges you burn light your way
gairym

Post by gairym »

any reason to go for anything other than Stans???
Ian

Post by Ian »

It seems a little better (still with a tube) after pumping it right up to +60psi and then letting it down but it's not even on both sides (it's popped out more on one side than the other).
Reminds me of an old pre-tubeless wheelset I used to have on the Nicolai - it was impossible to seat a tyre with a hand pump, which meant you were buggered out on the trail if you got a puncture. I used to have to get it to between 80-100psi to sit properly - while gingerly pumping away at the track pump and standing just around the corner from the wheel while doing it :shock:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Gairy, I've had the same issue with Stans rims and conti and maxxis tyres when using a tube - the tube just can't force the bead into place in the lower sidewall design of Stans rims, the corner area doesn't seem to see a pressure high enough. I got the contis to seat using a bit of wax lube - no idea if this is good for the tyre but I was on holiday for a week more so after that didn't care.. ) the maxxis seated better with a tube using a track pump and soap but it took more pressure than I was happy with.

Stans work really well tubeless even with the cheapskate method.
zigrat

Post by zigrat »

I may be missing the point (and may have had some wine) but why would you buy a set of Crests and NOT run them tubeless ?..
gairym

Post by gairym »

the plan when i bought the wheel was to eventually run it tubeless but i'd not found the time the get it sorted and so this hassle has prompted me into action.

one order for a set of valves, tape and goo has just been placed!
zigrat

Post by zigrat »

Good luck with it then - should be pretty simple as Crests seem to work really well with every tyre I've had on them. Couple words advice though: 1. Make sure you've plenty of tape overlap, maybe as much as 10 cm before and after the valve hole as a leak here can be really annoying 2. If you''re using the old race kings they're really gas permeable (sometimes you get sealant leaking thru holes in the sidewalls) so use plenty sealant.