MKettle / Meths Experiment.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

MKettle / Meths Experiment.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As much as I like messing about with wood and fires, sometimes it can be a PITA when all you want is a brew. The MKettle is a great bit of kit (see Ians previous post) but I thought it could work better with a different fuel source. Using a small meths burner is something the folk at MKettle recommend so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

The meths stove I chose was a Vargo Ti thing ... mainly because I don't like it and have never had the greatest of success with it. With a little bit of grinding I was able to remove a portion of the stoves outer edge so it fits happily in the recess of the kettle base. The main part of the kettle can now rest on top as it would if you were using wood as fuel. The stove can draw plenty of air through the air vent in the kettles base.

I've always had trouble getting the Vargo stove to bloom and remain lit for long enough to boil water ... not anymore. The chimney effect of the MKettle not only makes the Vargo bloom much sooner but it also makes it burn far fiercer. There's also the benefit of the kettle acting as a superb windshield, set up like this the whole thing is pretty impervious to even the strongest winds.

The MKettle holds enough water for two proper sized brews, so its capacity is somewhere around 900ml. I decided to see just how much water the thing could boil by adding the top pot support which fits over the chimney. I filled the stove with 20ml of meths, filled the kettle but this time I also added a pot containing another 800ml on top.

The results were great (IMO) ... 1700ml of water brought to a boil by 20ml of meths in less than 5 minutes, which obviously means less fuel and more tea ;)

May the bridges you burn light your way
Anthony

Re: MKettle / Meths Experiment.

Post by Anthony »

If that's accurate, even the 800ml boil alone on 20ml of meths is pretty impressive :shock:

I'm currently making a caldera burner copy after treading on the original :? It's a chimney style burner and is quite a lot more tricky to build than the normal pop can stoves. I actually took the calipers around Boots to find an aluminium aerosol can of exactly the correct diameter to fit in the grooves of a Kiticat tin base :oops:
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

Great, like my MKettle but always smelling of bonfires, and I always end up filthy, can be a pain as you said. :x Never owned or used a meths stove, would any of the simple home made ones work in this case do you think.
The old git in the yellow socks
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If that's accurate, even the 800ml boil alone on 20ml of meths is pretty impressive
I know being accurate isn't my usual style ;) but the Vargo will only fit 20ml of fuel maximum. The second pan on top is pretty much making use of free heat.
would any of the simple home made ones work in this case do you think.
Yea, I did try a pop can stove and it worked fine although the flames sat a little lower under the base of the kettle.
Ian

Post by Ian »

mKettles hold about 500ml of water, not 900ml.

Interesting idea though, and adds considerably to the versatility of the kettle.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Plus that's your door step, it doesn't count as real world testing :D

The Caldera is reputably one of the most efficient stoves around but even that needs 22-25ml on meths for a 700ml rolling boil.

Interestingly when I trod on my burner I tried a top-jet red bull stove inside the cone as a replacement and it was noticably less efficient and there was slight sooting to the mug base. Trail designs claim to have done loads of research as to what burner works best and the chimney style clearly do.

My homemade version is clamped to the dining table as the araldite sets, I'll test it tonight and post some pics and a report if it's a success.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ian you are indeed correct about the MKettles capacity ... I was confusing it with the capacity of a Kelly Kettle :oops:

So the figures above are for 1300ml of water not 1700ml, however I still think that's pretty good.

I had another play using a double walled pop can stove. This brought the water in the kettle to a boil faster than when using the Vargo but wasn't able to produce a rolling boil on the pot. I think the trouble with the can stove is the central flame which gets increased by the chimney effect. The central flame obviously isn't an efficient heat source - as noted by the sooty pot base ... something which the Vargo doesn't produce.

I think the ideal stove for the kettle would be a 'penny' type design, so no central flame, with the jets angled straight at the inner side wall of the kettle and a minimal gap between the jets and kettle.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Not come across an Mkettle before. Maybe this site could do with an area / sticky threads that lists gear (and I realise what a PITA that could be to collate and maintain :lol:)?

I got the largest (explorer IIRC) Ghillie Kettle for volunteer trailbuilding days a little while ago. It's a good piece of kit but big and bulky (which I knew it would be) but ideal for groups who aren't lugging loads of stuff too far. All sitting round after a few hours trail building to have bait and fresh brew is a good way to keep folks happy IME.

Are there any significant pro's or con's to the M compared to a smaller size ghille kettle? I was thinking of getting something a little more portable / lighter weight. Are the Mkettle dim's correct, including the fire base? It seems significantly (suspiciaously ;)) smaller than the smallest ghillie.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The sizes on the MKettle site would seem about right.

IMO it does offer advantages over other kettles. It's that bit more compact, far easier to pour/use due to the neoprene sleeve. If these things matter to you then, every part is made in the UK ... right down to the storage bag.

It's a good bit of kit when fueled with wood. The ability to use meths or even solid fuel blocks opens up lots more opportunities though.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Cheeky Monkey wrote:Not come across an Mkettle before. Maybe this site could do with an area / sticky threads that lists gear
Do try to keep up: http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... p?f=7&t=58

;)
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Ah, predates my stumbling over this forum. A truly classic article mind ;)