Yorkshire Dales 200

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ChrisE

Yorkshire Dales 200

Post by ChrisE »

25th and 26th Aug is the Yorkshire Dales 200. Not really a race but just a chance to see what you can do in some of the best riding in the UK.

http://riderscyclecentre.com/yorkshired ... ts-200kms/

The event is always a small one, with a real friendly bunch, and especially Stuart (genuinely the best mechanic that you can let loose on your bike). Just drop Stuart an email and then rock up at his workshop in Skipton for breakfast and coffee before setting off. Always a good event to learn stuff from him and other riders and perhaps a stepping stone to bigger things, longer events, as I found out! Riders are given the GPX file that you can either put into a GPS or mark on a map then off you go. Some nutter will probably ride it without stopping but those having the most fun will have a night out and check out cafes on the route!

Chris
fatbikephil

Re: Yorkshire Dales 200

Post by fatbikephil »

I'm in (again)
Looks a really nice route - a mix of the usual stuff in the 200 and 300 and some new bits. Less climbing than last year but a bit less road too (and not listed as being gravel bike friendly :lol: ) The climb at 150k looks brutal though....
I've optimistically booked both Friday and Saturday night in a travel lodge down the road, based on my performance last year :???:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Unsure as to whether to do it this year. Might do it steady rather than as a oner if I do.

The road section from Giggleswick round to Wray might best be described as "rolling" :wink: Oh, and if you've not done it, there's a real sting in the tail. Not quite up to Gunnerside Gill but ...
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

whitestone wrote:Unsure as to whether to do it this year. Might do it steady rather than as a oner if I do.

The road section from Giggleswick round to Wray might best be described as "rolling" :wink: Oh, and if you've not done it, there's a real sting in the tail. Not quite up to Gunnerside Gill but ...
Oh bugger, it will be dark as well. I also note he takes you down a footpath at one point, just before Grassington......
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Routes changed again fairly dramatically, less climbing and 10 less k :-bd
Still a bit of footpath on the approach to Slaidburn but looks like a routing error on the gpx track as ther is a short stub of route on the road. Lots of loops - the potential to go the wrong way is high.....

Bob - the weather is looking cool and showery, you should come along!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

htrider wrote:Routes changed again fairly dramatically, less climbing and 10 less k :-bd
Still a bit of footpath on the approach to Slaidburn but looks like a routing error on the gpx track as ther is a short stub of route on the road. Lots of loops - the potential to go the wrong way is high.....

Bob - the weather is looking cool and showery, you should come along!
Ooh! That's different. The climb out from Threshfield is a bit of a bugger. The road junction onto the A5 at 188 is blind. The old railway after that is "interesting".

Shops/cafes at Settle, Clapham, Wray, Slaidburn, Settle, Threshfield, Gargrave
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I did wonder about the railway line seen as how there is no ROW on it - I assumed it would be a cycleway or something.....
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

htrider wrote:I did wonder about the railway line seen as how there is no ROW on it - I assumed it would be a cycleway or something.....
The first bit's an access track to a farm. The next bit is used as a practice/demonstration track by a local Landrover/Range Rover centre (hence interesting), don't know about the last bit as I've not ridden that. Never had a problem with riding on the first two bits. Here's a shot of some of the last bit

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Best wear me long socks then!
By that time I'll not care what the track is like :lol:
Mike

Post by Mike »

Not seen the route yet but as iv now dropped out of iom trip and I'm still in the dales I may as well enter this before going home and the weather is looking good hopefully not as hot as the 300 was though :)
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Mike, compared to how it was earlier it's bloody freezing!

Quick route notes.

The usual start but then goes over Barden Moor the opposite way to how the YD300 finishes. Fast riding over by Malham Tarn then the only real technical bit of riding down Stockdale Lane to Settle. Steep climb out of Settle then some good bridleways round to Clapham. Rolling roads to Wray. Fairly steep climbing to get on to the Roman Road over Bowland. More rolling road to Gisburn Forest through that and then on to Long Preston. The same route out of Settle as last year's YD200 including "that" climb! Back over past Malham Tarn. There's no longer a sting in the tail, it's moved further forward in the route :o a stiff climb out of Threshfield, grassy descent then you climb up Mastiles Lane :shock: There's another short climb after that but you are rewarded with one of the longest fast flowing descents in the South Dales. Not flat but a lot easier from there to the finish.

Stuart marketed last year's route as being "gravel friendly" but I reckon this year's is more suitable for such steeds, there's only the bit of BW across Barden Moor and the descent of Stockdale Lane where they'd struggle. Not saying there's nothing else :wink:
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

whitestone wrote:Unsure as to whether to do it this year. Might do it steady rather than as a oner if I do.

Where is the sting then and what is there to watch out for?
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

is there a tap at Keasden Church approx 067 Km in?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

dlovett wrote:is there a tap at Keasden Church approx 067 Km in?
No idea but you've only just gone through Clapham which has a couple of cafes and a pub.

The original sting in the tail I mentioned was in the woods just outside Skipton - a steep technical section dropping off the old Roman road straight into town. Now the "sting" is a couple of steep climbs.

Edit: Settle is at 46km; Clapham at 67km; Wray at 81km; Slaidburn (cafe) at 103km; Settle at 133km; Threshfield at 156km; Gargrave at 181km. So you've got a maximum of 30km or so between shops/cafes. Slaidburn would be the one that you'd need to push for as it shuts at around 5pm. Co-op in Settle is open till 10pm, slightly off-route the filling station in Settle is open till 11pm
Mike

Post by Mike »

Looking at Sundays weather I'd say this is a straight through event now to miss the rain. And yes bob, I'm in my van above settle and it's very cold!!
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Thanks for the notes, great to have a local’s insider info again!!
whitestone wrote:Mike, compared to how it was earlier it's bloody freezing!

Quick route notes.

The usual start but then goes over Barden Moor the opposite way to how the YD300 finishes. Fast riding over by Malham Tarn then the only real technical bit of riding down Stockdale Lane to Settle. Steep climb out of Settle then some good bridleways round to Clapham. Rolling roads to Wray. Fairly steep climbing to get on to the Roman Road over Bowland. More rolling road to Gisburn Forest through that and then on to Long Preston. The same route out of Settle as last year's YD200 including "that" climb! Back over past Malham Tarn. There's no longer a sting in the tail, it's moved further forward in the route :o a stiff climb out of Threshfield, grassy descent then you climb up Mastiles Lane :shock: There's another short climb after that but you are rewarded with one of the longest fast flowing descents in the South Dales. Not flat but a lot easier from there to the finish.

Stuart marketed last year's route as being "gravel friendly" but I reckon this year's is more suitable for such steeds, there's only the bit of BW across Barden Moor and the descent of Stockdale Lane where they'd struggle. Not saying there's nothing else :wink:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Hmm, rain just started so riding through was the right strategy.

Yesterday's weather was nice and clear with a fresh breeze. Cool first thing and once the sun went down but just right during the day. First rider back finished in 12hr15, I managed just under 15hrs. A very rideable course though one or two of the bigger descents might not have been "gravel friendly", probably only 20 metres needed to be off the bike.

A pity that so few turned out to ride it. Just eight.
Mike

Post by Mike »

i for one thoroughly enjoyed myself yesterday and the weather held out nicely for us, as bob said its a shame on numbers. But like Stu said there are so many events now that something has to give i guess. Off for a rest now im knackered!
whonickedmename

Post by whonickedmename »

Hoping to do this in a couple of weeks time whilst my better half is on a skills course at Gisburn...first time out on my lonesome :o
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

whonickedmename wrote:Hoping to do this in a couple of weeks time whilst my better half is on a skills course at Gisburn...first time out on my lonesome :o
Missed a couple of cafes out in my summary: there's one at the campsite just after Stainforth, there's one at the main car park in Gisburn Forest and then there's the Dog & Partridge and the old vicarage in Tosside after you've been through the forest.
whonickedmename

Post by whonickedmename »

Thanks for the route/cafe tips Whitestone :mrgreen:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Just out of interest.. anyone got the gpx for this 200 please as the original link to RidersCycle centre is now a dead link... :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Got 2016, 17 and 18 gpx's if you pm me an email address I'll email them. 2016 looks the nicest. 2017 was meant to be gravel bike friendly but wasn't :lol:

I see Stuart is running the 200 and 300 next year on the same weekend, early July :-bd
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

htrider wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:26 pm Got 2016, 17 and 18 gpx's if you pm me an email address I'll email them. 2016 looks the nicest. 2017 was meant to be gravel bike friendly but wasn't :lol:

I see Stuart is running the 200 and 300 next year on the same weekend, early July :-bd
Thanks Phil. I already got the 2016 one from ripping it from Bobs strava page via his blog... 2018 oe 2017 or both I suppose. Although for it to count as an ITT attempt (just supposing from what I remember) Bb200 and the YD200 are both changing routes hence I guess it'd need to be the latest route, right?

Shafiq.staffnurse@gmail.com please kind sir :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've done them all Shaf so you should be able to find them on my Strava feed.

Stuart changed/changes the 200 each year so any will do. As Phil says, 2016 was probably the nicest, from memory it wasn't quite 200km - more like 185km.

The 300 originally had a different start and finish but part of the start was across an estate track where they aren't keen on cyclists so it changed for the second and subsequent years.