Massively OT: slow evolution to 27.5

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gairym

Massively OT: slow evolution to 27.5

Post by gairym »

Ok, I appreciate that this might be so far removed from what is relevant to most on here that it'll warrant zero replies but.....

My trusty 26" Santa Cruz 'Blur LT2' is dying a slow, painful and potentially very expensive death.

I can't afford (nor justify) the mahoosive spend that is a new bouncy bike and so was considering buying a used SC 'Bronson' frame and switching (temporarily until the bits need replacing) all the parts from my Blur.

The only thing I'd need in addition to the frame is a new back wheel in order to get the thing up and running.

I've read there'd be a 12.5mm lowering of the BB but surely I can live with that for a bit???

Anyone have first hand (or engineering) experience of this concept?

A great idea or sillier than a silly thing?

Any intel appreciated.

Cheers, Gairy.
johnnystorm

Re: Massively OT: slow evolution to 27.5

Post by johnnystorm »

Is an old Bronson with worn out parts and the wrong wheels cheaper than a "brand new and it all matches" Marin Hawk Hill or B17?
gairym

Post by gairym »

johnnystorm wrote:Is an old Bronson with worn out parts and the wrong wheels cheaper than a "brand new and it all matches" Marin Hawk Hill or B17?
Quite possibly considering I have a LOT of experience of Marin bikes, their geometries, their build quality and their customer service.

In contrast I really like Santa Cruz bikes, their geometries, build quality and their ethos.

I see what you're saying but I can get a SC frame and wheel for under a grand and that's not gonna buy me anything of quality as a complete bike.

Whereas if I get the new high quality frame, and rear wheel, then fork then eventually front wheel I'll have a whole new bike bought over time whilst remaining rideable throughout.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I have a santa cruz Blur original [ medium] that i have just replaced a the bearings and linkages [about £100] in medium if you want to be tempted to stay on 26ers as it aint dead

I dont really need it tbh - its currently a full bike and you can have what you want with it- or use it that much and its shame as they are
great bikes.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Well, the worst that can happen is that you think the BB is too low and you have to speed up the new wheel (or just rim/spokes) purchase. Crack on, I say.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Lazarus wrote:I have a santa cruz Blur original [ medium] that i have just replaced a the bearings and linkages [about £100] in medium if you want to be tempted to stay on 26ers as it aint dead

I dont really need it tbh - its currently a full bike and you can have what you want with it- or use it that much and its shame as they are
great bikes.
Not opposed to just fixing it up and keeping it but I can't even be sure until I try new bushings/bearings if that's all that is causing the problems or if I've damaged the swing arm and/or linkages.
Charliecres wrote:Well, the worst that can happen is that you think the BB is too low and you have to speed up the new wheel (or just rim/spokes) purchase. Crack on, I say.
That's what I was thinking. Just need to get Mrs Boss to sign off on the new purchase....

Wish me luck!
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Some riders loose pedals more by going with more sag or when riding a trashed air can.

Just watch out on your pedals in exposed traverses or when speeding through rocks and stumps.

Changing BB height even by little margins has caused me to mess up my feet, cranks and pedals more than on one occasion. Good thing is, it's a 'new' bike, some getting used to will be needed anyways and thus it's less likely to get strikes.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

gairym wrote:
johnnystorm wrote:Is an old Bronson with worn out parts and the wrong wheels cheaper than a "brand new and it all matches" Marin Hawk Hill or B17?
Quite possibly considering I have a LOT of experience of Marin bikes, their geometries, their build quality and their customer service.

In contrast I really like Santa Cruz bikes, their geometries, build quality and their ethos.

I see what you're saying but I can get a SC frame and wheel for under a grand and that's not gonna buy me anything of quality as a complete bike.

Whereas if I get the new high quality frame, and rear wheel, then fork then eventually front wheel I'll have a whole new bike bought over time whilst remaining rideable throughout.
Not being bolshy....but how recently?

Marin have a new importer, all their suspension designs are totally different from the Whyte designs era and the USA management has all changed. A grand for a complete bike with a 1x drivetrain ready to ride away has to be tempting....
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

http://www.cotic.co.uk/news/2016/26aintquitedead

Richard Baybutt tried 26" on a 27.5" Cotic. Didn't die. YMMV.