Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Asposium

Sapim spoke advice

Post by Asposium »

Having a dynamo hub wheel built.
SON, centre lock, 32 hole

Spokes I requested sapim race are out of stock
Shop offered sapim d-light at same price.

Anyone experience of d-light spokes?
lune ranger

Re: Sapim spoke advice

Post by lune ranger »

I have wheels built with D-Lite. SON front, Rohloff rear on an all road type bike. Disk brakes.
The bike is used as a commuter 3 days a week. It is also ridden off road loaded for CX/ gravel etc.
I built the wheels myself. They remain true and no spokes have broken over a 2-3000km
As far as I recall they have a narrower centre section 1.65mm vs 1.8mm. Sapim say that makes them lighter but a little less robust than Race.
Jobst Brandt of the Wheel Building Book argues a thinner spike is less likely to break as it is more elastic.
Bottom line is they connect the hub to the rim and mine have not broken therefore they seem ok to me :smile:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Bottom line is that Sapim along with DT and Ritchey (if you van find them) ate all hood spokes.

2nd to bottom line is that each spoke will eventually at some ppiny reach its fatigue strength and break. But yhat ppint came recenty on some DT spokes (one or 2 of yhem) afyer possibly 15 years of use so I binned tgem all and replaced all the spokes.

3rd from bottom line: their not cxray or whatever them silly flat bladed spokes are called.... Get the Sapims and just ensure the wheelbyuld is strong and eqyally tensioned between adjacent spokes on eiyher side. Should lasy a very long time. Sapims normally have the logo engraved (as do DT) and its a sign of standing by their product. Buy em

(Soz for repeating myself if I did :-bd
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

I use d-lights for just about everything other than the big bouncy MTB. Solaris, commuter and cross bike I think have 4 wheels between them using d-lights, quite happily. Full Susser is on whatever the 1.8 butted ones are.