Prescription (sun) glasses?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Sarah

Prescription (sun) glasses?

Post by Sarah »

:shock:

Looking for cheap prescription (only +1) cycling glasses, clear and or tinted.

I can't see any point in getting expensive ones as a, I will batter or loose them, b, I can't afford it anyway!

Looking for any recommendations please.

Thanks

Sarah
Sarah
Mariner

Re: Prescription (sun) glasses?

Post by Mariner »

I went to Vision Express (other alternatives available) and once I was given the cost of my poseur branded sunglasses of choice they recommended a similar frame which only cost £39.
You then spec the lenses according to what you can afford.
I went for the full prescription photochromatic so I didn't need to carry two pairs of glasses out cycling at half the price of the branded ones.
If you ask their advice they are really very helpful.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I had some of these a few years back https://www.optilabs.com/

They are OK, but I then splashed out on some Oakleys and would never go back. I take great care of the Oakleys as a result of having spent so much money on them
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Dave Barter wrote:I had some of these a few years back https://www.optilabs.com/

They are OK, but I then splashed out on some Oakleys and would never go back. I take great care of the Oakleys as a result of having spent so much money on them
That principle has served me well too. I'm on my second set of lenses now - prescription is a fraction stronger - but I've otherwise had them for almost 10 years.
jBay

Post by jBay »

I’ve had the Optilabs and Oakley (with Oakley lense), the Oakley lenses seem to last longer.
BigRingGrinder

Post by BigRingGrinder »

Another Optilabs user here. My problem is that my prescription is quite strong which seemed to limit my choices and like you didn't want to spend a fortune. I got them to send me a couple of frames so I could try them before ordering, They may not be the most stylish but seem to do the job.
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

+1 is a reading prescription (to correct your inability to focus on near objects), as you'd probably only use these for reading maps etc just pick up a cheap pair from poundland etc, I think you can also get cheap tinted ones designed for reading whilst on holiday

I wouldn't have thought riding in them would be necessary
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Yeah I started out reading on +1., now on +2 for that [maps etc] and +1 for general around and about.

I figured as I like to have eye protection I might as well be able to see clearly too. :-bd

Was hoping for something a bit cheaper as I am not gentle or good a keeping up with stuff. Might have to re-learn that one.
Sarah
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Do you need to wear the +1 all the time to be able to see where you're going? I need reading glasses now so I wear bi-focal safety glasses when on the bike to enable me to see my garmin and maps etc. and most importantly read them menu at cafe stops. I have some of these I bought on ebay

https://www.voltxsafety.com/trade-const ... ls-p26.htm

A quick google show that prescription safety glasses are also available.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

sean_iow wrote:Do you need to wear the +1 all the time to be able to see where you're going? I need reading glasses now so I wear bi-focal safety glasses when on the bike to enable me to see my garmin and maps etc. and most importantly read them menu at cafe stops. I have some of these I bought on ebay

https://www.voltxsafety.com/trade-const ... ls-p26.htm

A quick google show that prescription safety glasses are also available.
Being a cheapskate this is what I do. Bifocal so I can see my gps on the handlebars when I need to, without stopping to put the glasses on. They're not very durable, I have to say, and the lenses scratch easily, but I can still see enough to ride. Then if they get too bad, I get another pair. If I leave them somewhere, pffft! I've only lost a tenner.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...