Words fail me ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Words fail me ...

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Even when you know just how stupid, selfish, greedy and plain twatish people can be, I still find this hard to believe.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-d ... e-44632621

... rather than adding this to the LNT thread, I thought I'd clog up the internet with another post.
May the bridges you burn light your way
darbeze

Re: Words fail me ...

Post by darbeze »

Ah yes, just read that myself...

You cannot (or don't want to) believe that people can be so selfish/stupid...

Also according to the media, people have been found lighting camp fires overnight not too far from Saddleworth Moor and Winter Hill too.

It really does beggar belief.

:shock:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Indeed. I read that before lunch. I like the bit: "(the company) claims its "flame retardant" lanterns are biodegradable with a "limited burn time" and are therefore not a fire hazard." Safety matches have a limited burn time and somehow people manage to use them to light things, what makes them think a wandering fire won't do so :roll:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Even when you know just how stupid, selfish, greedy and plain twatish people can be, I still find this hard to believe.
Nothing surprises me about the bellendery that people are capable of anymore.
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Spectacular. American owners tho so can't expect much....

I live a few miles from Winter Hill and can see the smoke from home. It's beyond tragic. And yes people are going out to have a look n needing rescuing, and there are reports of more fires being lit.

Nothing suprised me in stupidity these days.
Sarah
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

They could middle class the feck out of that if they wanted to. Do LED ones with built in GPS trackers and reward people who bring them back with carbon credits or something. :lol:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I can also see winter hill from my house and the got a chap who lit multiple fires on walk - clearly intent on burning the Nab down as well

Its such a weird thing to want to do - what do they gain from this ?
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

I hear you. Why ? Doesn't begin.....

I would be very interested to get involved in the restoration efforts in some way. Regeneration is part of the cycle. Sadly it is forced upon us by these idiots. If anyone sees any projects in the future, trying to be positive and look forward....

Sarah
Sarah
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

The local mp has written to them point I g out that the local fire service don’t agree with the idea. They are part of the licensing process so unlikely they will get (or keep) the licence to have the event.
cyclingtiger

Post by cyclingtiger »

We have a lantern festival in Sheffield every year and it's absolutely brilliant.

People make their own lanterns and then they have a parade through a small neighbourhood. At the end the lanterns are turned off and people take them home. It's really not difficult to do this sort of thing well.

Roobell7

Post by Roobell7 »

Seen on Saturday evening in Tring Park. I was up on the Ridgeway carriage trail looking from the view point

ImageUntitled by Andy Wright, on Flickr
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I reckon that's 200yds .... I could hit them from there :wink:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I forgot to take a photo but ... Pretty well every point in the Dales where a footpath or bridleway leaves a road currently has a sign: "Extreme fire risk" but on yesterday's ride we came across one here http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=397208 ... &A=Y&Z=120. It's at least an hour from any public road, it might just be a bit late to be telling people "No barbeques, camp fires or naked flames" :roll:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Go up to them. Use your water to (try and) extinguish the fire, call the police as soon as you have network.

Why bother taking photos from a distance and posting it on here..?

I did such, without the police though, during a ride in a dry spell last year. They were really pissed. I said I was staying in the area and going to keep an eye out (which I didn't) and call the police should they light it again. Yes they threatened me, but nothing happened. They bluffed, so did I.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Hills are on fire near me (have been for three days), likely due to assholes like those.
Roobell7

Post by Roobell7 »

Alpinum wrote:Go up to them. Use your water to (try and) extinguish the fire, call the police as soon as you have network.

Why bother taking photos from a distance and posting it on here..?

I did such, without the police though, during a ride in a dry spell last year. They were really pissed. I said I was staying in the area and going to keep an eye out (which I didn't) and call the police should they light it again. Yes they threatened me, but nothing happened. They bluffed, so did I.
Not as easy as it looks and I didn't take the picture to post on this forum :|

Here's the picture I stopped to take

ImageUntitled by Andy Wright, on Flickr

And here's the map image.

ImageTring Park by Andy Wright, on Flickr

They were, I guess at the path intersection below the 93 and I was up on the trail through Bulls Wood.
After 6 hours riding in 30+ heat, my brain was a bit fried. I did consider who I could contact to report this but couldn't think it through. And the thought of getting down there for a confrontation with the Wendover locals didn't appeal
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

What are peoples views on things like meths stoves in weather like this? Surely even those present quite a fire risk.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Any stove presents a certain risk but it's generally far more controlled and easy to manage. 'Campfires', such as is Andy's picture aren't generally lit to cook on or provide warmth ... they're simply lit by nobs believing it's an integral part of the outdoor experience as seen on TV and in magazines / books. A point that comes across when Andy mentions it was 30 degrees at the time :???:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

mechanicaldope wrote:What are peoples views on things like meths stoves in weather like this? Surely even those present quite a fire risk.
I think extreme caution should be exercised at all times with fire out and about just now.
I highly rate my ability to control a fire but don't think I'm immune from misfortune.
On two overnighters on Dartmoor recently I opted for no stove at all once and on the second time used a meths stove. The stove was used on a shingle bank by the side of a stream with nothing organic around that could take s flame.
People use stoves and even make fires in very arid countries all the time. Proper precautions need to be taken and risk limited as much as possible. Be on guard and prepared to put out any stray flames at the first instance.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I was called to 14 grass fires yesterday set by kids and we are a city station
Tw@ts
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Rode over a smoking fag butt the other day and put it out (assume thrown from a car), it was 1ft from a super dry grass embankment! :roll:
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

mechanicaldope wrote:What are peoples views on things like meths stoves in weather like this? Surely even those present quite a fire risk.
Bivvied out near Strathyre last weekend we decided to use the stove on the bike track rather than in the field we were camping in due to how dry it was. Good thing we did as Gill managed to knock it over and send flaming meths all over the place! Think I'll stick to cold Ginsters pasties until we've had some substantial rain!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

On my last trip I was concerned by this and set up on the track on the way home, this was 3 weeks ago and looking back at the picture (near the bottom of the report) the grass was still green-ish then and I was concerned enough not to risk it at my bivi spot.

http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... 10&t=12687

It's much worse now so I wouldn't even risk that. Where I live all rides cross enough roads/pass car parks at viewpoints etc. so there is always an option to have a brew on tarmac, often with a bench so sit on. Perhaps living somewhere so built up has it's benefits after all.

On my ride home from the pub late Saturday evening I saw someone had a bonfire in what looked like the middle of a field of dry grass, and it looked like it was left unattended As per the thread title - words fail me :roll:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Yesterday, on my BAM ride, I was on the Rooley Moor cobbles. There was a grass fire burning in the distance on a slope below the wind farm. What to do? It's not an emergency as such, but I can't not do anything so dialled 911. Got through to Fire Service.
Me). "I'm on Rooley More and I can see a grass fire on the moor below the wind farm"
Responder). "What road is that on?"
Me) "There's no name, it's a bridle path over Rooley Moor, below the wind farm. I can't give you a road name because bridle paths don't have road names"
Responder). "I can't help you if I don't know the name of the road"
Me). "It's on Rooley Moor, there's no road name, it's a bridle path. I can give you a grid reference though"
Responder). "I can't take a grid reference, I need a road name"
Me) "If I give you the grid reference, someone can look on a map and find where to go"
Responder). Click - she hung up.

I was dumbfounded. It wasn't her day for the brain cells that day...

Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...