South East Bivvy in March?

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dan_K

South East Bivvy in March?

Post by Dan_K »

Anyone in the SE/London area want to get together in March? Doesn't have to be anything mental, just a North or South Downs bivvy.
I'm thinking 9th March would be good.
Zippy

Re: South East Bivvy in March?

Post by Zippy »

I live in North Essex. And sometimes Essex counts as East, and sometimes South East.

Anyway, if it's not too difficult to get to, I'm listening. Although I'm not really sorted bike packing wise on a MTB yet... but I could get some CX tyres and use my Cx bike if it's not too mental. ;)
InspiredRamblings

Post by InspiredRamblings »

I'd be up for it but am unfortunately away both the weekends of the 9th and 16th March...
Salsa Horsethief XT (2020)
Jamis Dragonslayer (2016)

http://www.uninspiredramblings.com
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I'm away the other weekends in March. Maybe we can sort something for April.

Zippy, how far are you prepared to travel? Where in Essex are you?

I have a few ideas. We could do the London to Brighton off road route or some of the South Downs Way.
Could get the train down the coast and do a coast ride or all pile in one car and head somewhere else.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Hey,

I'm Fulham based and interested in all thats been mentioned - particularly the off-rad London-Brighton route!

I'm fairly new to bikepacking however, still waiting for a lot of the new kit I've bought to arrive!

Mac
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Mac wrote:Hey,

I'm Fulham based and interested in all thats been mentioned - particularly the off-rad London-Brighton route!

I'm fairly new to bikepacking however, still waiting for a lot of the new kit I've bought to arrive!

Mac
Good to have you aboard Mac. There seems to be a couple of us in the south east now so hopefully we can get some trips going. If you're doing the WRT this year and want to car share, let me know. Keep your eyes on the forum and we'll try to get something organised.
What have you got on order?
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I'm in Colchester, which is about an hour from the Dartford crossing.

I'm probably alright with a 1.5 hour drive for a casual overnighter(i.e. after work friday), and a longer drive if it's something a bit longer.

TBH though, I've got a few things going on and need to get done this march, so I probably won't join in this month. :oops:
MM-on-POINT

Post by MM-on-POINT »

I have the 16th pegged for my last southeast bivi before becomimg a welsh citizen, me and bike man as knowen on here but never heard off, was planning on a local (essex) bivi but if you have a route and a spot planned I am happy to join up.
Yet me as much detail as possible please.
:D
InspiredRamblings

Mac wrote: I'm fairly new to bikepacking however, still waiting for a lot of the new kit I've bought to arrive!

Mac
Me too. Have bike toured before (fully loaded). Have bivvied before (walking). But never combined the bike and the bivvying lightweightness. Going to do a day ride on Sunday I think to test out the frame bag / Mountain Lion / seatpost bag with some load in them... :-)

Mac

Post by Mac »

Hey

I'm waiting on an alpkit frame bag to arrive. I'd be really interested in what you think of the wildcat seatbag as I was going to scour the reviews online and purchase on Monday.

Having persuaded myself that bikepacking is a fairly cheap hobby I've magically spent loads and its all this forums fault - I blame you guys! Down bag, frame bag, new alpkit tent, upgrade of all things to merino and I haven't even started looking at cooking stuff yet! Can't wait to get out there and use it.

Regarding the WRT yeah that sounds like a plan. I'm not sure I can do it yet - will check the dates now
Mac

Post by Mac »

InspiredRamblings

I'm sure these expenses are mostly one offs... Aren't they? Unless it becomes a bit of an obsession... I don't have a wildcat saddle bag - mine is a Revelate one. Everyone seems to love the wildcat ones tho. Stable and you can remove the dry bag to your tent /bivi. I'd get one if I hadn't already got the Revelate.

Mac

Post by Mac »

Yeah

It's all one off sunk cost now and needed upgrading anyway. Unforunately the WRT crashes with a big summer ride I'm planning so I'm going to have to skip this year - it looks vaguely exciting!
InspiredRamblings

Have just tried out the gear on the bike for the first proper ride last Sunday. Not an overnighter, just a ride to test how the bags feel on the bike. Write up here.

Shalarim

Post by Shalarim »

If you guys to the London to Brighton off road, would be very interested in route/campsite :D
InspiredRamblings

Shalarim wrote:If you guys to the London to Brighton off road, would be very interested in route/campsite :D
Not sure if the Downs Link is part of the London-Brighton off road route, but it goes from Guildford to Shoreham by Sea (just to the West of Brighton). We did it in a day and didn't stay overnight though there are places you could wild camp I think. It cuts through the South Downs rather than climbing over them. There is some information on the route here.

YetiTony

Post by YetiTony »

New to the bikepacking myself, in the Chelmsford area (Essex).
Just signed up to the WRT and need a couple of nights out to test kit etc.
Would be interested in tagging along on something.
Did the London to Brighton off road with the BHF a couple of years ago. Good ride but not the most exciting of routes. Could dig out the route if people are interested?
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Hi Tony. Welcome!

Seems we failed on dates to get this sorted. Anyone got any ideas or dates in mind?
YetiTony

Post by YetiTony »

Planning a kit test night out. Just 1 night.
I have the below dates available to do this:
April: 12/13/19/20th...
Plan to start about 5-6pm, ride for a couple of hours and find a spot. Camp out. Get up early and ride for a couple more hours and head home. If I'm on my own then will do it in my local area around Danbury, Essex.
I am open to other offers and areas (south east) but can't get a full days riding in. If anyone wants to join me then let me know?
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I'll ride down and meet you in Danbury that weekend Tony, I'm just down the road in Colchester.
YetiTony

Post by YetiTony »

Hey Zippy,

Great news!
Would a Friday or Saturday night be better for you?
As mentioned I can do two weekends in April if you have a preference?
Need to test out my tarp set up and how well my bike handles being fully laden.

Have you much experience of this bikepacking?
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

YetiTony wrote:Hey Zippy,

Great news!
Would a Friday or Saturday night be better for you?
As mentioned I can do two weekends in April if you have a preference?
Need to test out my tarp set up and how well my bike handles being fully laden.

Have you much experience of this bikepacking?
I'm pretty much at the need to experiment with setup and gear stage, so stopping early to faff with setup and what works etc. sounds good :lol:

I probably won't have any MTB's working by then, so I suspect I'll get some nobbly tyres for my cx/commuter bike, which I know will be fine for riding round Danbury way :) (providing mud doesn't get stuck in the mudgaurds)

Currently Friday the 12th / Saturday 13th would be best for me.
YetiTony

Post by YetiTony »

Hey Zippy.

Shall we pencil in Saturday the 13th April that way it gives me more time to prepare kit before heading over to Danbury. We can confirm meeting times and locations nearer the time.
Doubt you will need MTB, we can piece together some of the flatter, drier routes to find a camping spot.

Looking forward to it, hopefully the weather will improve before then. I believe we are seeing the dizzy heights of 5 Deg this weekend!
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Sounds good to me, put the date in my diary. I best order some CX tyres :lol: