SON dynamo hub help

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Asposium

SON dynamo hub help

Post by Asposium »

I am finally considered a SON dynamo hub for a gravel bike /bikepacking wheel build.
Hub must be 12mm thru axle and centrelock disc rotor.
Black.
Spoke count not important, 28 or 32.

Looking at the SON website there are two options, either....
SONdelux 12 disc center lock, 400g
OR
SON 28 12 disc center lock, 420g

The only obvious difference is the 20 grams weight.
What are the other differences??
Asked SON, no real help. Can’t find anything on the web.
whitestone

Re: SON dynamo hub help

Post by whitestone »

The SONDelux was originally developed for 20" wheels so might not output as much power at lower speeds as the SON 28 due to fewer wheel rotations for a given distance travelled. From the latter's name it seems like it was designed with 700c/29er wheels in mind.

I've the Delux (it got sent by accident rather than the 28) and while I've not noticed low power output on my commuter I don't have the 28 to compare it with. I only use it for lights though, not to charge anything.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Ah, thanks.

Plan on only charging a USB battery pack, likely via Sinewave Revolution charge converter.

Been chatting with the Sinewave engineer, very informative discussion.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

As above: get the SON 28 as it has higher output. Schmidt recommends this hub for charging purposes. They are amazing btw.
I have a 12 year old SON 28 that has crossed 2 continents, been submerged in countless river crossings and has had 3 rims.
My LoveMud Juice is junk in 14 months.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Scud

Post by Scud »

Not me, but this for sale on Singletrack...

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topi ... k-32-hole/
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Scud wrote:Not me, but this for sale on Singletrack...

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topi ... k-32-hole/
Thanks, but would only buy a SON
Seen too many bad reviews of SP to even consider them
Hardly seen any bad reviews of SON
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Some figures

My wife has the SP-PX8 dynamo. Yesterday we checked the charge rate on her commute by using one of those in-line USB meters. She was going quick enough to charge for 20 mins and produced 180mAh of charge. Whether that's good, bad or indifferent I don't know but to fully charge a 3600mAh 18650 battery at that rate is going to take nearly 7hrs of riding at a sufficient pace to keep things ticking over. This assumes all the charge passing through the meter is actually stored, maybe allow 10% for chemical inefficiencies so it's closer to 8 hours of charging.

My Garmin Oregon uses around 4000mAh for a long day's riding as an example.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Compared to my SP6, SP8x and love mud the SON 28 put out much more power at lower speeds. This is a shown by a brighter light, nothing more scientific.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

whitestone wrote:Some figures

My wife has the SP-PX8 dynamo. Yesterday we checked the charge rate on her commute by using one of those in-line USB meters. She was going quick enough to charge for 20 mins and produced 180mAh of charge. Whether that's good, bad or indifferent I don't know but to fully charge a 3600mAh 18650 battery at that rate is going to take nearly 7hrs of riding at a sufficient pace to keep things ticking over. This assumes all the charge passing through the meter is actually stored, maybe allow 10% for chemical inefficiencies so it's closer to 8 hours of charging.
I assume that's measured after it's passed through some sort of converter? I'm just wondering if there are statistics for how efficient they are too?
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Cycling About did an airticle on that a while ago:

https://www.cyclingabout.com/dynamo-hub ... b-testing/
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ScotRoutes wrote:
whitestone wrote:Some figures

I assume that's measured after it's passed through some sort of converter? I'm just wondering if there are statistics for how efficient they are too?
Yes, after conversion. My wife's one of these https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s208p35 ... Hub-Dynamo. I bought an Igaro D1 off Rich Seip so I could compare the two but you'd have to ride a good distance at exactly the same speed along the entire route to make it a valid comparison.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

As I stated many times before; SON 28 and "Forumslader"
It doesn't get any better.

Have the SON on my fatbike which only gets used in winter on snow and thus hasn't (yet) seen huge distances, but still a couple of thousand km and many freeze/thaw cycles (something that kills many other dyno hubs apparently). It's still like new and power output is simply stunning. With the "Forumslader" mk 2 or 3 I get a > 75 % charge on my Galaxy S7 with laughable 40 km of low paced riding. Like 10 km/h ave.
40 km...
Not even worth mentioning how quick I get my small GPS charged...

Charging even happens when I push my bike.
When the lamp is on, or when I'm charging only of the buffer battery things aren't that fun though. There's probably 30 % of power loss due to the inefficiency when charging a battery to charge a battery. But, if the charger is on the hub (w/o lights on) the power goes straight through it seems and feed's the electronic devices utterly fast. Couldn't be happier.
I'll soon get SON for my girlfriends and own every day bike.
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

I’ve had two SP dynamos. Just after a few hundred miles, both failed and no better than a paper weight.

I’ve now been using two SON 28 disc hubs. They just work.

Use the hub with a sinewave revolution USB device. I either connect my iPhone 7 directly which is the most efficient use of the power, and just keep the phone charged during the day whilst using the ViewRanger app.

Also charge a nitecore charger when needed.

Now got a 3rd SON dynamo for a 700c wheelset