two newbies need to learn the ropes!!

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

mrrosscube93

two newbies need to learn the ropes!!

Post by mrrosscube93 »

hi everyone me and a mate from work have just got the gear to go bivvying up the lake district :D
going to try the gear out soon in a local wood one night this weekend but in march April time we are looking to go for a two night bike trip up the lake district Cumbria Im just asking if any one else is interested in this ride.
nothing too extreme but not boring either haha. As we are new to this go easy on us!!
Cube stereo 2007
Mike

Re: two newbies need to learn the ropes!!

Post by Mike »

me n chew r riding sat Sun with bivy out sat night. looking to do around 50 miles starting ambleside. not sure where we will bivy out yet. ill be up for a ride in March if it comes off
mrrosscube93

Post by mrrosscube93 »

Okay sounds fun I wont be joining you on the first run this weekend bit will keep you posted with plans! Where abouts you based?
Cube stereo 2007
Mike

Post by Mike »

worcestershire. my girly lives in ennerdale so will be up there a fair amount this yr
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Where are you going Mr Cube?
I should be in the lakes this weekend for a night out. Not sure if its going to be Saturday or Sunday night yet.
mrrosscube93

Post by mrrosscube93 »

No route planned yet just still gathering bits of gear. Anywhere in the lakes would be okay for me.
Cube stereo 2007
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

If you can make Sunday night out I'll tag along with you if thats alright.
I'm going to be coming from Carlisle so I would've picked North lakes.
I have a spot by Ullswater earmarked I want to try. Cracking view in the morning too.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Flatfishy three of us are riding sat-sun bivying out sat night but were around coniston area, maybe if we get finished earlish sunday we could come join u in a bivy. we prob av to night ride into u tho....or u could join us sat
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

My limited window of opportunity is Sunday late afternoon to ride from Askham to Hallin Fell just West of Howtown on Ullswater.
I'm expecting at least half my ride to be in darkness but I shouldn't need to be in a big rush to head back to pick up the kids on Monday morning. Grandma and Grandad are hopefully capable. :roll:

Let me know if this fits in with your plans.
thedanwhalley

Post by thedanwhalley »

Hey guys,

When you thinking of heading out?

:-)
DJ Dan

Post by DJ Dan »

Well, after a couple of months lurking I've decided to join the dark side.

Me and a work mate have finally decided on an assault of Coniston Old Man (read carefully :D ) in the Lakes. We've been slowly collecting gear and ideas, the plan is to kick off at lunchtime next Saturday from Barrow, cycle to Coniston and grab some bait, then cycle up while its still light somewhere onto the top.

It will probably end up something like Carry On Camping but hey, we'll have a laugh. Hopefully the weather will be kind to us .... yeah right :roll:
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Bait is a word I don't hear anymore since moving down south. :D
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Nor "marra" I imagine ;)
DJ Dan

Post by DJ Dan »

Lol I know its like another language round here, the further you get into the sticks the worse it gets ! What with Gadgey's, Charva's, Yats, Kessing etc ... :? sign language is always good especially after a few beers :D
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

DJ Dan

Post by DJ Dan »

Good find that, just had a bit of a refresher ... :oops:
DJ Dan

Post by DJ Dan »

Saturday is approaching and most of the gear is sorted, new tyres and tubes to fit tonight, hopefully bottle cages tomorrow if they land.

Spent last night in my back yard to make sure I was going to be warm enough on the trip, went out at 10pm and climbed into my 'bag, outside temp was 4 c, dropped off to sleep ok but woke at half 12, temp now 0 c, could feel legs and backside cooling, so nipped into house and got spare thermarest ( had been using 10mm roll mat on concrete). Combined they seemed to do the trick, woke at 3.45 for a p*ss, temp 0 c, then slept spot on till 7am until I got up. Decent ground frost in the morning so I'm hoping the job's sorted. My mate is kipping out tonight ...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The ground's the real killer with regard to cold ... the ground's a big old heatsink and it'll do it's upmost to strip any heat, from anywhere, including us. It'll only stop once it and us are the same temp'. It's a point that we may not reach until we're actually dead ;)

Good luck for weekend - just remember the skill is in being able to make yourself comfortable with very little ... not enduring misery because you have very little.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

If your round claife area, cheeky monkey and I are dossing in the woods round there on Saturday.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

... and staying off the ground ;)
DJ Dan

Post by DJ Dan »

not enduring misery because you have very little
yep wise words, we're out there to enjoy it, both mats are coming.

Its nice round Claife, lots of options, you calling at the Station ? ;) Would be good to meet up for the craic, but I think we're gonna be pushed for time ... read knackered :D ... (not using car/van this time out) Have a good one though