Sram Groupset issues

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Adventurer

Sram Groupset issues

Post by Adventurer »

I’ve got a camino titanium with a sram force group set.

Having a couple of issue. The first it is he gear shifting is sluggish. Going up to the 42t is ok but going down is an issue.

As i shift down singly it’s ok for the first two gears then I shift and it stays on that cassette ring when I shift again it drops down two.

I’ve tried cable tension and adjustment, I think next will be re clean and grease of jockey wheels hen new outer and inner cable. Or am I missing anything else.

The other issue I am having is the lever on the hoods has free play before it engages the brake.

Looked online and it appears to be a issue with others. Not sure why this is but will be sending back to Alpkit for them to have s look at.

Vid below if the sram force lever issue

https://twitter.com/bikepackingbike/sta ... 89954?s=21
ScotRoutes

Re: Sram Groupset issues

Post by ScotRoutes »

Also check mech hanger alignment. If you don't have the correct tool, buy one or take it to a shop. Don't expect it to be straight because it's new either....
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

Upgrade from Sram to Shimano :wink: :-bd Lol
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Nothing wrong with SRAM, when they are working properly; I have Force, Eagle and XX1, all of which I prefer over Shimano. If your bike is still under warranty, don't mess around, and take it back for a proper repair.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Depending on it's age or mileage, drag in the cable would be my first thought, changing down from the biggest sprocket is like trying to push a rope, SRAM are quite prone to misbehaving when the cables get dirty or sticky. Second would be the B tension screw, this when screwed in lifts the jockey wheel away from the biggest sprockets allowing the mech the space to move the chain. This is not likely to have happened by itself unless it was like that from new and the cable issue has made it worse.
The lever throw issue is likely due to pad wear, I haven't seen your video but try new pads and see if it improves.
Edit re brake, the free play is normal, it stops the brake binding when the fluid gets hot and expands.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Looking at your video isn't the free play away from the direction the brake pulls on? When the lever is released it returns towards the bars?

There is free play in hydro levers but the spring in the lever has just enough force to keep the lever at the start of the throw. Without this the hose could remain pressurised and the brakes would drag. I don't have any drop bar hydros but my Hope, Shimano and SRAM MTB hydros all do this as does my cable SRAM rival drop bar brakes. It is just pulling the piston in the cylinder further out of the bore until it reaches the stop.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

pistonbroke wrote:Depending on it's age or mileage, drag in the cable would be my first thought, changing down from the biggest sprocket is like trying to push a rope, SRAM are quite prone to misbehaving when the cables get dirty or sticky. Second would be the B tension screw, this when screwed in lifts the jockey wheel away from the biggest sprockets allowing the mech the space to move the chain. This is not likely to have happened by itself unless it was like that from new and the cable issue has made it worse.
The lever throw issue is likely due to pad wear, I haven't seen your video but try new pads and see if it improves.
Edit re brake, the free play is normal, it stops the brake binding when the fluid gets hot and expands.
The free play I believe is not normal. The lever is free. The right lever is fine and I have another Camino al. Version which both levers are fine.
The free play is only with the left lever on my sram force .

When I’m cycling the lever is loose and just moves back and forwards on its own. All my other levers don’t do this.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Adventurer wrote:When I’m cycling the lever is loose and just moves back and forwards on its own. All my other levers don’t do this.
Ah, so perhaps the return spring in the lever is broken or missing? I couldn't tell from the video if the lever was returning under spring pressure or gravity. Does the other lever move forward but spring back to the correct starting position?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Can’t help but SRAM comes with a two year warranty
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

This from the SRAM website
'More clearance with 28t cassettes thanks to a longer B-knuckle'
And you are using a 42t cassette.
Is the RD speced correctly would be my first question?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
cycleofaddiction

Post by cycleofaddiction »

Maybe the cassette or freehub loose?
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

I had SRAM force cx for a year, I recabled it maybe 5 times, shifting was always sluggish, esp down the block. I got sick of it and upgraded to shimano.

Will never buy SRAM again.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Camino hangers are mad of cheese!! The last two I had were off, in the end Alplkit took one off of a bike they had built and ridden to check it was fine. They will sort it out for you I'm sure. I now own a park hanger tool and all of my bikes now have much better shifting.
Last edited by dlovett on Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laurensdad

Post by Laurensdad »

Re the sluggish shifting - we encountered a similar issue with two box fresh cx bikes running Sram force 1x11, turns out the chain was too short on both. New chain and presto! Mech hanger alignment also important and a CNC-machined hanger prom gearmechhanger.com would makes things a bit snappier too.

Cheers

Phil
@philg1971 Instagram