The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Did you get a chance to ride about off road with cooksets and things in them yet?
Done - http://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.co.uk/
May the bridges you burn light your way
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Brilliant Stu cheers, I'll order a couple tomorrow

What bag did you stick the myti mug in?

might put a cookset on one leg and wedge on the other freeing up loads of space in my tangle
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What bag did you stick the myti mug in?
I used a sil stuff sack (rather than a dry bag) from AlpKit ... I think it was the second smallest size.
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Arrived just before I headed off to Wales on Thurs. On one carbon forks. Bargain from STW. £65!

Fitted them today but it was an effort getting the crown race off my 2008 bike. Think i could do with a new headset as there's some play...

IMAG0525 by DKNWHY, on Flickr
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

It's mostly used as hammock hanging gear - an alternative to knots, carabiners etc. Can be used for setting up tarps etc if you fancied. All the gear is made in the States by Dutchware. Their site:

http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/featured/dutch-flyz/

Pdf on flyz / stingerz:

Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

He came Saturday really bringing some goodies from Ruta Locura.

New carbon poles by Brother Smith, on Flickr
74g, not sure how I will get on with no shockcord.

62g Ti mug & carbon lid from Ruta Locura by Brother Smith, on Flickr
Looks suspiciously like the AlpKit Ti mug but as I was ordering the pole it worked out cheaper

31g torch from Ruta Locura by Brother Smith, on Flickr
Wouldnt want to find my way using it but perfect for round camp and in an emergency

Also got an email that he is on his way from America again with my Revilatio X quilt :D
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

by Zippy on Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:04 pm
Zippy wrote:I got myself a cheap parts washer from machine mart at the weekend.
Dirty filthy chains go in, clean chains come out. Makes life soooo much easier
At the risk of repeating myself, here's a photo demonstrating my excitement.
I have a slightly blackened one of these to giveaway FOC now if anyone's interested, although tbh I think they're a waste of time and did it manually with degreaser and an old toothbrush anyway...
Zippy - not sure what you use for a degreaser but I get this http://www.ukcleaningsupplies.co.uk/aca ... 36645.html biodegradeable one from the lab at work and it seems pretty good. I suspect it's the same as Park/LBS stuff and much cheaper. 5 litres would last you ages!
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Chew

Post by Chew »

s8tannorm wrote:
Did you get a chance to ride about off road with cooksets and things in them yet?
Done - http://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.co.uk/
Whats the maximum diameter you think the clips would work to Stu?

Looking for extra water carrying capacity for summer, so wondering if they would cope with being fitted onto suspension forks?
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

99percentchimp wrote:
by Zippy on Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:04 pm
Zippy wrote:I got myself a cheap parts washer from machine mart at the weekend.
Dirty filthy chains go in, clean chains come out. Makes life soooo much easier
At the risk of repeating myself, here's a photo demonstrating my excitement.
I have a slightly blackened one of these to giveaway FOC now if anyone's interested, although tbh I think they're a waste of time and did it manually with degreaser and an old toothbrush anyway...
Zippy - not sure what you use for a degreaser but I get this http://www.ukcleaningsupplies.co.uk/aca ... 36645.html biodegradeable one from the lab at work and it seems pretty good. I suspect it's the same as Park/LBS stuff and much cheaper. 5 litres would last you ages!
I bought 5 litres of the clarke parts washer fluid concentrated stuff (normally mixed at a 1:10 ratio), which says it's good on paintwork. On closer inspection it seems absolutely identical to the juice lubes dirtwash stuff, which is similar to muc-off etc. It was about the same price as what you've just linked me too (good website though, thanks for that , lots of handy workshop type things there :)), so I reckon that's my new source of bike cleaning fluid.
And coz when it's in the parts washer the pump just re-cycles it, it lasts ages too.
Bulk bought 12 cans of GT85 off internet t'other day too, worked out as £2.10 a can :D (I also buy my chain lube in 1 litre cartons :geek: )
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Whats the maximum diameter you think the clips would work to Stu?

Looking for extra water carrying capacity for summer, so wondering if they would cope with being fitted onto suspension forks?
The Monkii Clip is listed as fitting up to 38mm diameter. I've just tried it on a pair of Marzocchi drop offs with a slightly odd leg profile (not actually round) and with a diameter of around 40mm. I had to use a slightly longer bolt than the 2 supplied but it went on okay.

I think had the fork leg been round and 40mm, then the longest supplied bolt would have been fine.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

While the bags certainly not new, it has just come back from the lovely Ruth at Mid Wales Embroidery who's added the bear ... reckon it must be 3g or so heavier now ;)

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

s8tannorm wrote:While the bags certainly not new, it has just come back from the lovely Ruth at Mid Wales Embroidery who's added the bear ... reckon it must be 3g or so heavier now ;)

Cool 8-)

Is it my eyes deceiving me, or do those velcro straps attaching the bag to the frame look elasticated?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is it my eyes deceiving me, or do those velcro straps attaching the bag to the frame look elasticated?
Nope, they're just the usual velcro ... I do know what you mean though, they sort of look like knitted jersey material.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Stu, after seeing your emdroidery i was wondering if you ever thought of having bear bones logo sew on patches made, I'd probably buy a couple.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Stu, after seeing your emdroidery i was wondering if you ever thought of having bear bones logo sew on patches made, I'd probably buy a couple.
There's a thought ... we've had the BB200 patches made before, so there's no reason why we couldn't do something. I'll do some asking.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

s8tannorm wrote:
There's a thought ... we've had the BB200 patches made before, so there's no reason why we couldn't do something. I'll do some asking.
Along those lines, how about maybe getting a batch of vinyl stickers made? So we can stick them on bikes, toolboxes, laptops or whatever take our fancy. (Only if there's interest of course!)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Along those lines, how about maybe getting a batch of vinyl stickers made? So we can stick them on bikes, toolboxes, laptops or whatever take our fancy. (Only if there's interest of course!)
I was pricing stickers up last week, good quality, waterproof stickers are pretty pricey though. I don't like the idea of cheap, single colour ones that'll fade quickly ... I'll do some more investigating.

I did look at stem caps too but they work out far too expensive unless you're having 1000+ made. I do quite like the idea of button bages (I'm thinking for rucksack straps, etc), maybe with some of the slogans used for the back of the T shirts.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Stu

Have you tried Gil @ thecycleshed.co.uk?

He's a member of the trailbuilding club I'm involved with and has done lots of stuff for us. If you can supply him designs he's usually very reasonable. He also does T's and hoodies (screen print) plus can source lots of vaguely MTB related stuff and get it embroidered. Whether mentioning me and SingletrAction will grease any wheels I don't know but you're welcome to give it a try:

http://www.thecycleshed.co.uk/

I have used a grand bloke called Geoff Moorhouse (IIRC) to do me pewter head badges:

All stuff is on here: http://www.singletraction.co.uk/wp/?page_id=56

He was remarkably reasonable in terms of cost and was a great guy to deal with. It all took a while to get sorted but weighed in the balance this was fine. If you want contact details say and I can email you them.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Gil's always printed the WRT and BB200 T shirts but I actually forgot he did stickers ... I'll have a word.

Ooh I'd love a Bear Bones headtube badge. Fire me the details over would you?

Ta
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

make it a scary bear and i reckon you'll sell a few
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

s8tannorm wrote:Gil's always printed the WRT and BB200 T shirts but I actually forgot he did stickers ... I'll have a word.

Ooh I'd love a Bear Bones headtube badge. Fire me the details over would you?

Ta
YGM 8-)

Oh, and will either of you fit XL Tyveks?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

make it a scary bear and i reckon you'll sell a few
How about I give him a gun? ;)
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I should fit XL
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Just found some Large as well. Will bung them all in the car for the weekend (not that I intend to use one!).
Mart

Post by Mart »

Mr Postman has dropped another light package on the mat this morning
A Evernew Pasta Pot (700ml), it was a bit pricy but there were a few factors that swung it for me

- ML's Measurements in the side of the pot
- Nice fitting lid with drain holes
- Small spout shape
- Insulated handles

I probably could have got these things sorted with buying a Alpkit mug and making a few 'adjustments' tho
2924 miles per Gallon