Route help - South Wales

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Giacomo

Route help - South Wales

Post by Giacomo »

Hi all,

I'm unexpectedly staying in Cardiff on Friday and Saturday night and am free both days to go for a ride. Unfortunately I don't know the area very well and don't have much time to put any routes together and so I thought I'd see if any of you kind souls would be able to help with some route advice or even better a gpx file!

Distance: I am after 2 separate day rides of approx 70-100 miles each.
Terrain: I will take a road/gravel bike and/or a mountain bike.
I like hills.

All help welcome.

Thank you thank you thank you
Giacomo

Re: Route help - South Wales

Post by Giacomo »

JUST REMEMBERED I've got Dave Barter's Great British Bike Rides book... Dave to the rescue! 2 routes planned and GPXs downloaded.

Obviously if anyone else has any ideas, keen to hear.

Thanks again
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As south Wales is little more than England with a bridge, I was going to suggest a ride to mid-Wales ... then a ride back. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

At the very least do the Dragon tribute route in the book which is a classic
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Giacomo

Post by Giacomo »

Stu, it had crossed my mind but I'm on a fairly tight schedule so not sure I can get up there really, it's quite far from England with a Bridge. I have been very much enjoying riding in mid-Wales recently though and am riding Ian Barrington's 2 ton of gravel in a few weeks with Karl. Should be fun!

Dave my rough plan is to do the Dragon Tribute ride on Sunday and either the Brecon Beacons & Black Mountains route or the Gower route on Saturday (any personal preference?)

Thanks chaps.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Giacomo wrote:Stu, it had crossed my mind but I'm on a fairly tight schedule so not sure I can get up there really, it's quite far from England with a Bridge. I have been very much enjoying riding in mid-Wales recently though and am riding Ian Barrington's 2 ton of gravel in a few weeks with Karl. Should be fun!

Dave my rough plan is to do the Dragon Tribute ride on Sunday and either the Brecon Beacons & Black Mountains route or the Gower route on Saturday (any personal preference?)

Thanks chaps.
Definitely the Dragon as the Bwlch and Rhigos are two fantastic climbs and I love the climax down the valley...but beware of the sting in the tail ;-)
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
MarkW

Post by MarkW »

If you're looking for MTB near Cardiff, there's Cwmcarn trail centre, Afan argoed (a bit further). There's also a load of natural singletrack around Caerphilly mountain/Castle Coch/Rudry area. Strava heatmap will help in finding this.

There's also the taff trail which is a traffic free (tarmac) route to the Brecon Beacons (though lots of gates, dog walkers etc)
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I would have come out for a spin with you but alas I was away this weekend.