Packing - what where, conventions?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Packing - what where, conventions?

Post by jameso »

The first trips I did, I packed my sleep stuff in the saddle pack and my day to day stuff, clothing, camera, essentials etc in the bar bag. Cooking, tool kit etc in the frame bag. After that I started putting the sleep gear up front and the more variably packed (depending on temps, conditions etc) bag of clothing in the seat pack.

Quite a dull discussion really! ... and it depends on the type of bag you have I guess, but how do you do it?

I'm heading off for 10-12 days riding soon and trying to minimise kit and faff still, so I'm thinking of going back to the methods I started out with. The Wildcat seat pack -as brilliantly stable as it is, it's not fast-access- will hold bivi kit and not be touched in the daytime. The bar roll holds things I need while riding, gloves, jackets and gilets etc, with a bar bag on the front for food, camera etc that I can access without stopping. It just makes a changes of kit simpler, easier access. A small frame bag has the tools, coffee mug and stove, spare tube etc. Hoping to get it all down to ~3kg.

In a perfect world I'd have a different bar system that gave easier access to more stuff, one for the MYOG thread sometime, having started to modify how my bar bag works.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Packing - what where, conventions?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think the important thing is to put sleep kit / stuff which must remain dry seperate from everything else. Whether that goes up front or out back makes little difference but I tend to favour the front. The back then contains things I might need, packed in order of how likely I might need them during the day, with things like tarp, cooking kit getting packed first.

Things I know I will need (there isn't much) find their way into jersey / jacket pockets, bum bag or maybe a partial frame bag on longer trips.

Tools / spares more often than not are strapped to the bike somewhere.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Scud

Post by Scud »

i have always just had sleeping gear plus down jacket in front roll. With cooking gear in large XL bar pouch and remaining of gear in rear saddle bag, with all water in the triangle.

But must admit was thinking (For Torino-Nice) of keeping sleeping gear at front, but using full frame bag for rest of gear and an "ooohh look at me i'm a triathlete" double bottle holder behind the saddle, my thinking being that on those long climbs and fast descents, that having weight central and low on bike and no saddle bag swinging may be a good idea?
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Up front in a Sweetroll is the tent, neoair, silk liner, down jacket and beanie. I could, in theory, get away with just that if I needed to sleep for a couple of hours or if it's warm. Lots of room to spare. Last trip my Sawyer Mini ended up on the left end and was accessed regularly.

Down the back in a Viscacha is the med kit, spare tube(s), sleeping gear/spare clothes, sleeping bag and anything flat that slots in around this stuff...freeze dried meals, bike lock, etc. This is the place I put stuff that I may/may not use daily. I'm going to be trying out a travel blanket instead of sleeping bag this month to see if I can save some more space as the pack size is about 1/4 that of my bag.

For stuff I'm reaching for all the time, that goes in either a feed bag, gas tank or my Ortlieb bumbag. Feed bag for bars, beans, trash, sunscreen, rope. Gas tank for skinnier things - zip ties, shoe horn for 'holing, etc. GT often gets abused and I find all sorts of crap in there at the end of a ride. Bumbag for things that can't get wet - passport, money, cards, etc. and also for little things that I might reach for throughout the day - lip balm, change, bike lock key, etc. in the side mesh pockets. 6s+ in Lifeproof case lives in the bumbag only because it's too wide for the gastank. That said, I take less photos with it there too = more riding and less stops.

Tools in the jerry can. Speaking of which - I saw a new Revelate Jerry Can on XWA run...it's longer on the top tube than the older models. Looks good.

Greetz

S.
chris n

Post by chris n »

I find it easier to get into my seat pack than bar bag, so pack stuff that I'm only going to need to get to once per day and must stay dry (sleeping bag, spare clothes and down jacket/gilet) in the front.

Seat pack contains things I might need more often (some food) and stuff I don't mind getting damp (tarp, bivvy, sleep mat, waterproof).

Half-frame bag contains things I need to get to quickly (arm warmers, hat, brew kit, first aid kit, spare batteries etc), poles/pegs for the tarp and food.

Tools go in a bottle under the down tube. Top tube bag has more food. Jersey pockets contain everything that must come with me if I leave the bike (phone, wallet, keys) and usually more food.
Last edited by chris n on Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

It's a very complicated algorithm based on:

a) How much kit I'm taking
b) whether the kit has to stay dry
c) how likely I am to need it
d) how heavy it is
e) how it affects bike handling

Alternatively I'll just shove stuff in whatever bag's handy :grin:

You don't want to have to go past kit that must stay dry, like your sleeping bag, to get to things like tools or spares. Similarly you want to be able to get the tarp/tent out and sorted before you get your sleeping bag out, especially if it's raining. On one bike my sleeping kit is on the handlebars but on another it's in the saddle bag because it's easier to organise like that on that bike.

Frame bags are fixed volume and I've found that having something soft to pack into them to fill the volume and stop things rattling around helps prevent hard edged items from rubbing/scratching other kit.

Generally if you know where things are then it will be fine.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

My sleeping gear has gone from rear, to front and my latest trip had it on the rear again. :lol:

It's a combination of weight distribution, separation and rattliness/sponginess that seems to drive the decision. I winter I've little option but to put the big sleeping bag out back though.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

generally for an overnighter this

Front roll contains sleeping kit, Cumulous quilt, neo air mat, bivvy bag, blow up pillow, silk liner, midge net and down jacket, (its usually an Apidura waterproof) plus a couple of plastic carrier bags to seperate wet bivvy bag from quilt etc if needed, so this only gets touched at the end of the day.

Front pocket contains spare glasses, cache battery, drugs, spork, knife, wallet and maps, so easy access and quick removal.

Seat pack (again usually Apidura waterproof) contains spare 2 tubes at base to allow bag to mould around seat tube (I’m never in a rush to fix a puncture) long johns, base layer, brew kit, beanie, spare gloves, tarp and rain jacket (packed last for easy access) rarely gets opened unless the rain jacket is required.

half frame bag contains poles, bike spares, multitool, lock, wind jacket, foodstuff, sudocream, toothbrush/paste and space for extra food, phone in waterproof case gets switched off and put into left hand sleeve pocket.

Gas tank always only contains a camera and a dry bag

for longer trips maybe some extra clothing, rain pants, certainly an extra pair of riding shorts, occasionally replace the bivvy/tarp with a lightweight tent, add some multipurpose washing liquid to try and keep clean, these all fit into the Apidura bags but do occasionally use a couple of feed bags.

So to answer your question, the front and rear bags don’t get touched much, the gas tank frequently and the front pocket lots

I should add that this lot is probably double your anticipated weight of 3kgs but I’ve never weighed it
jameso

Post by jameso »

Interesting read. Agree about Stu's point of the primary need of keeping sleeping kit dry and separated. Also that it all depends on bulk and the trip type - I suppose my kit is pretty similar most rides as I'm not snow biking like S.R. or touring with a fuller load, tent etc.

The main reason I've aimed to have a fairly fixed pack system is the more familiar you are with that system, the faster and less faffy you are. I'd be pretty confident of packing up in the dark with no head torch, for ex. I trust my knowledge of my pack system more than my tiredness-addled memory that's for sure..

I think my revert to front-pack for day kit, seat pack for bivi kit has come from recent TINAT prep rides - stopping and accessing a front bag while straddling the bike ie grabbing a jacket, or eating while moving, is all done easier from front bar bags. Like SteveM says, bar bag access = lots. An area where the front-loaded rando bike crowd have it right I think. It's only a small detail but it all adds up, or when not caring about time add-ups it simply feels more natural. I also realised that a bivi roll can be much easier to fit into that often-annoying tapered end of the seat pack up against the seatpost. The Wildcat with taper dry bag is better than most but still, not always easy to pack consistently.

It's got me thinking about seat pack design, if your load there is only packed/removed once a day and is consistent size and under 1.5kg the seat pack can be minimised. 100-150g saving there should be no problem (as a side benefit rather than any weenie-priority - but it'd more than offset the 65g of 4mm section steel bar stabiliser I added with my MYOG bag support)
I should add that this lot is probably double your anticipated weight of 3kgs but I’ve never weighed it
around 5 is more common for me Steve, this 3kg idea is simply for a longer tour through France where I want to arrive in the Alps feeling good for some climbing. I could weigh my bike and make that lighter maybe but I don't really care about the bike, I'm used to it and there's nothing excessive on it anyway. ...I'm being defensive about sounding like a weight-weenie aren't I? :lol:
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

despite doing this for years and being mindful of the weight I’m still stupid enough to fall into the overpacking trap, I carried a 1kg bag of banana chips and other usekess stuff around new zealand in an ortlieb front pack (pair of them used as a pannier on a front rack) that I don’t think I actually opened till I got back !

Limiting the number of bags is probably the most helpful way of deciding what to take and where to put it ;-)
benp1

Post by benp1 »

The tapered dry bag I use in my holster style Revelate pack means I can now stuff my bivi bag loaded with mat, quilt and pillow straight into it. So my tarp/shelter and other items either go in the front/pocket/half frame bag, tube bag, or in a rucksack, or a combination of that.

When I was using my viscacha, which I still have, I used to keep waterproof stuff in the front as that was the only place with a proper dry bag

I've used a rucksack for my recent trips where I don't want so much weight on the front
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Limiting the number of bags is probably the most helpful way of deciding what to take and where to put it ;-)
Without doubt. I have a pet hate (one of many I hear you say) of seeing bikes fitted with every possible type of bag ... simply because (a) they're available (b) people seem to think the more bags they have the more of a 'bikepacker' they appear and (c) simply because people will insist on taking too much crap :wink: I aim to make a packed bike look neat / tidy and not like it was packed by a cooperative from the WI rehearsing for a jumble sale.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Some photos are in order:

Dry stuff in saddle bag, "wet" bivy gear in bag on handlebars, tools, spares and other bits in frame bag

Almost the reverse: bivy kit in Wildcat wet&dry bag on front, clothes in saddle bag. tools, etc in top tube bag and pouch on front.

Early season so more bivy kit (basically quilt and sleeping bag) plus food and stove, etc. Bivy stuff up front, clothes at back, food, stove, fuel in frame bag, tools in downtube bag.

Bivy kit in Revelate Saltyroll up front (badly packed!), tools in downtube bag, clothes at the back, can't remember what was in the top tube bag,

Bivy kit in Saltyroll up front (packed better :-) ), tools and stuff in the two top tube bags, clothes at the back.

Looks like I'm nice and consistent!
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Without doubt. I have a pet hate (one of many I hear you say) of seeing bikes fitted with every possible type of bag ... simply because (a) they're available (b) people seem to think the more bags they have the more of a 'bikepacker' they appear and (c) simply because people will insist on taking too much crap :wink: I aim to make a packed bike look neat / tidy and not like it was packed by a cooperative from the WI rehearsing for a jumble sale.
Amen to that!

A bit like this:
Scud wrote:"ooohh look at me i'm a triathlete" double bottle holder behind the saddle?
A sure-fire way of ejecting bottles on bumpy descents! You could just ride in speedos and a boob tube :grin:

My answer, like many others here, is; it depends...
General principals of keeping sleeping kit in one dry bag, heavy stuff in frame triangle, stuff used frequently in easy to access pouches, etc. I am also a big fan of cycling jersey pockets, which can easy hold enough snacks for a long day plus phone & card/cash.

On the FS I now use a dropper post, so no room for a seat pack. It also has space for only one bottle cage, so I use a bladder in the frame bag. To minimise handling issues, I only have a 5L bag on the bars (sleeping kit) therefore need to use a small backpack, which is not as big a deal to me as some other people.

On the 'gravel bike' I am torn between two setups:
2 bottles in the triangle with a partial frame bag for stuff I need rapid access to. Overnight kit in the seat pack.
Or
Bottle between the aero bars, other under the down tube, overnight kit in the frame bag: minimalist volume/weight/aero drag - road/ warm climate focus.
Both options use gas tank/jerry can for tools, etc, but no backpack.

I have never taken cooking kit, mostly through lack of space, and never been anywhere where it is necessary, yet.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Indeed, Bob. Your bike is green in 4 outta 5 shots ;)

I forgot to mention that now I've fallen into the whole carrying a stove thing, that goes into the bumbag as well but can fit in a feedbag when it's not full of food.

Greetz

S.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Scattamah wrote:Indeed, Bob. Your bike is green in 4 outta 5 shots ;)

S.
Yes, the Spearfish seems suited to having less on the front. Maybe it's just me getting used to it or it might be that it's because of the suspension.

Back to the original question. I suppose the general process is:

1. work out what I am going to take based on experience, weather forecast, etc.
2. figure out what bags are needed to hold it all - there may be one or two configurations possible
3. Try to fit it.
4. find it doesn't, go back to step #1

After that it's mainly personal preference really.

Stu: the "pack it to the gunwales" approach may be influenced by bikepacking setup photos from the States where a lot of the trips seem to be a week in the wilderness and having to pack everything as there's no chance of resupply. A lot of them do like their home comforts as well :wink: Bikepacking.com have just posted their annual "Bikes of the Tour Divide" http://www.bikepacking.com/bikes/tour-divide-rigs-2018/
benp1

Post by benp1 »

whitestone wrote:Bikepacking.com have just posted their annual "Bikes of the Tour Divide" http://www.bikepacking.com/bikes/tour-divide-rigs-2018/
Excellent, thanks. I like seeing these
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Hhmm, s few fine examples of neat and tidy over on Bikepacking.com and (no offence) but some other examples that help prove my WI jumble sale theory.

And I've no idea what's going on here ... at all.

pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Perhaps he's expecting a 2500mile tailwind.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I reckon that opens out into a sail !

its been done before
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I reckon that opens out into a sail !
Surely it's already a sail .... or summat to catch fish with or perhaps butterflies? :???:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nah, he's been copying my traffic-cone seat pack! BAST! That's patented is that. Unless my application form got lost in the post.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Hhmm, s few fine examples of neat and tidy over on Bikepacking.com and (no offence) but some other examples that help prove my WI jumble sale theory.

And I've no idea what's going on here ... at all.

That's the traffic cone bag Offa the myog thread , that's why he disappeared ,after he saw rip prototype he put it into production :lol:
Edit ,reg beat me to it
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I wonder what loading is going on at the collar with the middle one!

Testing that seat post strength to the max :shock:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I reckon the bottom one is either for a rainwater enema or it's an anal foghorn :lol: