Garmin maps on phone?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

restlessshawn

Garmin maps on phone?

Post by restlessshawn »

I have an etrex and the 50k maps on a micro sd, would like to use my phone (iphone) as a back up map. Is there a way to view the gamin maps on my phone by copying the gampsupp.img file on there and using an app?

I'd rather not have to buy maps again from somewhere else!
ScotRoutes

Re: Garmin maps on phone?

Post by ScotRoutes »

Try oruxmaps. I looked into this previously and I think that handled them.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

ScotRoutes wrote:Try oruxmaps. I looked into this previously and I think that handled them.
thanks but that's android only
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

restlessnative wrote:I have an etrex and the 50k maps on a micro sd, would like to use my phone (iphone) as a back up map. Is there a way to view the gamin maps on my phone by copying the gampsupp.img file on there and using an app?

I'd rather not have to buy maps again from somewhere else!
You can't. The .img format is Garmin proprietary.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

. The .img format is Garmin proprietary
Is this why maps which are on a Micro SD card and work in my Garmin Touring don't work when I try to see the mapping on my PC or tablet using the same card, or is that due to my incompetance?
Sorry to hijack but Dave, what mapping do I need for the TNR? Talkytoaster do one covering the Alps, any good?
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I’ve used both the free Dutch ones and the free open Mtb ones. In the alps, Italy, Spain and Tenerife. Both based on OSM map data. Prefer the Mtb ones as can customise the way the map is displayed in the device.

Handy as setup for an edge or etrex works better for me with different sizes of map detail.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

pistonbroke wrote:
. The .img format is Garmin proprietary
Is this why maps which are on a Micro SD card and work in my Garmin Touring don't work when I try to see the mapping on my PC or tablet using the same card, or is that due to my incompetance?
Sorry to hijack but Dave, what mapping do I need for the TNR? Talkytoaster do one covering the Alps, any good?
They will only work in Garmin Basecamp. I think I used these for TN last time http://www.openfietsmap.nl/
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

The OSMAND+ app is on iOS and Android, while not OS maps the Open source mapping is still very good. I haven't used an iPhone since the 4S but there was an app with the highly original name of "UK MAP" which used OS maps, didn't cost a fortune and the image quality of the map was far better than the murky copy that Garmin uses.

*edit* Found it, £7.99 . http://ukmapapp.com/
HUX

Post by HUX »

This is a good source of maps for Europe. Used them for both the Tuscany trail and Spanish C2C,plenty of detail. Download onto a micro SD and stick in Garmin. Simples

https://www.wanderreitkarte.de/garmin_de.php?lang=en