Another new bike ? Ti or Steel ?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Sarah

Another new bike ? Ti or Steel ?

Post by Sarah »

So my partner is looking for a new ride and has come down to either a Salsa Fargo [steel] or a Sonder Broken Road [Ti].

Both frames will give you a little change from £1k, the build is to follow.

He hasnt been able to demo either yet, should change that next weekend.

Just looking for any thoughts, experiences or ideas [including other similar frames at that price point]

Use will mainly be on more gentle trails and forest roads touring, he has a Cotic for single track fun.

Thanks

Sarah
Sarah
In Reverse

Re: Another new bike ? Ti or Steel ?

Post by In Reverse »

I'm a big fan of my Ti frame. Hardly ridden the steel bike since I got it.
jameso

Post by jameso »

You're looking at 2 different types of bike there, the design variation is more than the material. Sonder for a light tourer/all roader, Fargo as a drop bar MTB or heavier-duty tourer. If he wants it to feel like a lighter, faster road bike at any point the Sonder would seem more suitable, but I expect the Fargo would handle mtb trails more confidently.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Isn’t the Broken Road more of a standard do-it-all hardtail? The Camino is more like what you’re describing, I think, jameso. Either way the Sonders are different beasts to the Fargo.

There are a million* alternatives at the ‘gravel’ end of the spectrum, rather fewer at the Fargo end. Maybe a drop-barred 29+ Stooge?

* Possibly a slight exaggeration
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

have you looked at a jones diamond frame,they look expensive bikes but when you ride them you know you bought quality
Mart

Post by Mart »

In Reverse wrote:I'm a big fan of my Ti frame. Hardly ridden the steel bike since I got it.
Same for me
2924 miles per Gallon
jameso

Post by jameso »

Ah yes sorry, Charlie's right. Calling an MTB the something-road, easily fooled here : )
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

jameso wrote:Ah yes sorry, Charlie's right. Calling an MTB the something-road, easily fooled here : )
I’m with you. Can’t help but think AK got the names the wrong way round on those two. Both look like good frames though