Trans Cambrian Way (round trip)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Huwblut

Trans Cambrian Way (round trip)

Post by Huwblut »

I've got a few days to play with next week & have half a plan to ride the TCW from Dovey Junction.

If I'm feeling ok at Knighton I'd like to make a round trip if it rather than heading back the same way.

Does anyone have a route that I could follow please?

Cheers

Huw
slarge

Re: Trans Cambrian Way (round trip)

Post by slarge »

If you go on the IMBA website you can download the GPX files (3 files) - you will have to reverse them though to go from Dovey junction to Knighton. Or I can send you a GPX of the route in a single file (pm me). You will have to reverse that also as I didn't make the return journey.

Tis a cracking route, and bordering on weatherproof, so over a few days you will enjoy it. A couple of bothies en route also if that takes your fancy.
Huwblut

Post by Huwblut »

Thanks for the info. I've got the 3 days (separate) on my Etrex and on Viewranger on my phone as a back up.

The plan was to just follow the line in the opposite direction without reversing the route. Is there any reason why this wouldn't work?

Incidentally the last time I tried to load a route via Bikehike I kept getting "loading Garmin libraries" or such like. Despite lots of swearing it wouldn't work!

I'd like to try and ride it in one go starting from Dovey Junction as there seems to be more accommodation options in Knighton. I'm keen to travel as light as possible (Blizzard bag and lots of clothes) and will doubtless be completely knackered if I make it all the way.

Going back in the same direction a day or so later may be the "easiest" option but making a loop of it would be nice.

I'm still getting to grips with this bikepacking lark, are the bothies easy to find en route as i'd like an indoor bail out option due to lack of a tent / tarp?

Thanks again.

Huw
slarge

Post by slarge »

Bothies are Nant Rhys at about 35 miles from Dovey (its marked on the OS map and for an exact grid ref look on the mountain bothy association website) and Claerddu just before the Claerwen reservoir at about 60 miles. Rhayader is full of accomodation, and there's a campsite in Cwmystwyth as well.
If you go for it in a day, expect to be riding for at least 12 hours,

Good luck, and tell us how you get on.
JamesT

Post by JamesT »

Slightly off topic - but in quite keen on doing this route at some stage - could it realistically be done on a drop barred / gravel type bike (with some decent MTB tyres) or is it mote a mountain bike route - I know this is a very subjective question, I suppose I'm asking are there any technical bits that need suspension ?
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

I suppose I'm asking are there any technical bits that need suspension ?

I suspect that many have ridden fully rigid bikes over this route.
Change your tyres and go for it.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Only tricky bits I can think of are:
- the bit after Staylittle down to the footbridge before the climb up to Glaslyn
- the descent off Foel Fadian.
- I'd be wary of a slit tyre on the Claerwen dam road (have had this happen to me on 35c tyres).
- the rocky 4x4 track that runs up to the base of Claerwen dam.

When I did the double, I rode rigid with 2.2" Ikons. If I were in a gravel bike, I'd run 42c tyres, minimum.
JamesT

Post by JamesT »

I was thinking of doing it on my Specialized AWOL - with light overnight kit and 2" MTB tyres - from what I've seen of the route there's quite a lot of gravel road where that bike could be great - just wanted to be aware of any major technical bits - I think bigger tyres and go for it is the way forward !
slarge

Post by slarge »

As Ian said. The Foel Fadian descent is quite long, but not worth a special tyre choice, it is the grassy descents and fire roads that would make me choose tyres - something around 2" would be fine. If on a CX bike then fat is good (42?), other than that, just ride what you have on. I rode with 2.25 Racing Ralphs, but those tyres just stay on all year, only getting swapped when they get a bit thin. Just enjoy the ride.....
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

JamesT

How do you find the AWOL?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
JamesT

Post by JamesT »

Hi Mariner - I really like the AWOL - it's the first drop barred bike I've owned , it's mostly used for work commutes but is really comfortable to ride on long rides and works best loaded up with kit - it's no lightweight for sure but it can take a 2" tyre , front and rear racks , guards etc - seems to offer lots of options
Stumpym4

Post by Stumpym4 »

Sorry for the hijack ! .. I rode the first part of this on monday from knighton , and managed to knock one of my gorilla cages off somewhere in the first 16 miles !!
Think it may be near one of the numerous gates you keep having to open !!, had to keep lying the bike down to open and shut the gates and reckon it pushed the cage off :(
If found ill send some beer tokens as a thank you
Hijack over
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Thinking of trying this one (just East to West, not the double!), but the IMBA website seems not to work. Does anyone have a GPX of the route they could ping me please, or point me in the direction of one? Thanks a lot.
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Ignore me - just found the route on the Bikepacking site.
Nutsnut

Post by Nutsnut »

Me and my friend rode it on our gravel bikes last year. Him on a Croix De few with 42cc tyres with me on my Arkose with 35mm tyres.

Foel Fadian descent was the only section that warranted a bigger bike, though my friend did slice his tyre during the elan valley dam sections.
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Thanks - that's good to know as I'll be on a gravel bike too, probably with 38s. Can you remember what sort of tyres they were? Proper cyclocross nobblies, or something more gravel orientated? And tubeless or no?
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Wtb Nano's for me. But I am the one Nutsnut referred to who ripped the tyre wall. They were great apart from that.
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Thanks. Did you carry a spare?