Bar roll bracket ( instead of a harness)

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dr Nick

Bar roll bracket ( instead of a harness)

Post by Dr Nick »

Up until now I've used an Alpkit double ended dry bag (13 L or 20L) strapped directly to the Jones bars on my Genesis. With the arrival of the Cannondale fat bike with lefty fork, I needed an alternative as

a) most harnesses strap to the fork crown and
b) I was worried the lefty fork will make a dry bag sit wonky, although the SQ lab 12 degree bars I fitted help with this, as they sweep slightly forward before they sweep back.

So my solution (hopefully! Time will tell) is to use 2 handdlebar extenders designed for mounting lights etc. £13 each from Amazon, I went for the alloy bar, not carbon, to minimise any impact the straps rubbing.

I just run the 2 dry bag straps around the dry bag and behind the two bar extensions. On a brief test run it feels pretty secure. My bivvy and sleeping bag are 1.6 kg so hopefully between the 4 Individual brackets it'll stay secure. I've angled it to give the best compromise between bag and wheel clearance with suspension compressed, it not sitting to high, and giving the cables and hoses some room.

Ideally the bar part would be slightly wider than the 20cms it comes as, but it's just wide enough to work with the strap guides on the alpkit bag

Some Gorilla tape wound round the ends of the bar extensions keep the straps in place. I've only got pics without the dry bag but I'm sure you'll get the idea....

and much cheaper than £130 for an anything cradle! although i did consider cutting the base off a plastic anything cage and mounting it in front of the 2 bar extensions but it feels pretty secure witout it, and pullnig the straps tight compresses the bag between the 2 bar extentions a litle - helping with stability.
Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...
jam bo

Re: Bar roll bracket ( instead of a harness)

Post by jam bo »

Nice. I like that. Are they easy enough to take on/off?
ripio

Post by ripio »

Great idea.
Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

jam bo wrote:Nice. I like that. Are they easy enough to take on/off?
Just one bolt per bracket so 4 in total

I think I might just leave them on. Weight in the packet is 132g according to Amazon, so that's about 250g in total. Each main bar mounting is hinged.

Now I"m happy that it should work I'm going to replace the gorilla tape on the handlebars with some skateboard grip tape just to further prevent any rotation and thread lock the bolts...
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

I might buy some for a punt. I've never liked the way my relevate sweetroll attaches to the bars and headtube.

I guess my only concern would be whether they would rotate downwards over rough ground. I'm not using carbon bars so they can be clamped a bit harder though.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Could you get away with just the one pointing downwards? ie strap the bag to the bars and the one bracket? I'm currently contemplating ways of mounting a bar roll to the Ice cream truck - its sporting a 10 mm reach stem and the bar roll ends up rubbing against the head tube - but this would be a much easier way of doing it than the various options I'd been working on. :-bd
dnrc

Post by dnrc »

i did try similar to this a while back, bought one of the bar extender things you have with the intention of hanging my dry-bag from it

but the one i bought (from china) was made of marzipan and stripped the thread straight away.

but that's not the point of this post. i just ordered (it hasn't arrived yet though) an anything cradle from bike24.com

with postage it came to about £83
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

I sometimes use one, in the lower position, to provide a buttress for the roll bag to sit against to prevent pulling on the cables
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

Seem pretty solid and lifts my sweetroll up from the front wheel (which I used to buzz a lot) and away from the head tube. (Which used to buzz a lot)

Salsa anything harness looks a much better solution but at 4x the price.

Will test over some rough ground once my rear shock comes back from the menders.
Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

I had a little bit of bracket slippage on the WRT. Nothing a regular slight reposition and re-tighten didn't solve.

But to make it a bit better-er, and because I noticed one of the threads is a bit iffy, I'm going to drill out the threaded holes and use longer bolts (just going through the bracket and not threading into it) with nylock nuts and skateboard grip tape on the handlebars.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I wonder if rixen & kaul handlebar fixings would stand up to off road use? They do a bolt on back plate which you could fix to just about anything.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001CCNCUU/ ... .AbSS8TQWZ

I used a handlebar bag on my Dummy and it coped with the off road I did on it, including a reckless decent into Avebury on the ridgeway.
Last edited by BigdummySteve on Wed May 16, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The R&K stuff also has a security wire to prevent rotation.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

ScotRoutes wrote:The R&K stuff also has a security wire to prevent rotation.
Hmm it might be worth an experiment, at the moment I have two brackets similar to nicks holding a bar to mount my mapping device and light/charger. Together with the R&K accessory mount it might make a tidy setup. A alpkit heavy duty dry bag reinforced with some Coraplast inside could then just click into place.

Of course Dr Nick could then also make use of R&K’s extensive range of baskets, a wicker one would look cracking on his new fat bike :wink:

Sorry nick =))

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

If it came in black and lime green I might be tempted! :lol:
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

The postie delivered some bits from rixen & kaul today.
A klick fix bracket and a backplate, I’ve attached the backplate to a double ended alpkit bag an reinforced it with some coraplast, it works a treat. You just snap the bag in place and then I strap my revelate pouch to it, takes all of 10 seconds and seems very secure. I’ve a few trips coming up so I’ll report back if there’s any problems, the added bonus is plenty of room to ride on the hoods and tops.

pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I've made a bar roll using the same R&K bracket and plate but attached it to an Alpkit Joey and fed the straps through an 8l Airloc Extra drybag. I can get my Exped downmat, quilt, bivvy bag and pillow in the drybag and have attached an Ortlieb accessory bag with washkit and day to day stuff. With my fairly bulky camera bungeed on top for quick access, the whole thing weighs 3.6kg and fits between my Digest drop bars on the gravel bike, the bracket points down at about 45° leaving space for cables. I've been testing it rattling around the bumpy tracks of Cataluna for about 3 weeks and it's not showing any signs of falling to pieces. Hopefully it will last the TNR.
Andybev

Post by Andybev »

Pistonbroke how did you support the Joey to stop it "folding" I am thinking a couple of wooden battens top, middle and bottom.
to me the R&K is the way to go so the bars are free I am just interested in the way you did it?
jaminb

Post by jaminb »

I don't think this would be man enough for the job and it probably needs more forward projection, to ensure the bar roll clears the cables and head tube, but I am sure it wouldn't beyond the Bearboners to fabricate something similar. It is beyond my bodge set although I thought I could make a prototype model in 15mm copper tubing to demonstrate the concept! The beauty is the simplicity and the weight of the roll holds it in place.

I appreciate this is sailing close to a rack but the trend for bikes having shorter stems means that the bar roll sits higher and closer to the cable, pipes and head tube. On my Longitude with the Wildcat Lion cable clearance is fine but I cannot seam to avoid head tube rub which causes a constant squeak.

https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/BANIF16/ni ... -supporter
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

jaminb wrote:I don't think this would be man enough for the job
If your referring to the RK set up it’s still solid after a year.
It’s been through BAM, the two winter events, the WRT and numerous reckless decents, all good :-bd

jaminb

Post by jaminb »

BigDummySteve

Sorry no not referring to your RK set up but the On One link in my post

Ben
Andybev

Post by Andybev »

Bigdummysteve
Any chance of a pic of your R&K set up please
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I’m away working at the moment but here’s a pic of it in use
https://flic.kr/p/27oL6TW
In the above case it’s carrying a double ended drybag, I have a smaller bag and chop and change according to need. I’ll post some more when home.

Andybev

Post by Andybev »

ta for the pic steve
did you have a plate between the R&K and the dual bag? I have just put mine onto a Joey but it does not hold the dual bag due to flexing of the Joey
I am also thinking of making a plastic curved backplate to strap the bag to using thin plastic sheets glued together / laminated/ moulded to the shape of the full bag or as a cop out I may just use a bit of plywood
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I used some Coraplast, it’s the stuff house for sale signs are made of, I’m sure you can work out how to get some :wink:

Basically once it’s fitted you can adapt any bag to fit using the back plate.