Random bike gripe.....

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gairym

Re: Random bike gripe.....

Post by gairym »

rufus748 wrote:So glad the horn is making a reappearance :-bd
No bikepacking trip is complete without 'El Honko' in tow!
In Reverse wrote:If I was joining you on the Tuscany Trail (which I am) I'd be taking my 29er with decent fast rolling wheels (which I am).

Might even take my own pair of Caseys Crazys. It's a toss up between them and the carbon cuts.
Do it! It's gonna be great, I can't wait!
Ray Young wrote:This thread has made me realize that only having one bike can be a good thing. Err, rigid 29er today I think, :wink: :grin: .
Absolutely! One decent do-it-all bike is pretty much suitable for everything.

But.....I love each and every one of my bikes and am convinced each time I ride any given bike that it's my favourite. :grin:
Solo

Post by Solo »

gairym wrote:
But.....I love each and every one of my bikes and am convinced each time I ride any given bike that it's my favourite. :grin:
This sounds like me!

From 1 29er to the other, then the fatbike. First World problem I guess.

I am impressed by the adaptability of the Solaris though. Although mine is set up more as my MTB it still works well enough for a good trip out on it.
Last edited by Solo on Wed May 16, 2018 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I still can't find stock of those bloody bars :(
ootini

Post by ootini »

gairym wrote:
Ray Young wrote:This thread has made me realize that only having one bike can be a good thing. Err, rigid 29er today I think, :wink: :grin: .
Absolutely! One decent do-it-all bike is pretty much suitable for everything.

This is something I became OK with not so long ago. I'd convinced myself I wanted a gravel/Any road/Adventure bike and after some chats on here, deliberation etc it turned out what I really needed was to take a look at my current bike, and buy a second set of wheels, tweak the bars, etc
I think a lot of people want the "versatility" of a gravel bike, but miss the fact that it's still limited in comparison to an MTB. I was after an adventure bike that would take at least a 2" tyre... Which in essence, is just a drop bar MTB...

As someone noted on here recently, all "What Gravel Bike" threads should begin and end with a single post: "Salsa Cutthroat"....
FLV

Post by FLV »

I'd go with the 29er. Its probably a personal thing but I dont find drops in any way comforatable for off road. I know people do though.

I like the solaris there
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

How does the Solaris ride with the VO Crazy bars? I'm thinking of getting a set (If I can find any) for mine for later in the summer. If I can't find any (hint) I'll probably get a set of Jones Loop bars and use those.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
gairym

Post by gairym »

FLV wrote:I'd go with the 29er. Its probably a personal thing but I dont find drops in any way comforatable for off road. I know people do though.

I like the solaris there
:-bd

I do like drops on the 'gravel bastard' but not fun on anything technical off-road.
whitestone wrote:How does the Solaris ride with the VO Crazy bars? I'm thinking of getting a set (If I can find any) for mine for later in the summer. If I can't find any (hint) I'll probably get a set of Jones Loop bars and use those.
I've said before that I don't LOVE the bars. I like them and over multiple days I come to really like them but I do feel that there are multiple not quite right positions.

This means I can switch up regularly but then again I feel like I need to because I don't feel fully comfy in any of the default positions.

I run them with a short (80mm) stem which means that the position I use the most (hands at the junction of the front extending bits - like riding on the hoods of drops) is great but it does mean that the wide grip for downhill/braking/gear changing (though braking and gear changing can be done from the hoods position too) feels a bit close to my body.

All-in-all I think that they're the closest I've come to a great all round long distance friendly bar BUT I still think there's room for improvement.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I have thought of adding two short tri-extensions to the front loop of the Jones at the points where it begins to bend back. The extensions would be a bit narrower than those on the Crazy bars but wider than road/TT versions. Jones do the Gnarwal but at £110 :shock: for a clamp and a bit of tube it's not cheap (that's today's understatement of the day competition sewn up :wink: ).
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

The Gnarwal isn't cheap but of course you cant just use normal bar end as there's no way to slide them along the bar, so they can charge what they like really. The Jones is also intended to be used on it's own in the middle, I can see how this would work but that's where I have my light. I wouldn't be able to mount the light off-centre as looking at it would upset me too much :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
jameso

Post by jameso »

all "What Gravel Bike" threads should begin and end with a single post: "Salsa Cutthroat"....
Despite never really wanting drops on a 29er, I'd like to give something like that a go. My initial thought* is the big wheels are at odds with drops set up in the way they'd need to be on a bike like that (vs a wider H-bar or similar) but still, interested. So far I'm pretty settled on 29er + loop bar for tech ability and mostly off-road and 650x50ish + drop bar for distance ability and some off-road - but I can see a cutthroat sitting in between those 2. Would be interesting to see if it offered anything over my current 29er.

*the one we should ignore otherwise we get into a stale set-up rut : )
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

jameso wrote:
all "What Gravel Bike" threads should begin and end with a single post: "Salsa Cutthroat"....
Despite never really wanting drops on a 29er, I'd like to give something like that a go. My initial thought* is the big wheels are at odds with drops set up in the way they'd need to be on a bike like that (vs a wider H-bar or similar) but still, interested. So far I'm pretty settled on 29er + loop bar for tech ability and mostly off-road and 650x50ish + drop bar for distance ability and some off-road - but I can see a cutthroat sitting in between those 2. Would be interesting to see if it offered anything over my current 29er.

*the one we should ignore otherwise we get into a stale set-up rut : )
That reminded me of a thought that's been bouncing around in my noggin for a while: is there a big enough difference between 700x45 and 650x50 to warrant getting a set of 650b wheels?
Mart

Post by Mart »

I usually have the grips with the supportive bit for my hand on the inside facing me, not the outside
Any advantage in running them this way?
2924 miles per Gallon
jameso

Post by jameso »

is there a big enough difference between 700x45 and 650x50 to warrant getting a set of 650b wheels?
Not really, but in reality the WTB Riddler 45 has a fair bit lower volume than the Byway or Horizon 47mm - it's the outside edges that get measured so the Riddler with its corner nobs does have a smaller casing. I'd say the larger OD / roll-over of the 700 x 45 gains what the volume loses, it's about the tipping point. Personally I prefer the added volume and cush of the 650s as I can use them at 25-30psi w/o issues and the roll-over effect is less of a concern on the terrain I use this kind of bike for. It's also easier to get 650B x 47 on a bike inc guards with good clearances if that matters to you.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

jameso wrote:
is there a big enough difference between 700x45 and 650x50 to warrant getting a set of 650b wheels?
Not really, but in reality the WTB Riddler 45 has a fair bit lower volume than the Byway or Horizon 47mm - it's the outside edges that get measured so the Riddler with its corner nobs does have a smaller casing. I'd say the larger OD / roll-over of the 700 x 45 gains what the volume loses, it's about the tipping point. Personally I prefer the added volume and cush of the 650s as I can use them at 25-30psi w/o issues and the roll-over effect is less of a concern on the terrain I use this kind of bike for. It's also easier to get 650B x 47 on a bike inc guards with good clearances if that matters to you.
Thanks, more food for thought
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

whitestone wrote:I have thought of adding two short tri-extensions to the front loop of the Jones at the points where it begins to bend back. The extensions would be a bit narrower than those on the Crazy bars but wider than road/TT versions. Jones do the Gnarwal but at £110 :shock: for a clamp and a bit of tube it's not cheap (that's today's understatement of the day competition sewn up :wink: ).
I did this with a pair of carbon bar-ends clamped on to the front of a pair of Jones Cuts. It sort of worked but wasn't perfect. I sacked it off after a few rides.

The front "horn" bars on the Caseys Crazys are great tbf.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

The one bike rule ( not mine!) finally led to a salsa Fargo,plus an extra wheel set, with one set of 2.4’s and a set of 2.1 nano’s it covers pretty much everything. Eventually I’ll add a road set and perhaps a plus sized front. I’ve a carridice bagman with a dynamo rear light on the support, that covers errands and heavy hauling. 5 minutes later the the porcelain rocket seat pack is in its place. For me it’s about the best do it all bike I can imagine, cheaper than a divorce apparently :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

What an amazing thread.. I often think along the lines of the theme of this. Currently builidng yhe mtb cos have realised that road riding on a fast (ish) road bike was almost taking the Ooo out of riding... cannot wait for the mtb to be on the trails again.

My 2 pence though for Gairy... Take the gravel bike :-bd