Simple drop bar conversion

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Simple drop bar conversion

Post by ootini »

I might be asking for the impossible, or at least non-existant.

Is there a set of 3 x 10 shimano STIs compatible with Shimano m396 hydro brakes, Deore 611 front and rear mechs, a Deore M523 40-30-22 chainset and a HG50 11-36 cassette?

Which would mean, from the perspective of a conversion, I could leave all the running gear alone and just swap bars and shifting kit ?
benconnolli

Re: Simple drop bar conversion

Post by benconnolli »

A simple solution would be bar end shifters combined with brake levers such as the TRP Hylex
ootini

Post by ootini »

benconnolli wrote:A simple solution would be bar end shifters combined with brake levers such as the TRP Hylex
I'd considered bar ends and brake levers, but was just curious if a compatible, integrated solution was available.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I don't think there are any road STIs that combine triple and hydraulic brakes, either from Shimano or SRAM.
For Shimano, I *think* that things might be further complicated by differing cable pull ratios between road and MTB groups, even at the same 'speed' level. You'd need to check that out too (with someone more authoritative than me). Might be possible to get around it with Rollamajigs or similar.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

None of the Shimano Hydraulic STIs have a triple front option.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Ta. I thought that might be the case.
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

An 11speed Shimano road shifter + an 11s wolftooth tanpan will shift a 10s Shimano MTB mech ok. Setup is a finnicky but it will work and has let me run out a 10s drivetrain. I also have a complete 10s road shifter - 10s tanpan- 10s MTB mech which is firmly in the 'set and forget' camp.
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

Have you looked at Gevenalle shifters?http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/gev ... 1371-p.asp
Pat

Post by Pat »

I've just converted my old 1995 Marin team ti to drop bars.. I used a pair of 105 (5700) shifters with 10 speed chainset, chain and an old xtr (952?) 9 speed rear mech. I am using V brakes though, as the frame is too old and doesn't have a disc mount on the rear!
Works perfectly!

I would have used some cable discs, and an adaptors, but the v's stop me fine
ootini

Post by ootini »

Tomwoodbury wrote:Have you looked at Gevenalle shifters?http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/gev ... 1371-p.asp
Nice! That fits the bill perfectly, apart from the price and not being in stock. Good shout. Thanks
Nevis

Post by Nevis »

What about running cable calipers with your drop setup?

I have a pair of midge bars and tektro levers with cable discs attached. When I want to swap to flats I remove the bars, calipers, shifters and cables and do a straight swap with my flat bars, hydro calipers, shifters and cables/pipes. Guess it takes about 15 mins to do the switch either way.

To be fair, it's not really what you are after as I don't have integrated shifter/brake levers. I use triggers shifters on the flats and also on the drops so no problems with shifter / mech compatibility.