Strava Heatmaps gone ‘sub-standard’

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rich3rd

Strava Heatmaps gone ‘sub-standard’

Post by Rich3rd »

Is it me, or has Strava Heatmap just lost loads of resolution recently? :???:

I use it for checking out some of my ‘slightly optimistic’ route planning, helps confirm if stuff’s rideable, but I’ve just been checking my WRT route and some of the heatmap tracks that I’m sure I checked previously are no longer visible. ~X( Does anyone know of any other mapping sources that use heatmap overlay that still work, my old favourites (cyclestreets.net & ArcGIS.com) have completely lost heatmap data?

Is this a conspiracy related to the new data protection / privacy laws perchance? :roll:
Never knowingly under biked...
whitestone

Re: Strava Heatmaps gone ‘sub-standard’

Post by whitestone »

It might be that they haven't been ridden much or at all in the last couple of years - the heat map only covers the last 24 months of rides. Of course the ten Strava users that log a ride along a moorland bridleway are swamped by the ten thousand getting their kicks in Coed y Brenin so it can be hard to see some of them.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
psling

Post by psling »

Strava is occasionally used by runners too and, as is often the case in mid-Wales, evidence of bikes along a route doesn't necessarily mean it is rideable! Maybe the heat map has sunk into the cold bog... :grin:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Did you try playing with the colours? I find blue shows up better (but I'm colour blind :grin: )
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As Peter says, with regard to the WRT it's probably not much use. Most of the year the area is ridden by very few but those who do aren't too worried about a degree of 'exploration'. I'd consider geograph a much more useful tool in these 'ere parts.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I wouldn't use strava heatmaps in BB land for fear that I ended up on some BB200 trails. :D