Virtual shopping opportunity

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rufus748

Virtual shopping opportunity

Post by rufus748 »

I'm looking to build a new bike. I'd rather build than buy off the shelf as I enjoy the process.
I currently ride a carbon Epic and carbon road bike. (Just happened that way). I want something that will replace the Epic and do more...
Decisions made already are:
29er
Steel hardtail
Two sets of wheels, SS and Alfine 11
Suspension forks and some rigid so I can swap around and have a rigid SS, front sus Alfine etc.
If all goes well i will sell the Epic.
Problem is I can't decide which frame. Looked at On One, Genesis, Singular, Salsa, Cotic etc. I've got a budget of around £1500 for the build and allowing for cycle to work I should save a fair bit.
So, what frame would you buy and why given the amount on the market?
Cheers!
johnnystorm

Re: Virtual shopping opportunity

Post by johnnystorm »

I've got a Swift and a Fargo and both come highly recommended. If you're going to be swapping between drivetrains I'd opt for the swift (got an Alfine 8 on mine) as the EBB makes tensioning a doddle. At 440 for frame & forks that leaves a decent amount for the rest of the build.
InspiredRamblings

Post by InspiredRamblings »

I'm tempted by a Surly Troll - for any variety of gear setups, rear rack if needed, many bottle mounts (6 I think).. but for a 29er I guess that you'd be looking at the Ogre...?
Salsa Horsethief XT (2020)
Jamis Dragonslayer (2016)

http://www.uninspiredramblings.com
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

As you say loads out there. Looks like a few nice Salsa models for 2013 though not studied them closely. I had this dilemma last year except that I wanted gears only so decided to avoid any slot dropouts etc to avoid unnecessary weight.

I really wanted a Cotic Solaris but in the end did not buy as it only has one bottle mount. I was unsure how much this was an issue as I often run with a frame bag but elected not to buy. Ended up with a bargain (alu) Niner which I am happy with. If bottle mount not an issue I would go for a green Solaris.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Just thought. Salsa El Mariachi with alternator dropouts. Triton Cycles have some good deals on Salsa framesets at the moment.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Really like the look of the Salsa El M but unsure of the tubing, basic 4130. Just seen the Pipedream Skookum 29er, 853 tubing. Can be run as SS, Alfine, belt or normal. Looks just the job!