Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dave Barter

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by Dave Barter »

Scattamah wrote:Congrats Dave. Going telecommuter or just a feck-off long ride every day? :)

Greetz

S.
Bit of both. Bed in office. Kip at in-laws. Camper van for a few nights a week
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Dave Barter wrote:
darbeze wrote:
Dave Barter wrote:I sold my house and we are now 100% moving to the seaside and feck off great hills of Devon ;-)
Don't forget the feck off great potholes too Dave. They haven't gotten any smaller either!

Si
I'll bring one of these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuJ3NDq4AlA
Err, your gonna take that down Devonshire lanes! You'll be popular :wink: .
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Dave Barter wrote:
darbeze wrote:
Dave Barter wrote:I sold my house and we are now 100% moving to the seaside and feck off great hills of Devon ;-)
Don't forget the feck off great potholes too Dave. They haven't gotten any smaller either!

Si
I'll bring one of these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuJ3NDq4AlA
1. Great news Dave.

2. That machine is a bit of a liability for several reasons, but a few of them that spring to mind (bearing in mind they do similar things on the railway - for an extended section of track at a time).
a.) doesn't fix the underlying collapsed sub-courses.
b.) no bonding between new section installed and above - only a matter of time before the surrounding collapses and you have the equivalent of a raised manhole cover.
c.) difficult to allow for camber/crossfall.
d.) no sealing edges.
e.) differences in thermal coefficients of expansion of the differing materials (unless you get batches of "inserts" made to the same material as the rest of the surfacing layer), meaning cracking etc.
f.) inefficient use of material.
g.) it's slow - you get some decent blokes on the tools - they can work quicker than that, with smaller kit that doesn't get in the way.
h.) that's a complex machine - it will break down and require expensive maintenance - blokes with simple tools can easily replace small parts to keep them mobile
i.) as with above, then there's the cost, which means less will get done.

that's just a few to get started...

Really what's needed is for stuff to just get sorted properly - not constantly bodged. Easier said than done.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Well last Friday was kiboshed due to being at work (only got *asked* at Thursday lunchtime, ah well). So today was a day off in-lieu :-bd

Thought I'd better get some distance in on the Spearfish now that I've built it up so headed over towards Settle via lanes and BWs. Cafe stop in Settle then back via the Settle Loop to Malham Tarn, Mastiles Lane, Weets Top and down to Hetton, Gargrave and back along the canal before up the hill and home. It was very windy on the tops, in fact I had to pedal all the way down the track into Hetton, normally it's a test of nerve before you brake!

Currently I've got Bontrager XR2 on the front and an XR1 on the back. These are summer tyres, let's just say there were choice words uttered when I pushed them beyond their design brief, AKA UK spring conditions. The rough bits of track were fine it was just where the grass was very thin or there was a veneer of mud.

Anyway, feel better for that :grin:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Breakfast on Dave!!! I know a nice little cafe by a harbour....
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Well done on the house move Dave, living near the sea is nice. I must admit I was lukewarm about it when we moved out here due to teenage memories of receiving an iced water enema being dragged around the Dovey estuary on waterskis by my father. However having the occasional beach day hiring canoes and Trish's open water swimming training are bonusses.
Does beg the question why you got rid of the kayak though?
Your plan of living in the camper during the week has me in mind of Alan Bennetts Lady in the Van, albeit with added swearing.
Had your mate Chickenlegs out here a couple of weeks ago, did a couple of rides with him but had to leave him to it when a week in the camper in Andalusia called.
Not such a cheery Friday in Casa Pistonbroke as just putting the finishing touches to a kitchen refurb and cursing the random nature of the walls in our 200 year old house, nothing is straight.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Where about in Devon Dave? We have a place in the tiny village of kings nympton ( near Barnstaple) ‘‘tis a lovely part of the world, laid back people who even still have half day closing in some places :-bd knobbers are far less common, people who drive 4x4’s actually need them, great seafood and venison :-bd AND vaguely exciting riding (fecking hilly almost everywhere though) .......sighs.....being trying to persuade Mrs D to move for years, kids are on board but...

Well done mate you will love it there, good place for the soul. :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Oh my own cheery Friday involves a new pair of warranty Raceface nextR cranks, empty house, IPA and Led Zeppelin VERY loud, happy days :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

BigdummySteve wrote:
Where about in Devon Dave? We have a place in the tiny village of kings nympton ( near Barnstaple) ‘‘tis a lovely part of the world, laid back people who even still have half day closing in some places :-bd knobbers are far less common, people who drive 4x4’s actually need them, great seafood and venison :-bd AND vaguely exciting riding (fecking hilly almost everywhere though) .......sighs.....being trying to persuade Mrs D to move for years, kids are on board but...

Well done mate you will love it there, good place for the soul. :-bd
Brixham so nowhere near as posh as you.
And Duncan, I have kept 2 kayaks ;-)
Robster

Post by Robster »

Great news Dave. Si, (Darbeze) is the other end of the bay and I'm between you both.

Two local kayak clubs, Ibex in Brixham and Paignton.

There's a few nice hills around too...

Good luck with the move. Cheers Rob
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Robster wrote:Great news Dave. Si, (Darbeze) is the other end of the bay and I'm between you both.

Two local kayak clubs, Ibex in Brixham and Paignton.

There's a few nice hills around too...

Good luck with the move. Cheers Rob
Thanks Rob I'm a lapsed member of Ibex and have paddled with them a few times. I know the hills only too well especially Jawbones :shock:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Obviously the sun's out, so that's reason in itself but I'm also cheery because ........

Dee came back from archery the other night with a broken / shattered arrow. 'Twas broken by someone else who was going to put it in the bin (it was a mess) but Dee said it might be repairable ... "don't be stupid, that can't be repaired" came the reply.

People really shouldn't say things like that as it's akin to showing a bull a really big red flag.

I'm looking forward to her showing him the shattered arrow tomorrow ... can you tell which was for the bin? :wink:

May the bridges you burn light your way
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

Nice job there Stu, in fairness not many of us have the knowledge to repair something like that.
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

The one on the bottom/right. If only due to the pattern disappearing and there being a black section in it's place.

Tidy job.
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

New trampoline arriving for the smallest bear in the house this afternoon, so we can burn off a bit of that unspent energy.

short little ride planned for sunday with said smallest bear and the mrs to see the bluebells in the local woods and then a slightly longer affair on my own after dropping them back off at the house.

payday

yay
Image Image
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I woke up this morning and walked along the Brixham breakwater before breakfast. Worked in the attic room with seagulls tapping on the windows and getting the arse with me. Did a short hilly ride at lunchtime and this evening Helen and I are walking to Dartmouth for beer and chips. Soon nearly every day will be like this as our Swindon house sale is gathering pace following an all-clear on the survey.
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Swindon --------> Brixham :-bd :grin:

Sunny weekend in prospect, box of bits for shed-based, bike build/tinkering, a ride planned with mates, a ride planned with the other half, maybe a first cold outdoor swim and some WRT planning.... all good and cheery.

(nice work on the arrows Stu :-bd )
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Managed to get out of the office early into the sunshine and planning a reasonable ride this evening of around 40km and a cheeky night under the stars .... which I will be able to see thanks to this luscious weather. :-bd :-bd
I'm just going outside ...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

TheBrownDog wrote:Managed to get out of the office early into the sunshine and planning a reasonable ride this evening of around 40km and a cheeky night under the stars .... which I will be able to see thanks to this luscious weather. :-bd :-bd
Apparently there's a good chance of the Northern Lights being visible tonight. Be worth finding somewhere with little light pollution.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Looking forward to a weekend of bike related activities with Saturday penciled in for taking the kids in the trailer around the Cannock blue trail and then Sunday being a day of WRT planning with much scratching of head as I work out what to carry where and if I really need it.
ballibeg

Post by ballibeg »

Covering an area with no Ambulance station so working from a hotel all weekend. I've the tunes on, the GR247 route info on the Chromebook and I'm annotating a map.

Happy day not in an office!!!
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Not so happy Friday , just about to start the ride in for first night on shift ,at least it's dry down the canal path ,but it will be a very happy Tues morning when the 4 nights are over,swings and roundabouts I keep telling myself
RIP

Post by RIP »

This seems to be one of the cheeriest Fridays for ages - nice one folks! Wasn't feeling particularly cheery until I popped in here. That's a pleasure taken simply isn't it? If everyone else is happy I'm happy. Awww. Saw Stu's arrows - lovely to take pleasure in craftsmanship I think. Broken by someone else? Wouldn't let anybody else NEAR my beautiful arrows :-). Then we have Landslide's tale - "bike wrestling". Well that's it for me to be honest. Something like mud wrestling presumably but substituting bikes. I'm a bit baffled how it's organised though. Is there some sort of betting system involved? "In the red corner we have an Orange P7, lot of experience, been around the block a few times, not much to look at but bomb-proof and can handle itself in any situation. The favourite tonight", "blue corner, upstart 29-er, Jones bars, seatpack installed, Rohloff hub, very a-la-mode, but a little wet behind the ears". Place your bets ladeeeeeezzzzz and gents. Probably some scope for a WRT sideshow there.

But Landslide mate, stuffed vineleaves?????? ACE! But you're in the Peak District for goodness sake, not SE Chilterns. Did you have a cappucino maker on standby as well????? :wink: . And "coconut imperial stout"?? That's as bad as my "salted caramel chocolate" stout that I had with MuddyPete the other week. You need to get signed up with the LHC, you'll fit right in :wink:.

"laughing out loud with the sheer joy of being out there" - nailed it.

TBD/Whitestone: "worth finding somewhere with little light pollution." - Nice one Tim, but "no light pollution in SE Chilterns"? I reckon that there Whitestone is well spoiled up there in his beautiful dales :wink:. "No light pollution" down here just means there isn't a stolen Merc blazing away in the wrecked children's playground........

But I still don't know what all that stuff is in "Post Man" about Extrex, Garmin, batteries, phones.....

I'll just have to console myself with this bottle of "Shipyard Rye Pale Ale", a bar of chocolate, and.... ONLY TWO WEEKS UNTIL WRT!!!! Yippee!!!

'Reg'
Last edited by RIP on Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Shipyard ale?! I’ll give you bloody shipyard ale! The sun is setting, it’s still warm(ish) out but mini voodoo is in bed, the wifey-voodoo is at work AND I’VE GOT NO BEER!!!

Still, lovely weather to cycle to and from work today, so it’s all good :lol:

Nice arrows Stu,impressive repair
RIP

Post by RIP »

Oh, just noticed MaM isn't quite so happy - sorry chap :cry:. Still, "swings and roundabouts" as you say - and, well, you can have a hell of a lot of fun on some swings and roundabouts: costs nowt, you get completely spaced out without imbibing dubious substances, etc etc. The best bit is if you go on the roundabout - one of those wooden ones with solid sides and top - spin it up to supersonic speed, lie on the top bit hanging on to the metal rods either side of both arms (gotta be careful cos your legs fly outwards cos of the centrifugal force obviously & you could slide off and fly away into the bushes, providing much hilarity for the kids present), whizz round a few times, then SUDDENLY lift your head up while it's spinning at top speed. No? Try it this weekend....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster