Travel Insurance

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JustinF

Travel Insurance

Post by JustinF »

Any recommendation for wallet friendly bike specific or otherwise short trip European cover? I'll be needing it for TNR but also seems sensible to have for another trip I'm doing in July.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence you ever tried.
Scattamah

Re: Travel Insurance

Post by Scattamah »

I'll add to this...I'm looking for something that won't break the bank for coverage in the US next month.

Greetz

S.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

On the recommendation of Wriggles I used Virgin travel insurance for a 3 month trip to the US last year. I phoned them beforehand to confirm I was covered for the stuff I'd be doing, no problems at all. I can't comment if they would actually be any use as I didn't need to claim.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Ta for that. As I'm flying Virgin Atlantic, maybe they'll swing a deal (we can but dream).

Greetz

S.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

https://www.campbellirvinedirect.com/ci ... ecover.htm

Used these a few times but never had to claim.
JustinF

Post by JustinF »

Taylor wrote:https://www.campbellirvinedirect.com/ci ... ecover.htm

Used these a few times but never had to claim.
£41 for 10 days seems not bad and the 2k equipment cover is about right for me should the baggage chuckers get over-zealous.
I'd go uninsured but the event requires it so the two main concerns for cover are repatriation and equipment; does equipment cover, cover breaking bits of my bike on terrain? It'd cover dropping a camera so does it cover breaking a mech or pringling a wheel? (cover varies for policy to policy ofc, but would you expect it to in general?)
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence you ever tried.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I’ve used Dogtag for Mtb in the alps heli-Rescue and all medical costs cover.

It’s not the cheapest but the level of cover (and their reported reputation) are both V good.
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

I use Dogtag as well, it is clear what they cover, which I like, but as Ian said not particularly cheap !
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Have been with BMC Insurance for years; had to claim once (big med bills in Canada, 2009), and they sorted everything without too much fuss. However, the policy costs have steadily increased every year, way beyond inflation, and this years hike is totally taking the piss. Had a look at DogTag, and their top policy (Extreme Plus) for a trip of up to 31 days is £377; about half of the BMC quote.

But, are they any good when it all goes pear-shaped?
Scud

Post by Scud »

I have always used Dog-Tag mostly because if you specify the sport you are doing, they will cover you correctly, unfortunately i did have to use them and they were great, i had an off in Bolivia where i dislocated shoulder, broke arm (needing screws in shoulder) and stabbed myself in leg with brake lever at over 4000m, they had no qualms at all with dealing with it, they had contacted hospital and confirmed monies were in place before i'd even arrived there. When i had loads of problems with being flown back as a medical emergency on American Airlines where two flights were cancelled, they stepped in a i was placed first class on BA.
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

another vote for dogtag . used a few times and have claimed and was verry good
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Thanks guys - DogTag it is then.