Bivi/Tarp use in snow advice please.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gairym

Bivi/Tarp use in snow advice please.

Post by gairym »

This is a call to those of you who're more bivi/tarp accomplished than me.

I've been doing some calculations and it's looking like my only window for an overnight bike/bivi/bike trip is this weekend.

For some reason (I'm reluctant to use the word stubborn but it seems to fit) I'm dead set on sticking with the tarp/bivi combo instead of being sensible and using my tent but.....

We've still got over 30cms of snow and it's not looking likely that it'll be anywhere near gone by Saturday.

So here's my query:

How the hell do you go about setting up camp using a tarp and bivi setup when there's a crap-load of snow around?????

I've got a few ideas rattling around in my head but to be honest the best I've come up with so far is to set off as early as possible and heading down as low as possible before attempting to set-up camp.

I can also call into use my (heavy) 3m x 3m DD Tarp which might make for more pitching options.

What would you do?

Any help appreciated as always.

Cheers, Gairy.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Bivi/Tarp use in snow advice please.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The issue might be getting pegs to hold. If the snow's deep then you'll have to use rocks, logs, trees, etc in place of pegs.

If the snow's much over 4" deep stamp out a sleeping platform (compact the snow). You should just be able to pitch a tarp over the top of it then. Add a decent sized groundsheet and you'll be fine.

Your 3 x 3 tarp should set up as a roomy half pyramid ... move the pole inwards and you'll have a beak too. Try and get the bottom of your pole on solid ground, otherwise it'll sink in the night and we can guess what happens then ;)

A tarp can be less grief than a tent in the snow because it hasn't got a built in groundsheet. Tents have a habit of sinking/falling over because the snow beneath you melts during the night.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

Use the snow to bury one edge of the tarp to seal the lower edge, string the upper by bike /tree and kip downwind of the angled windbreak? Just an idea not advice from practice - I've bivvied in the snow a few times but never needed a tarp, low wind or sheltered spots. Woke up half snowed-under once tho )

Sticks or branches would work as well as stakes if buried in the snow. Even a bag (small carriers?) filled with snow then tied off can be good - a well-buried rucsac can be abseiled off but I'd rather not need to test that one ..
gairym

Post by gairym »

thanks folks - will use the info and see how it goes.....

(though keeping fingers crossed for warmer weather between now and then)
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I had a snowy bivy recently. Great fun!

I stamped and kicked out a trench long enough to lie in plus a couple of feet extra. Then pitched the tarp over this. I use the front wheel at the back of the tarp and raise the seatpost as high as possible and attach to the saddle rail. I'd pitched facing the back of the tarp into the wind and built a snow wall about 6 inches away from the end to provide shelter. It was a pretty breezy night but I was well sheltered.

Unless the snow is very deep or very well consolidated you should be able to get to the ground to get pegs in. Worth having an easy line adjusting system to allow flexible peg placement though.

Enjoy!
gairym

Post by gairym »

I've changed my plans a little - I've shifted some things around and I'm now doing (well, I'll be attempting) a lovely little 100 mile road ride tomorrow and postponing the bivi trip until next weekend as it works out better with Mrs Boss (and hopefully the snow gods too!).

Will report back with pics of snowy conditions.....