OT: kids bike advice

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gairym

OT: kids bike advice

Post by gairym »

Our (almost) 7 year old needs a new bike and she's starting mountain bike lessons with school in the summer.

So.....

Looking for something light, good quality and not too spendy (I know, I know, pick two or possibly even just one).

In the running are.....

Islabike 'Beinn 20 large':

Light, sensibly built but oh so expensive (though with good resale value).

Hoy 'Bonaly 20':

Light, sensibly built and cheaper (though not sure on resale).

Pinnacle 'Ash 20':

Not as light but not bad, looks well built and cheaper again.

We don't want/need suspension and a lot of the 'cooler' more mountain bikey options are heavy and look cumbersome.

So anyone got any thoughts/experience of the above or anything else to offer up???

Thought James might have some words of wisdom being Mr Pinnacle and also after seeing his face pop up in the Hoy product video :)

Anyone selling one?

All thoughts and input appreciated.

Cheers, Gairy.
rufus748

Re: OT: kids bike advice

Post by rufus748 »

I had the same conundrum and went with the islabike in the end. Great bike, light and well built.
Bought second hand, sold 2 years later for almost the same as I paid for it.
They certainly hold their value well and the newer model than the one we had is even lighter.
Nevis

Post by Nevis »

Same story here.

My daughter had a new Beinn. When we sold it the price of a new one had gone up and we got all the money back. She then moved to a frog bike. Not as good quality but still nice, I imagine it's on a par with a Hoy. Same thing happened with the money when sold.

Think those 2 bikes cost a total of £30 over 5 years.

The downside is you need the money to put in to begin with.

The other way is to check 2nd hand resale prices and go for a 2nd hand quality bike that best holds value.

If we'd bought bike shaped objects it would have cost a lot more.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I bought an Islabike Beinn Large for my son, he absolutely loves it

Daughter now riding so need to get her a bike, will also get her an Islabike, she'll be OK on a small and will just get on a large.

Pricey, but worth it. Will probably pick mine up second hand
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Our kids are just onto adult small/extra small bikes now.

But they went through various islabikes in 20,24 and 26 sizes. As above , they hold value well and if you can stomach the upfront cost are a good investment
gairym

Post by gairym »

Thanks all, seems Isla win the popular vote.

We'll definitely buy used if we can which is less possible with the non-Isla options.

One reason I'm not too terrified of investing in new if I have to is that each bike purchased will go through three kids before being resold so value will be extracted from them and not sure how much they'll be worth once they've been used and abused by all three???

Hmmm, need to look around.....
psling

Post by psling »

How tall is she? You're listing 20" bikes, I'd have thought she would need 24" at 7 years old?
We are currently buying for my 5 year old grandaughter (1.19m tall) who is moving from 20" to 24" wheel - we're looking at Ghost 24" at the moment but also considered Isla and Frog.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
gairym

Post by gairym »

You're right, she's on the cusp.

Because it's off-road and because she's a bit of a coward I thought she'd benefit from a smaller bike which her younger brother could then get sooner (as she'll likely need a 24" in a year).

But thinking about it, it might make sense to get the larger now???

Crap! There's a noticeable step up in price and a lot more choice - bugger.

More research needed.....
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

At 7 years, I'd also think a 24in bike would be a better bet.

My kids both had Islabikes. They're worth the money and as above, hold their resale better than other bikes. That said, a mate has just bought his son a 24in Hoy bikes Bonaly. It's very well specced, the same weight as the Islabikes Beinn 24, but a full £120 cheaper.

https://www.evanscycles.com/hoy-bonaly- ... e-EV203132

I'm just going outside ...
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

If you decide to go for 24" wheeled bike and second hand, we have a frog 62 in orange in our household. My daughter is moving onto a small adult frame that I will build up for her.

Cheers
psling

Post by psling »

Not really relevant, just me being a proud grandad :cool: but this is my 5 year old on a 16" https://www.facebook.com/jtillings/vide ... 161678196/

Oh, and I lied in my earlier post!! It's a 16" wheel! But we are getting 24" next which she does now fit.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Hi Gairy, we just put the new Hoy range up on line, worth a look. Lighter inc all new frame tubeset and better detail spec, RRPs generally same. I'd put them up against anything out there in terms of fit and weight - they may be lightest in a few wheel size categories. Resale is good, they've been out there long enough to have a good rep. Not at the islabikes level maybe but they're less to begin with. TBH the Bonaly 20 is one of the bikes I'm most proud of and Scott here did a true weight weenie job on the new spec! Really happy with them.

Pinnacles are good, they're just not quite as light and made to hit a lower RRP. Frame weight and steel fork is the main difference, not a lot in it otherwise.
Cheers, James
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Just to confuse matters, try looking at Squish and Frog bikes too, nice and lightweight. Raleigh also do a range too, similar thing, think it’s called the performance range
gairym

Post by gairym »

After much deliberation we took delivery of the new bike today!

We are very excited to get out on it asap.

Cheers James and all for the assist.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Very nice, I still remember the feeling of getting my first new bike even after a large number of new bikes and even larger number of years ... and doesn't she look like her mum?
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

:-bd