Phone advice ;)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

Phone advice ;)

Post by Mike »

Right so iv been using Android phones for yrs but my old galaxy 5 needs replacing soon. My friend has an iPhone 6s plus she is selling and wants about 160quid it's mint! Question should I stick with android or try the iPhone brand? What's ya thoughts.... Sorry its not bike related this one but I know a lot of you will be on the iPhone :-bd
Mart

Re: Phone advice ;)

Post by Mart »

Ohh this will bring out the lovers and haters on both sides
Ive got a work android and personal iphone. Both are fairly intuitive - just go with the one you like best
2924 miles per Gallon
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Young fella , daughter and wife all have iPhones but they all seem to be a bit fragile , depends how careful you are mate, they seem to get through a couple of screens or home buttons in the time it takes the contracts to run out ,im a bit of the missing link (you've met me so you know I'm not a delicate type of person) and don't seem to have had any problems with my samsungs
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've had a couple of iPhones, no more fragile than you'd expect a bit of electronics with one case side made of glass to be. Current one's at least 3 years old and looks fine. I've broken the glass once - my fault I dropped the phone and it landed glass side down on the road :o Most of the time it lives in a bum bag and that just gets shoved wherever. When I'm out biking the phone's in an exped drybag either in a Camelbak pocket or something like an Alpkit Fuel Pod.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Had four iPhones now, and I hate being an Apple whore, but they have designed a system that traps people once they have invested their information assets into it. A big factor for me was seamless (in theory) integration across 4 Apple devices; if I was just after a stand-alone device, it would not have been Apple; just take the piss with wringing money out of their customers at every opportunity. Apple stuff does appear to be well built; my old iPad lasted 6 years before it became too slow, but it never actually failed. Mac Book is almost 8 years old, gets used daily, and soldiering on despite Apple's best attempts to disable it through software updates...!

When cycling it is in my pocket, in a waterproof bag; I wouldn't use it as a primary nav device as, whilst technically very capable, it is just too fragile and GPS use hammers the battery, especially if streaming maps.
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

6s should be eligible for a battery replacement for £29 from Apple. Well worth it if it has already been done.

6s isn’t waterproof, 7 onwards is.

I’ve found iPhones pretty robust, I don’t treat mine carefully and they’ve been fine. I get a new one from work every two years and pass the old one on to my missus.
haydenw

Post by haydenw »

I've owned several Samsung Galaxy's (S3, S5 and S7 Edge) over the years and the IPhones never appealed to me.

My S7 Edge is a great phone and developed an internal LCD crack which meant i had to send it back to Samsung meaning i would be without a phone for a couple of weeks. As the S7 uses a micro SIM it was incompatible with my old phones so i picked up a iPhone 5 SE (as it fit the SIM, was relatively cheap and a small phone).

During the time i used my iPhone i really didnt think i would like it and get on with it but suprisingly i really got on with it and liked it, so much so when i got the S7 edge back i gave that to my wife and kept using the iPhone. I find them really easy to use (once you get used to them) and the size of the phone was a big factor. The S7 edge is a better phone in my opinion but guess i lost any ocnfidence when i got the screen crack (its still working fine now).
Mike

Post by Mike »

Cheers for the above all, I shall go away and have a think to whether I need apple in my life or not :lol:
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

I had a windows phone
RIP
Needed to change
Coming from windows phone both iOS and android looked pretty identical; a grid of icons
I liked how iOS was more locked down and the hardware of the iPhone.
So went with iPhone.
As you’re already an Android user would it not be easier to stay with Android???
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I like Android. You're not tied in to apple products and apps and everything ending up apple, plus apple products are never cheap.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Embrace your freedom ... and don't bother with any, it's kind of liberating :grin:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

@Mike - there's a 6s Plus sitting here if you want to mess around with one first. I shoved it in a Lifeproof case so it doesn't get bashed about. It's the monster phone that I had in Spain last year.

Greetz

S.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Not so sure about it all. Might wait till this one properly dies then I have no choice :lol:
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Although I’ve had iPhones since the 3 I’d go with whatever you prefer, initially the iPhone locked down ecosystem was good as it prevented crashing etc. I believe that android has caught up reliability wise.
When my wife had android phones I was a full time IT support tech, apple is so intuitive that most stuff either just works or is simple enough to figure out.

If you’re an geeky type then then iPhones don’t really let you mess much, you can’t see the file system or structure, if you’re used to dropping files willy nilly on to an android it will seem very basic. BUT the advantage is a stable system, it’s utterly reliable in my experience, now I’ve a waterproof iPhone I find it an excellent and reliable navigation device, my plus sized phone lasts very well if you manage it, I generally turn off WiFi and Bluetooth, sometimes data as well.

In my experience a well managed iPhone has similar battery life to many garmins but is more stable and has a FAR better screen,I can see a point for the lower end garmins with AA battery options, in fact I’ve recently picked up a gpsmap64. I expect to be disappointed even though my expectations are low.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Mike

Post by Mike »

Oh no the Garmin 64 is a great gps unit I have the older 62 ( due an upgrade) it's very good.