Brooks saddles

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

Brooks saddles

Post by Mike »

Just a quick one, I'm after a new saddle so thinking I may as well try one! So who uses them rates them and recommends them
Do I get a 140mm or 162mm wide?
I'm looking at the cambian c17 carved or is the std one better or even the c15??
Ta
pistonbroke

Re: Brooks saddles

Post by pistonbroke »

Living where you do, it's worth an e mail punt to them to visit in Smethwick to sit on various types. If you big up your exploits they may even make you an ambassador :-bd or just give you a bit of discount.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

pistonbroke wrote:Living where you do, it's worth an e mail punt to them to visit in Smethwick to sit on various types. If you big up your exploits they may even make you an ambassador.
Free Ferrero Rocher?
Blue Wheeler

Post by Blue Wheeler »

Just bought a B17 needs breaking in (1000 miles they reckon?) Seems reasonably comfy but yet to do a big ride. You WILL need to buy a rainproof cover as they don't like getting wet! They are only a tenner off e bay, also you'll need to spend another tenner on proofide but that should last a year.

PS measure your sit bones before deciding on saddle width (plenty of you tube tutorials) they are fairly wide compared to modern saddles.
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

I have two C17s, not the carved ones. Really like them, they seem to suit an mtb/touring position on the bike. Very comfy indeed for long days, and especially repeated days.
They didn't work so well for me with a road bike-ish position.
If use one of the Wildcat type rear harnesses, thread the saddle rail straps through the bag loops - makes the whole thing very secure.
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
bearlymoving

Post by bearlymoving »

I go for C17 carved on drops, C17 standard on flat bars. I'd probably get the C19 for my MTB if I was buying a new one now though. Partly because I've not tried it, partly because I reckon the extra width would be comfier on long days on bumpy surfaces (not that I have any trouble with the C17 in that department).

I also suspect the new "waterproof" version might be a bit comfier, as (again "I suspect") the base is made of slightly more flexible material. Weirdly, they're also cheaper.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Sold mine on and got a WTB.
You don't realise what a comfy saddle is until you find one so good luck.
Oh and Brooks customer complaints is rubbish.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

I have what i think is a B15 ? might be something different but similar (bought from posti ritch.) , i used it on my annapurna trip and it was amazing still comfy and no saws after 2 weeks in the dust etc
gairym

Post by gairym »

After a couple of well publicised (well, loudly complained about by me) saddle/arse interface incidents I now ride Brookes saddles on my two main bikepacking bikes.

Cambium C15 (carved) on the 29er and a C17 on the gravel bike (though am about to switch them around).

Totally solved my problems!

I still love my Charge Spoons for any ride up to about 4-6 hours in length but beyond that I use the Brookes.
Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

Two C17s here and about to get a third.

As mentioned, it's worth trying the different widths. (I was a long term B17 user so knew the 17 was right for me).

I may just have been lucky but I've had great customer service from Brooks. I emailed asking how much for a replacement bolt and 2 arrived the following morning at no cost...
Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...
Mike

Post by Mike »

I'm sure my ass measured 143 when I went into Evans for a size up so I'm sure a 140 would be better than the 160. I need to find a shop that has em to look at I think. Iv been buying cheaper saddles but they don't seem to last very long and start creaking like mad which does my head it!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Shona stocks 'em Mike. She often donates some for the WRT prize fund.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mike

Post by Mike »

Need some a bit closer pal than manc. When i get around to it ill do some googling see if anyone here sells em ;) or if I haven't got one before wrt ill buy some raffle tickets :-bd
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

They had them in On Your Bike in Digbeth the last time I went by, though that was a year ago.
Mike

Post by Mike »

So had 2 results today firstly the back issue is now getting looked at but iv just got back from the brooks factory in Smethwick where not only did the guy show me around the whole process which was amazing to see but he also gave me a c17 to test before I buy. So hopefully I can now try it for 3 weeks or so and see how it feels. The guy has worked for then for 57 yrs so it was a very interesting tour!!
Cheers Duncan for sowing that seed!
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Mike wrote:So had 2 results today firstly the back issue is now getting looked at but iv just got back from the brooks factory in Smethwick where not only did the guy show me around the whole process which was amazing to see but he also gave me a c17 to test before I buy. So hopefully I can now try it for 3 weeks or so and see how it feels. The guy has worked for then for 57 yrs so it was a very interesting tour!!
Cheers Duncan for sowing that seed!
Have the C17. My pelvic bone should be on the C15 but as the saddle went into my mountain and fat bikes (and the sadldle was inline with the bars), to wider saddle for the more upright position made sense. Nice and comfortable
Mike

Post by Mike »

Yeah the guy told me the c17 is better for a more upright position as it's wider and the 15 is more suited to drops
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Yeh, that's all well and good but what we all want to know is did you get any Ferrero Rocher?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

:lol:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Worth sitting on one for first impressions before buying.

Just for balance rather than any '1 better than other' stuff, I've tried the Cambiums but they just don't work for me (unf.. as they look good). The Brooks shape is very rounded / convex and I find the WTB flat / concave rear shape far more comfy.
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

I've always been a skinny saddle user, but acquired a cambium carver 17.

Fabulous.
Mike

Post by Mike »

First impression of this saddle is jesus its hard on the sit bones! Ok i wasnt using padded shorts. Like James said i guess not all saddles fit everyone, as its on trail i will do that but not sure im going to get on with it over long days perched on it! James just out of interest which wtb saddle do you prefer? Its bee along time since i last had one and i think it was something v? Im not sure they even make the one i used to use anymore, the rocket v looks ok but iv read reviews about all their build quality?? any issues
sds bel air where nice but do they make these anymore like they were
jameso

Post by jameso »

Mike, try the WTB Volt maybe, it replaced or equals the pure and rocket shapes and comes in a few widths. I ride w/o padded shorts for days on a Volt quite happily (why pad your arse when the saddle should do that job?). The 142 volt is my fave saddle shape of all time tbh, all-road or MTB.
Pinnacle use Volts on quite a few models, we get a lot of good feedback on them and will spec on more bikes in future.
Build - I've broken a few ti rails, WTB and others, took a lot of use to fatigue them tho. I tend to stick to crmo these days. No other issues aside from simple wear of surfaces, they fare as well as anything there.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Cheers James.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Mike wrote:First impression of this saddle is jesus its hard on the sit bones! Ok i wasnt using padded shorts. Like James said i guess not all saddles fit everyone, as its on trail i will do that but not sure im going to get on with it over long days perched on it! James just out of interest which wtb saddle do you prefer? Its bee along time since i last had one and i think it was something v? Im not sure they even make the one i used to use anymore, the rocket v looks ok but iv read reviews about all their build quality?? any issues
sds bel air where nice but do they make these anymore like they were

Big difference in longer-ride comfort if you wear padded bibs. Or or tough in the, ahem, seated area.

If you prefer a narrow ish (140..) saddle the cloud by Bergman is worth look

I rode my 2016 ht 550 on a cambium and (quite a lot of) 2017 on a cloud. I think 2017 was comfier...