How Much Kit?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

grmtylr

How Much Kit?

Post by grmtylr »

I’m looking for a saddlebag at the moment for some trips but unsure what size to go for.

I’ll be travelling fairly light with probably some trainers, bib shorts, jersey, shorts and a t shirt going in the bag along with some other odds and ends.
Would this be likely to fit in an 11 litre saddle bag?
I’ve no idea what’s a realistic amount to be able to carry in these bags.
psling

Re: How Much Kit?

Post by psling »

grmtylr wrote:I’m looking for a saddlebag at the moment for some trips but unsure what size to go for.

I’ll be travelling fairly light with probably some trainers, bib shorts, jersey, shorts and a t shirt going in the bag along with some other odds and ends.
[Not being funny but...] it may depend on what size feet you have if you are taking trainers! Measure the length of your trainers and that will probably dictate the size of bag (remember, if it's a roll top bag it will need enough length to be closed). Everything else should push in either inside or alongside the trainers.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
grmtylr

Post by grmtylr »

psling wrote:
grmtylr wrote:I’m looking for a saddlebag at the moment for some trips but unsure what size to go for.

[Not being funny but...] it may depend on what size feet you have if you are taking trainers! Measure the length of your trainers and that will probably dictate the size of bag (remember, if it's a roll top bag it will need enough length to be closed). Everything else should push in either inside or alongside the trainers.
That's a bloody good point, I never thought of doing that :grin:
Dovebiker

Post by Dovebiker »

Trainers? Pair of flip-flops / lightweight sandals strapped to the sides?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

13 litres seems a pretty popular size. Start to go much bigger and sway and wobble become an ever increasing problem (not that it's really a problem, no one's going to die or starve if your bag sways a bit under spirited climbing). I think my concern about trainers rather than size, is the fact they're surprisingly heavy - which again makes the sway issue worse.

In answer to your question - I'd be very surprised if what you describe doesn't fit fine in a 11 litre pack.
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Inov8 shoes and other such bare foot technology shoes are great for this sort of thing, leave the traditional running shoes at home
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

voodoo_simon wrote:Inov8 shoes and other such bare foot technology shoes are great for this sort of thing, leave the traditional running shoes at home
Barefoot shoes are great for this sort of thing, otherwise wear the same shoes for riding and casual.
grmtylr

Post by grmtylr »

Pirahna wrote:
voodoo_simon wrote:Inov8 shoes and other such bare foot technology shoes are great for this sort of thing, leave the traditional running shoes at home
Barefoot shoes are great for this sort of thing, otherwise wear the same shoes for riding and casual.
Same shoes for riding and casual won't work as I'll be riding in road shoes so don't much fancy walking around in them off the bike!
Flip flops might work as hopefully it'll be decent weather for the trip.

The main trip I'm planning is a week through France credit card touring so no need for tents and sleeping bags etc. After that I'll be meeting up with friends so I'll have fresh kit which I won't be needing to carry around day to day.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

I bought a pair of these as tent and river crossing shoes for Iceland.
Work well
Light weight
Quick drying
Cheap
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/50-aquashoe ... 30684.html
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

I use these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Birkenstock-Cl ... th=1&psc=1

Plastic Birkenstocks. Light, cheap, and well, spotty dog IMHO..