Anyone Know About Whoopie Slings or Used Them?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Cheeky Monkey

Anyone Know About Whoopie Slings or Used Them?

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Got a Hennessy Expedition Asym and keep coming across mention of these slings (http://www.whoopieslings.com/) and the "marlin spike" hitch. Having watched a few youtube vids (Shugs' being highly entertaining :lol:) and read stuff on HammockForum I think I get it. Just wondering if anyone had used any / had any thoughts?

They seem to be put across as some holy grail type mod'. Are they really all that?

I must admit to being an overnight-in-a-hammock-virgin. Just got to find the time when there isn't something else on or the weather doesn't tempt me to wuss out (like that's going to get better in the next few months :roll:).
Taylor

Re: Anyone Know About Whoopie Slings or Used Them?

Post by Taylor »

I've looked into those from Whoopie sling but can't figure them out.
Got some other stuff from them last year though.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Got to admit that up until yesterday I was struggling to work out the why and how but then found a thread on hammockforum. Given the outlay isn't huge I've ordered a set. Looks like I'd better do a write up in the Queen's english then ;)

They also appear to be pretty easy to DIY but I can be a right sucker for the "easy life".
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Would be keen to see them in the flesh.
You doing BB200?
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Not planning to at the mo'. Based around Leeds if that helps. Happy to tell you all about them / pics etc when they arrive. Email confirmation of posting yesterday so probably a week or two from States.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Blimey they arrived on 13th which must be some kind of record from the States :o

Sods law I have now found they sell them on both UKHammocks and DD Hammocks websites in the UK. D'oh!

Not tried them in anger but hoping to at least muck about and see if they're up to it this weekend. Initial obs; went for the 10ft ones (6ft is the "standard"), suspect all the extra length will be un-needed, incredibly simple and easy to tension / release, also look (I haven't tried yet) very easy to make, weight is low. Also got some toggles as they were cheap and curious. Initial observation is that they'd be better on 1" strap rather than all my huggers that are 1.5".

TBH there's been a lot of d'oh! moments getting these :oops:

I've got some Amsteel blue (vaguely reminiscent of bind-a-twine from my childhood days on the farm) on order from DD Hammocks. There's only a couple of quid difference between the amount of material and a pre-made WS on their site, I guess. However, I like knots and this stuff seems so simple I'm keen to try and make one myself.