SRAM force question

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Al

SRAM force question

Post by Al »

Have just purchased some hydro force 1x11 shifters off this very forum for a new build. Feeling a little out my depth having run shimano kit on pretty much every bike I’ve owned (apart from one road bike with a 10 speed drivetrain).
What are my options for a rear mech without breaking the bank? I’m getting conflicting info from googling - I think I can use a mtb mech, but can it be 10 speed? (Was thinking GX 10 speed if it’d work).
I gather there is much more compatibility with SRAM but want to be sure!

Any advice appreciated...
mat_swan

Re: SRAM force question

Post by mat_swan »

I think the 11sp road stuff is the same actuation as everything up to 10sp. 11sp mountain is different and 12 different again. What cassette are you looking to run? I bit the bullet and bought the 1150 XD cassette over Shimano when I went 11 speed this time last year and it's impressively hard wearing (as well as- nice bonus- being lighter).
If you want a cassette with a 40 something in it I think you're probably best looking at which ever 'insert road groupset' 1 mech suits your budget. I think the long cage on each is compatible with the big cassettes
Al

Re: SRAM force question

Post by Al »

Was thinking an SLX or sunrace 11-42 cassette and what ever mech would work - I kind of blew the budget on the shifters so hoping to pick up something. It too expensive, possibly off the flea bay.

Maybe this:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2833325046