27.5 plus tyres for mixed conditions ie Trans Cambrian

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Alh14

27.5 plus tyres for mixed conditions ie Trans Cambrian

Post by Alh14 »

I’ve currently got WTB Trail boss 3.0 tyres on my dragonslayer but they are the TCS light casing, just picked up a puncture (not tubeless on front yet).

That got me thinking what would be a good mixed conditions tyre suitable for wales, mendips etc ?
In Reverse

Re: 27.5 plus tyres for mixed conditions ie Trans Cambrian

Post by In Reverse »

I've been using a Maxxis Rekon on the back and Nobby Nic on the front. Grip and sturdiness all good so far. :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I found that Nobby Nics work so just run them all the time. I can't be arsed with the faff of changing them for different rides.
Loki

Post by Loki »

I too am using the Trail boss 3.0, a good tyre in most conditions, I do like the look of the Maxxis Rekon +, a bit more of an open space tread, I have used the HighRoller II 27.5x3.0, loads of grip but too draggy. I have a friend who swears by his Rocket Rons.
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

I run the TCS casings...they're fine as long as you pick clean lines (which I'm not much chop at). 2.25 Trail Boss TCS would be adequate on that route. I'd also add try and let it dry out a bit - I know...it's Wales and it's never dry. There are some grassy sections that get very soggy at the Knighton end.

Greetz

S.
Polisherman

Post by Polisherman »

I wouldn't touch the WTB light casing tyres. The Rangers came as standard on my Tarn, they didn't last one ride. SO thin!

I've currently got Nobby Nics 3". The back tyre is a bit overkill, it's the "double wall with foam reinforcement", but it was used for a week at Zona Zero, Spain, it was absolutely hammered, with not a single issue. It's too heavy for normal use though.
I'm wondering about a Rocket Ron next for the rear...