Electronic 1x12 with wireless drop-bar shifters

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ZeroDarkBivi

Electronic 1x12 with wireless drop-bar shifters

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

OK, I'm dreaming. But surely it can't be that far off? Technically I can't think of a reason why we couldn't have 1x12 SRAM Force-Eagle now - it just requires a slightly modified shifter lever. E-shifting (wireless or not) on an Eagle-style derailleur might be a bit more tricky to engineer, and would have too be robust enough to survive the sort of power-hosing that follows muddy rides.

So, those of you with an insight into the industry - any idea when we will see this on the market? Need to buy components for my new gravel frame, and as supply of SRAM Force 1x11 appears to be drying up, is that a sign that something new is on the horizon?
JoseMcTavish

Re: Electronic 1x12 with wireless drop-bar shifters

Post by JoseMcTavish »

You can have 1x11 with Shimano Di2 road levers and XTR rear derailleur right now if you don't mind the wires? Works really well!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Craig, it's probably not technical issues holding them back but the size of the potential market (or lack of). Road based Di2 was introduced in 2009 and I still don't see a large number among road cyclists, maybe 1 in 100 but does depend on where I'm riding.

I considered it when looking at kit for the Spearfish but one of the biggest benefits of electronic shifting that I see is setting both levers to be simply up/down and have the system work out the best combination as you change gear. With a 1x drivetrain this is redundant.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Works really well!
It does and that's coming from a sceptic who set out quite determined not to like it and has fitted downtube shifters to his latest bike :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

any idea when we will see this on the market?
Yes / not very soon.
and as supply of SRAM Force 1x11 appears to be drying up, is that a sign that something new is on the horizon?
Etap and Xsynch haven't been released in the same mech yet, not as far as early OE ranging info goes anyway.

An XT Di2 / Hylex mash-up like the Arkose Ltd edition is one solution for wide-ratio e-shifts and clutched 1x, or as mentioned use Di2 drop levers and have a redundant left side button (that you could probably hack to a magura electronic dropper .. by that time I've lost interest and faith in all the electronics though tbh :grin: ).

Whitestone makes a valid point. Di2 on road bikes sells well, relatively, but on MTB it's smaller part of the market and the development costs must be disproportionately high.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Thanks for the response. I probably should clarify my interest is more on the potential benefits of 1x12 over e-shifting. I'm already a big fan of SRAM Eagle, and the wide range with smaller gaps for a bike that I want to ride on and off-road would be perfect. I agree that e-shifting is most beneficial on a 2x system (which I want to avoid), although it would be nice for the days when fingers get a bit numb (through cold or excessive miles/vibration), or if I fit aero bars with 'blips'. My preference for e-tap is threefold; it's cheaper (or lighter), easier to carry and replace a battery, and a doddle to fit. The Shimano Road/MTB Di2 bodge is an option, but a bit of an expensive faff.

I suppose if it is not coming too, I can buy Force 1 without worrying too much about it becoming obsolete overnight... If only I could find a groupset package with a 165 crank!
Matt

Post by Matt »

Cycled around on a Pinacle Arkrose Ltd this weekend fitted with Shimano 1x11 Di2 on XT grafted somehow onto a TRP brake.

And....

I was smitten

It was bloody brilliant
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

I was just in the fortunate position of being able to choose between di2 and cable- new (SH) crosser had ultegra di2, old one has cable 1x.

The di2 was very, very cool and the idea of xt rear mech 1x was extremely tempting but in the end I came to a similar conclusion to whitestone- I prefer 1x and di2 offers less. As I'm also looking at running a dropper off the left shifter that tipped it for me.

One thing I would have really liked would be setting up both of the right hand buttons as a single shifter and both of the others as the other, a la SRAM etap. Oh well. Anyone want an ultegra di2 gruppo?

I am really looking forward to wireless stuff- ironically the bike it would most suit would be the commuter/tourer- singlespeed most of the time but think how easy it would be to add gears if they were wireless!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I was seriously considering it, I'd the derailleur, battery, shifter, display gubbins, etc in my CRC basket! Ultimately three things swung me against it:

1. As previously stated, a lot of the benefits are best seen on 2x or 3x systems. I run with 1x so apart from being able to configure the shifters for things like multi-shift there was no real advantage for me.
2. The cost! You can get an XT derailleur, shifter, chain and cables for less than the XT Di2 rear mech alone (In fact it's less than the XTR Di2 shifter!)
3. Related to 2. I've not yet done it but bashed rear mechs aren't unheard of - I don't fancy shelling out £190 for a mech if I knock it. Allied to this is availability: if you did break the mech then you have to replace it with a Di2 mech. Break an XT mech and it's likely that any bike shop will have a mechanical mech replacement. It might not be XT but so long as it was the same number of speeds it would work.

Electronic gears are one of those things I want to work but at the moment it's out of my league. If the overall cost was say double that of the equivalent mechanical system then it would be much more attractive. Looking at the road systems - Ultegra groupset is £500, the Di2 version is £920, whereas the MTB cost is triple.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

That is almost exactly my thought process, practically word for word. If I'd been building a proper road bike I'd have been all over the di2 but this is a cross bike and I have been known to have silly crashes on it from time to time.
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

The thought of damaging mine is a bit distressing, but I got everything on the cheap, bit by bit, to offset the distress if it happened. I went for it with when I was overhauling my road/cross bike because I wanted it to be 1x11 and it was the only way I could get the gear range I wanted using road shifters and an MTB rear mech at the time. To be honest, I'm pretty easy on my equipment so have never actually crash damaged any of my shifting parts, but it has survived two winters of daily commutes whenever the ice and snow arrives. I think I've only had to charge it two or three times too!