Which rucksack ?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

cragrat73

Which rucksack ?

Post by cragrat73 »

As question says what rucksack do you all use ? My mid 1990’s camelbak is showing it’s age and unsuitablility.
Thanks in advance.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Which rucksack ?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

None ... unless I really have to, in which case it'll usually be a Wingnut Hyper 2.5
May the bridges you burn light your way
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

Osprey talon
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

I use a wingnut splitback all the time on the cx and mtb, just for bladder, bars, phone and a spare layer or waterproof, extra food from a Spar stop. It's just big enough without tempting you to load it up. Really comfy and you can access the side pockets without taking it off.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

jam bo wrote:Osprey talon
+1

Not the lightest, but well designed and very comfortable to ride with.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Genuine question, why would you need a rucksack? I’ve found them to be horrible, sweaty and uncomfortable at best. Unless you foresee extensive bike carrying I’d rather pack it on the bike.
I came to bikepacking through road touring and have gradually weaned myself away from the ‘what if’ items and excessive baggage. Unless you’re out for several weeks you really don’t need much, there is also the illusion created by backpacks, the WRT scales of truth include backpacks, water etc for a good reason, you still have to carry it all to the top.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Willow16

Post by Willow16 »

I use a Karrimor Kimm Sac or a Camelbak Kudos 18. I don't fully load these, but like the extra capacity in case of an emergency. I always put detachable items (gps, lights etc) in my rucksack when away from the bike, in populated areas.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I carry one of these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sea-Summit-Ult ... B00B1941O0

As recommended by others on here, tiny and light, perfect for short duration stowage of beer/food.

jam bo

Post by jam bo »

BigdummySteve wrote:Genuine question, why would you need a rucksack? I’ve found them to be horrible, sweaty and uncomfortable at best. Unless you foresee extensive bike carrying I’d rather pack it on the bike.
I came to bikepacking through road touring and have gradually weaned myself away from the ‘what if’ items and excessive baggage. Unless you’re out for several weeks you really don’t need much, there is also the illusion created by backpacks, the WRT scales of truth include backpacks, water etc for a good reason, you still have to carry it all to the top.
I hate the way a loaded bike rides on singletrack. I can carry everything I need for an overnighter in my talon and still enjoy riding the trails to get there. I guess it depends what your focus is.
landel

Post by landel »

+1 for the Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Day Pack. Very flexible piece of kit that can easily be packed away when not needed. Use it mostly to store extra food in the evenings.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have 2 or 3 rucksacks I'll use depending on the route and load. Mostly it'll be my ancient Kimmsac or a newer Source one. I find they're much of a muchness in terms of comfort. The Kimmsac is simple, the Source has many small pockets. There are pros and cons to both approaches.

I also have tiny fold-away sack I bought from Mountain Warehouse that is handy for shopping raids. They're currently on sale at £6.99
gairym

Post by gairym »

BigdummySteve wrote:Genuine question, why would you need a rucksack? I’ve found them to be horrible, sweaty and uncomfortable at best. Unless you foresee extensive bike carrying I’d rather pack it on the bike.
I think this is one of those bikepacking subjects that totally divides people.

Like how Bivi/Tarp users simply can't fathom why people hide away in tents and Tent users failing to grasp why you'd suffer a night in a plastic bag.

Ultimately I think it boils down how tech the bikepacking you do is and how hard/fast you fancy riding it.

If I'm bimbling then I'd much rather have nothing on my back.

If I'm riding technical singletrack then I'd much rather have more on my back to allow for a more natural feel to throwing the bike around and for the inevitable shouldering of the bike.

I use either of the two Osprey 'Talon' bags that I've got. 20L for day trips or short bikepacking trips and the 33L for bigger, more remote trips.

I've also got a teenie tiny Osprey folding emergency shopping rucksack thingy that packs down to nothing and is great.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Sometimes I use a rucksack, sometimes I don't. Typically in summer I don't but it depends on the route. Usual sack if I do is a Kimm/OMM 25 litre sack. If it's just for water then a Camelbak Lobo. Having been walking/climbing for fifty years I'm fairly used to wearing a rucksack.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I was surprised how many BBers use a backpack, I asked the question here - http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... =7&t=11113

My last few trips have been with a backpack and a lighter set up on the bike, most recently just a seat pack (and bottles in bottle cages)

I have SO many rucksacks/backpacks, I have 4 folding ones alone

I've been using an Evoc FR Enduro blackline recently. Overbuilt for what I use it for but the back protector helps a lot with structural support and stops things jabbing in my back
ton

Post by ton »

long term wingnut user here. sits nice and low.

i too, like jambo, dont like to ride a bike loaded up to the hilt with bags.
i pack light, 2 week tours in france are 1 pannier jobs for me. my mrs uses her two and my 2nd one.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I generally take a rucksack for most day rides that I need to, because it's a lot less faff than affixing bags to my bike and ensuring they're packed out enough to support themselves. Also, as stated before, it keeps the weight off the bike so makes the ride more fun.

Bikepacking I'll make a call based on the likely conditions and amount of riding versus pushing. I find a heavy bike much worse than a heavy back when dragging up horrible terrain.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Prefer no bag but sometimes a Wingnut is just an easy option to pack :-bd (not really a backpack more a large arse bag with straps so not a sweaty)
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

benp1 wrote:I was surprised how many BBers use a backpack, I asked the question here - http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... =7&t=11113
Good thread, after reading it I’m beginning to come round to the idea, most of what I ride it would be best on the bike but it would be nice not to have any weight on the bars sometimes.

RIP

Post by RIP »

"divides people" - a cuddly-panda way of phrasing it might be we're, er "celebrating our BBB diversity" :smile:.

We were talking about excess packaging in another thread; in an analogous vein you could say, as we often do, that carrying around "excess" luggage simply causes it to be filled up. It's also dead weight. I can't believe I'm still hauling a fuel-tank round which almost weighs more than its contents (of cable ties, pencil/paper, keys, E-Lite, phone, cash, sweet wrappers, mysterious bits of bent metal etc). So rather than backpacks V bikepacks I'd be trying to reduce both/either where possible.

Have collected 4 Ospreys over many years, I'm sure mainly 'cos I like the rufty-tufty names: Raptor 10, Zealot 16, Talon 33, although "Exos" 48 (the original proper one with loads of pockets and things to fiddle with) isn't very butch is it really. There's a case for a backpack on day-rides or, gulp, tr@il c£ntre visits, but I assume we're talking BP here, and now it just seems simpler to leave my BP seatpack on all the time & shove stuff in there. I do use the S2S sil-sac for short-term bivi shopping though I must admit.

As for bike handling, our WRT2016 group hammered round most of Nant-Yr-Arian Summit trail with full gear on and I don't remember anyone not being able to satisfactorily "rail", "send", "nail", "smash", "carve", "clean", "gnarl" (how did all those get through the swear filter?!) any landscape feature. I've even careered round Cannock Monkey Trail with full BP kit to no particular ill effect including plenty of, ahem, "air time" (noo-o-o..). I wouldn't have said bike handling was all that noticeably affected in either case, not compared to my abilities or lack thereof anyway. If anything, more "planted" (oowwwww, there goes another one!) with the extra weight.

In summary, not for me thanks cos it just fills with more stuff.

So, I don't really do telly, but did anyone watch "Inside Number 9" last night? Superbly crafted just like the last series. Needs watching again to catch stuff I missed the first time.
Last edited by RIP on Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

As for bike handling, our WRT2016 group hammered round most of Nant-Yr-Arian Summit trail with full gear on and I don't remember anyone not being able to satisfactorily "rail", "send", "nail", "smash", "carve", "clean", "gnarl" any landscape feature. I've even careered round Cannock Monkey Trail with full BP kit to no particular ill effect including plenty of, ahem, "air time". I wouldn't have said bike handling was all that noticeably affected in either case, not compared to my abilities or lack thereof anyway. If anything, more "grounded" with the extra weight.
I kinda agree, though I come down on the side of the backpack as I think gear on your bike affects the handling more than gear on your back, to a degree. No way Id want to carry all my crap in a backpack. TLS is not my motto. One thing I really have issues with is getting off the back of the saddle with a seat pack doing its best to squish my gentleman's parts. I clearly "need" one of those dropper post compatible seat packs.
I'm just going outside ...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

One thing I really have issues with is getting off the back of the saddle with a seat pack doing its best to squish my gentleman's parts. I clearly "need" one of those dropper post compatible seat packs.
'Getting off the back' is really a bit of a misconception but it's something that rather sadly, is deeply ingrained within both mountain biking culture and perhaps more importantly, our own insticts.

Although titled 'which rucksack' I don't think we should rule out mentioning bum bags. I find them very handy for carrying bits and bobs without the problems we sometimes assosiate with rucksacks.
May the bridges you burn light your way
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Getting off the back' is really a bit of a misconception but it's something that rather sadly, is deeply ingrained within both mountain biking culture and perhaps more importantly, our own insticts.
Agreed. I coach it as a technique but it's remarkable how far back some people will want to throw their weight to go off a kerb ..... :grin:
I'm just going outside ...
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Another Wingnut fan / user here.
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

RIP wrote:
As for bike handling, our WRT2016 group hammered round most of Nant-Yr-Arian Summit trail with full gear on and I don't remember anyone not being able to satisfactorily "rail", "send", "nail", "smash", "carve", "clean", "gnarl" (how did all those get through the swear filter?!) any landscape feature. I've even careered round Cannock Monkey Trail with full BP kit to no particular ill effect including plenty of, ahem, "air time" (noo-o-o..). I wouldn't have said bike handling was all that noticeably affected in either case, not compared to my abilities or lack thereof anyway. If anything, more "planted" (oowwwww, there goes another one!) with the extra weight.

All that needs is a tale of overtaking some flouro-clad enduro dudes and you’ve have STW bingo. ;-)
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

jam bo wrote:
RIP wrote:

All that needs is a tale of overtaking some flouro-clad enduro dudes and you’ve have STW bingo. ;-)
I was a sight to behold, great fun, currently awaiting surgery :shock: :-bd