Advice on chairing for 1×11

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Justchris

Advice on chairing for 1×11

Post by Justchris »

https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CROOSS/on- ... -chainring

Will the above work for a 1×11 drive train. Just replaced my chain ring with another aluminium one. Couldn't believe how quickly the previous one wore out. And took me ages to figure out what my drive train problem was.

Any way. Will it work. Does a 11 speed chain ring fall into the 3/32 category. Google is being unhelpful today.

Thanks

Chris
Justchris

Re: Advice on chairing for 1×11

Post by Justchris »

No idea why this posted twice. But I can't delete it for whatever reason.

C
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

No idea why this posted twice. But I can't delete it for whatever reason.

C
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Justchris wrote:No idea why this posted twice. But I can't delete it for whatever reason.

C
https://youtu.be/kZTBDnj0Cgc
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

BigdummySteve wrote:https://youtu.be/kZTBDnj0Cgc
Not what I was expecting at all, but I liked that.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

11 speed chain should work. The spacing between the inner plates is the same as regular 3/32" chain, it's the outer plates that are slimmed down to give the chain a narrower overall width.

Downside to that chainring is it's not narrow/wide, so you'll probably want to give some thought to other ways of preventing chain drop.

Other downside is Planet X.
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

Landslide wrote:11 speed chain should work. The spacing between the inner plates is the same as regular 3/32" chain, it's the outer plates that are slimmed down to give the chain a narrower overall width.

Downside to that chainring is it's not narrow/wide, so you'll probably want to give some thought to other ways of preventing chain drop.

Other downside is Planet X.
I have a clutch mech. Also it will be used for something specific, that doesn't have much 'technical' stuff. Really shocked how quickly my last aluminium ring lasted. Probably less than 4000km. However I did get it because it was very cheap and very very light.

Thanks for that.

C
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've found that a NW chainring makes far more difference than a clutch mech. I've often left the clutch mech off, usually after changing wheels or similar, and not noticed any difference. The one time I didn't use a NW chainring I was dropping the chain regularly. In fact I dropped it more times in that one 3hr ride than in the rest of the three years I've had the bike.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

Used those on a couple of singlespeeds and a couple of 1x. Great ss chainring, lasts for ever. I don't use it anymore because I prefer an oval.

Had one on a 1x10 setup back when 1x11 was still hilariously expensive (possibly before? I'm not sure I'm cool enough for that) and you really need a chain guide if you're doing anything other than pretty gentle pootling. Tried it on a fs bike without a chainguide as the narrow wide that was supposed to be going on hadn't turned up and then spent the entire day putting the chain back on.

I'd agree with what Whitestone says about clutch Vs narrow wide.

If it helps I seem to have found works components n-w chainrings seem to wear better then some (in an entirely non scientifically measured way).

(Edit: also, planet X/on one)
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I'm another Works convert. Last really well for the price. Worth keeping an eye on their seconds page :-bd