Are you having owt interesting for Christmas?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Jurassic pusher

Re: Are you having owt interesting for Christmas?

Post by Jurassic pusher »

NorwayCalling wrote:I'm looking forward to "Santa" delivering a bunch of OS grid refs on Christmas Day.... :wink:
I maybe wrong but I think "Santa" is delivering those GR`s down your chimney on Christmas eve!
As for me, I`ve asked for 4 OS maps covering most of the Cairngorms and an Indian Motorcycle T shirt.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

As I am unbelievably fussy about kit, I don't expect anybody to second guess what the want. I have got some bikepacking stuff for the Mrs which might entice her to get out on either of her nice clean bikes next year!
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

NorwayCalling wrote:I'm looking forward to "Santa" delivering a bunch of OS grid refs on Christmas Day.... :wink:
:-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Pete-G

Post by Pete-G »

My folks have got me the Pizza Rack for my Sequoia, but aside from that, I've no idea. I'm sure there will be some booze along the way, and maybe I'll get chance to go ride my bike (not necessarily in that order :wink: )
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

In an attempt to better myself in an area I have been meaning to for ages, I am expecting a raspberry pi and some basic electronickery to 'learn stuff' on.

I've just bought a new (second hand) bike so I don't really need anything else there!

Christmas will be spent with the family- eat too much, brother in law and I will probably tinker with the above, we'll go for a walk at some point and attempt to come up with the most amusing/difficult charades we can, which will invariably lead to some hilarious results (my Mum's impression of Paddington Bear last year being a particular high note).

The usual really- I'm with the cheerful brigade!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I maybe wrong but I think "Santa" is delivering those GR`s down your chimney on Christmas eve!
Yes, that's right, Christmas eve. His elves are busy throwing darts at various maps as I type :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Yes, that's right, Christmas eve. His elves are busy throwing darts at various maps as I type :wink:
Now that's an interesting Christmas prezzy :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

This year Mrs M and I will be spending Christmas in Menton on the Riviera by the Italian border.
Staying in a hotel and visiting the English Gardens, the Cocteau Museum and relaxing in the sun.
Oh what sorry was I dreaming outloud again oh well back on yer heads same old same old.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

I echo what some have already said. I am fussy about my gear, so I am difficult to buy for. This year, I am experiencing the other side of this. My wife runs navigation workshops on Dartmoor and is also into "kit" (walking rather than riding). One of her clients lost her prize compass on the last trip, so I have attempted to replace it. I'm not feeling the pressure of getting the right thing at all!!

Have a great Christmas fellow Boners, whatever you get up to!

Si
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm not feeling the pressure of getting the right thing at all!!
I think that's one of the problems with Christmas Si. I'm usually very good at simply ignoring outward pressure but I've 2 parcels here which Parcel force should have collected yesterday. They didn't bother coming and when I contacted the company to see why, I was told it would cost an additional £18 if I wanted them to 'try' and come again today. I suppose the pressure is self-induced in that one box is for Dee's best friend and the other for my mum and brother who recently lost his wife, so I feel a sense of duty to sort it out. However, as you can no doubt imagine ... parcel force have being told to go f*ck themselves with the rough end of a rag mans trumpet :-bd
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: However, as you can no doubt imagine ... parcel force have being told to go f*ck themselves with the rough end of a rag mans trumpet :-bd
Nasty! Very amusing imagery though!

:lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Nasty! Very amusing imagery though!
I like websites that allow you to leave direct comments :wink:
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:His elves are busy throwing darts at various maps as I type :wink:
:lol:

:-bd
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Park Tools P handled allen keys and some alone time in the workshop.

And I bought myself a new bike.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Just so long as they avoid the blue bits :wink:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Postie delivered a bike maintenance stand, I can only assume it's for me.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Just landed in a grey and damp Penistone after a marathon drive north which started on Sunday morning in a cold crisp sunny Cataluña. I really think we've seen more traffic in the 250 miles since getting off the ferry than in the 10 months we've been out of the UK. We sat on the M1 at Luton for 2 hours last night which meant we spent the night on a pub carpark near Northampton, the upside was that we called into Alpkit this morning and had a nice chat with Nick, Kenny and Neil, the bike guru who I used to work with at PX. Also bumped into a few others there who are ex PX and talked MrsPB into buying my Christmas present, a new improved quilt so I can lend her my RAB bag for our upcoming trip to Andalucia. Back to Spain on the 28th, it will be interesting to see whether the Independistas will have their day tomorrow, it looks very close.
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I'm usually very good at simply ignoring outward pressure but I've 2 parcels here which Parcel force should have collected yesterday. They didn't bother coming and when I contacted the company to see why, I was told it would cost an additional £18 if I wanted them to 'try' and come again today... as you can no doubt imagine ... parcel force have being told to go f*ck themselves with the rough end of a rag mans trumpet :-bd
Got to agree with this sentiment. I know it's a busy time of year but they don't even play by the rules!
Have been waiting for a delivery for two days now. Each day they say they have attempted to deliver but failed and returned item to depot. Problem is that they haven't called at my (occupied) property and haven't left a card to say they have. This last part is relevant because you need the Number off this Card to re-arrange delivery; without that all-important number trying to re-arrange delivery is a nightmare! I've finally managed (hopefully) to have it redirected to the nearest post office for collection Saturday because they are apparently having trouble finding my cottage. I know I live out in the sticks but I expect Royal Mail at least to find my address!

And breathe...
looking forward to family time with grandchildren on Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Buy all my own 'important needs' so presents tend to be total surprises (and often totally surprising!).
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I'll be grateful for a bottle of scotch or two. Like many others I'm too fussy for people to buy presents and I quite frankly don't need more sub standard :wink: Despite this I have learnt to avoid purchasing before Xmas and intend to buy a couple of things that I don't need but can make excuses for in January and the sales :cool:

Ha, to undermine all that the one thing I have bought is a Hope headset to fit a free set of boost carbon forks to the Scandal and I've just seen the UPS courier pull up outside my office :oops:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Something unexpected ... Shingles on my face and head :sad:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Something unexpected ... Shingles on my face and head :sad:
Oh no :cry: why is it that illness seems to be a suprise present for somone each year. I'm off work until the new year and planned to ride most days. Set out yesterday morning to clock up the miles and bivi. Left home with my kit and a slight sore throat. 50 miles later I'd given up and made it back home and today I've only just got the enthusiasm to make tea and have a sore throat / headache / aching limbs :cry: on the bright side it means the hills yestetday were tough as I was coming down with something (though I was being soft) plus I've had time today to watch the 'hooks' film :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Ah bollocks. Healing vibes :cool:
psling

Post by psling »

Cheeky Monkey wrote:

Ah bollocks.
Hopefully just face and head... :shock:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

That’s sub standard!
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

i asked santa for a ti jones plus but got sent a steel one which is just as good,cant wait for the winter bivvy :mrgreen: