Delorme vs Spot review

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mariner

Delorme vs Spot review

Post by Mariner »

Our window cleaner flies a wing(?) and disappears to various exotic locations a couple of times a year to go flying. We often discus tracking and gps devices vs phone apps maps and tracking.
He gave me this link today which is a Delorme vs Spot review. Its flight oriented and posting it for information.
http://www.cloudbasemayhem.com/delorme- ... nds-on-it/
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
ZeroDarkBivi

Re: Delorme vs Spot review

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Interesting read, but having gone to great lengths in the intro to claim this was a balanced review, it was the most one-sided sponsor-rewarding propaganda! It may well be that Delorme has some advantages over Spot, but for me this report just isn't credible. I have some real issues with SPOTs stealth charging - putting up subscription charges without notification, etc, however a number of statements made do not chime with my experience (customer service for one), and claiming Delorme is better because it uses a rechargeable battery rather than disposable is pure opinion (personally I prefer AAAs).

A least he admitted his debt to Delorme and certainly repaid it in full!
Last edited by ZeroDarkBivi on Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dovebiker

Post by Dovebiker »

Bit of a biased review but I'm relieved to be shot of Spot - mainly because of their gouging / "Hotel California" subscription policy. I'm going to hire an InReach for my next trip.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Interesting read.
Agree that the review is very gushing; however, I own a Garmin InReach and do agree with much of what was said.
If anyone has any questions feel free to ask
rich.mike

Post by rich.mike »

I'm renting both for my Patagonia adventure. The Spot will do the tracking, and the inReach will manage the messages. Belt and braces and all.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

rich.mike wrote:I'm renting both for my Patagonia adventure. The Spot will do the tracking, and the inReach will manage the messages. Belt and braces and all.
Check the satellite coverage for SPOT in the area. Because it employs geostationary /geosynchronous satellites (not sure which but certainly not low earth orbit such as iridium)SPOT can have issues with coverage

Part of the reason I bought an inReach; didn’t want to have a problem and find that location was in an area of limited coverage.

Iridium isn’t perfect, it will drop calls when out of view of a satellite
For the inReach this break in reception isn’t a problem as the unit queues the tracking points /messages and sends when reception is restored
rich.mike

Post by rich.mike »

Asposium wrote:
rich.mike wrote:I'm renting both for my Patagonia adventure. The Spot will do the tracking, and the inReach will manage the messages. Belt and braces and all.
Check the satellite coverage for SPOT in the area. Because it employs geostationary /geosynchronous satellites (not sure which but certainly not low earth orbit such as iridium)SPOT can have issues with coverage...quote]

Its a covered area! Was very impressed by your InReach when you saved me on the YD300 this year when my powerbank failed, now bringing 2 just in case :grin:
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

rich.mike wrote:
Its a covered area! Was very impressed by your InReach when you saved me on the YD300 this year when my powerbank failed, now bringing 2 just in case :grin:
The inReach is far from perfect; however, I am on the whole fairly impressive, which from a self confessed gadget Nerd :geek: is quite a compliment.

Shhh, don’t let on we carry a spare of something, we’ll be shot by the TLS police. :-bd
In my defence, two small packs weigh virtually the same as one larger pack. :grin:

Sounds an epic trip.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

So assuming you just want say, 5 minute tracking (or whatever is closest to that). How much is an inreach subscription?
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Richard G wrote:So assuming you just want say, 5 minute tracking (or whatever is closest to that). How much is an inreach subscription?
There is no 5 min

Bottom of page.
https://explore.garmin.com/en-GB/inreach/