Transmission racket; any ideas??

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Moder-dye

Transmission racket; any ideas??

Post by Moder-dye »

Hi, I'm just after some ideas as I've exhausted mine with an issue I'm having.

I sent my bike to the local Bike Project (local training charity thing) for a new BB and while it was there got a service too. Last weekend I didn't check it before I went for a short ride with a mate who's new to biking and in every gear there was a chattering as if the gears weren't indexed right. I stopped several times to try adjusting them, looked at the derailleur and even loosened the cable to start from scratch, but to not avail. It would change fine and run quiet with the bike off the floor just spinning it, but as soon as there was pressure actually riding the chattering was back. Luckily my mate was happy for the breather each time! Thankfully it wasn't a long ride as I was worried about permanent damage being done.

Anyway I've just started from scratch again in the shed today. The derailleur and hanger are both straight, the sprockets and chain rings don't seem unduly worn (2400km on them) and it had a new chain on as part of the service and the new BB seems fine too.

I did notice they'd put the b-screw in a ridiculous amount (must have been a good inch between the jockey wheel and sprockets) so I adjusted that and again it was all running quiet and shifting well on the bike stand. Took it out for a check on the road and again it's chattering in every gear! I've tried adjusting with the barrel adjuster a notch at a time from too slack to too tight and the just noise doesn't go, although as you'd expect the indexing changes.

An additional annoyance is they changed my front derailleur cable and didn't put the barrel adjuster back on. Luckily I had a spare, but they'd cut the cable short enough that with the spare adjuster on I could only just get enough to clamp it :roll:

I'll take it back to the Bike Project next week and get them to sort it if needs be, but I thought may be some one here has an other idea I could try? I'd rather not have the hassle of taking it back and aren't so inspired to trust them if I can sort it myself.

Any ideas please? I'm sick of pissing about in a cold shed :cry:
Jurassic

Re: Transmission racket; any ideas??

Post by Jurassic »

Stiff link or new chain not getting on with the rest of the transmission?
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I did think about the chain.

Don't know what they put on, could it be the 9 or 11 speed rather than 10? Wrong way around, but can't see a direction arrow?

I'll go check for a stiff link and have a close look for any details on it.

Ta :-bd
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Its a 10 speed shimano HG 4601 chain they've put on, writing on outside (so right way) and can't find a stiff link. However, the transmission is SRAM, but would that make a difference??
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Maybe the new chain on an old drivetrain? If it is, it'll bed-in & eventually quieten down. Might take between 50-150km though..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
psling

Post by psling »

Like Jurassic, my first thought would be new chain on old rings; is there much sign of hooking or extended 'U's between sprockets? - EDIT: and like what wotsits says too!!
One other thought - is the rear wheel located fully into the frame? Only needs to be to be located a fraction out of square for the cassette to be slightly out of line.
Another thought - is there any play in the freehub? (although that is unlikely to cause what you have I'd have thought).
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Has the chain been fed through the rear derailleur correctly (the right side of the tab)?
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

@ scotroutes,
i thought i was the only one stupid enough to do this.....seems not.
check on both the smallest and largest cassette sprockets
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

mtbmarkymark wrote:@ scotroutes,
Cough, splutter :oops: I don't know what you mean :roll:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

for a new BB and while it was there got a service too.
Chainline - have they replaced any spacers on the cranks?

edit - Have you got a Shadow RD?
I find on an used groupset this does make a difference.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Right... the chain line through the RD is fine and no it's not a shadow, its a sram x5.

Seems I can only upload one attachement so here's the cassette

Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg (340.42 KiB) Viewed 3146 times
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Front rings, sram x5
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg (324.68 KiB) Viewed 3145 times
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Bottom jockey, could get a pic of top, but its the same. Should it be spikey??

The whole chain set has done 2400km, I can see more wear on small ring,but does it look bad? I do have a 11-32t cassette I could try on tomorrow, but whats the verdict on wear? I've pulled the chain on both front rings and cassette and it doesn't come off the rings much at all.
Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg (330.58 KiB) Viewed 3142 times
Last edited by Moder-dye on Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

mtbmarkymark wrote:@ scotroutes,
I've seen it a few times. Usually a customer arriving at the shop with a "noisy transmission"..... :lol:

Edit: get that jockey wheel changed!

You can keep it for re-use as a ninja death-star
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Mariner wrote:
for a new BB and while it was there got a service too.
Chainline - have they replaced any spacers on the cranks?

I'm not aware of any spacers on the crank before or missing. Basically I don't know. The BB looks and feels fine is all I can say...
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

ScotRoutes wrote:
Edit: get that jockey wheel changed!

You can keep it for re-use as a ninja death-star
Yeh, guessed those death stars might not be right! Is that likely the issue with a new chain? What about the cassette and rings?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The noise of a chain trying to jump gear is different from that of a new chain/old cassette mismatch.

How old's the cassette? I find I can get two, possibly three, chains per cassette if I change them soon enough. They take a little time to adjust/wear in. If I leave the chain too long then I leave it until it gets very worn and then change the cassette at the same time.

Edit: This is what jockey wheels should look like - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/s?q= ... cat=direct
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

whitestone wrote:The noise of a chain trying to jump gear is different from that of a new chain/old cassette mismatch.

How old's the cassette? I find I can get two, possibly three, chains per cassette if I change them soon enough. They take a little time to adjust/wear in. If I leave the chain too long then I leave it until it gets very worn and then change the cassette at the same time.
It's a constant chattering in all gears, big ring and small ring even when the gears are indexed and working. The cassette and rings have 2400km on them with one chain. On my road bike I change the chain each year, 5-6000km.

Edit: found some sram x5 jockeys for £10 so now know what they should look like LOL!
psling

Post by psling »

Hard (for me) to tell from the photos but your cassette doesn't look too bad, your jockey wheel is worn but shouldn't be problematic but... your chainrings appear worn, especially the inner.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

psling wrote:Hard (for me) to tell from the photos but your cassette doesn't look too bad, your jockey wheel is worn but shouldn't be problematic but... your chainrings appear worn, especially the inner.
Yeh just looked at new front crank set (£70) as dont seem to be able to just buy the rings and the inner is definitely worn in comparison, but the chattering is in big and small :???:
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Ordered a new inner ring and jockey wheels on the basis that they're worn anyway...
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

I've seen it a few times
I've done it exactly twice, but seen it on others a few times. The first time I was in a hurry, chucked the chain on and sprinted off down the road, pretty much sawed through the tab. Second time I stopped after about two strokes!
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Sorted :-bd

I think it was just worn drive chain not happy with a new chain.

Changed the ninja throwing star jockey wheels; spot the difference...
rsz_img_20171202_132039.jpg
rsz_img_20171202_132039.jpg (90.42 KiB) Viewed 2952 times
And also the replaced inner chain ring which was looking pretty ninja too. The cassette looked OK to me, but I replaced it anyway with smaller (11-30t) a hardly used one I had.

I guess it shows the difference in wear between off road and on road, the drive chain had only done 2500km from new; hardly a long weekender for some of you out there :lol:

So, I'm happy again, atleast until Wednesday when I see the consultant about a knee replacement :cry: :cry: :cry:
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Inner ring (24t), mistakenly replaced with a 22t, but my knee will like me for that :-bd
rsz_img_20171202_134302.jpg
rsz_img_20171202_134302.jpg (75.05 KiB) Viewed 2952 times