https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CCPDWSB/po ... oof-saddle

anyone
got one are they worth £21? Looks like my alpkit one
It's for a mate who's wants to have go bike packing
Trying to ride bikes.
benp1

Re: Podsacs saddle bag ?

Post by benp1 »

I saw these a while ago, I'd love to know too. I have a mate that might be interested if they're any good. Price is excellent
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Cheers for that , just ordered one for the young fellas bike so he can carry some of his own stuff when we start in the new year , will try it on my tow path commute when it arrives and let you know if it's stable or not
jameso

Post by jameso »

Another brand using the same model/supplier as the Madison seat pack - so if people like those, this seems like a good buy.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

jameso wrote:Another brand using the same model/supplier as the Madison seat pack - so if people like those, this seems like a good buy.
For the money if can't be to bad :smile:
Trying to ride bikes.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm not knocking it and ultimately the market will decide ... but it does seem like we're in a race to the bottom.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I guess choice is good - as long as we still have choice. It would be a loss if some of the more established, technically-leading, brands disappeared due to being unable to compete and earn a living. It's not like any of them are mega-corporations with a fallback product line.
middleagedmadness

Your probably right Stuart , I had a podsac backpack yrs ago that got dragged through a good few Scottish and winter climbs ,lasted as long as my alpkit gourdon , not expecting too great things from this but for a 12 yr old who may not take to having a loaded bike it's worth a punt , if he gets a few trips out of it I'll be chuffed
middleagedmadness

Forgot to add I'm really hoping it's not as good as mine otherwise I'll be gutted having spent £80 more :oops:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Your probably right Stuart , I had a podsac backpack yrs ago that got dragged through a good few Scottish and winter climbs ,lasted as long as my alpkit gourdon , not expecting too great things from this but for a 12 yr old who may not take to having a loaded bike it's worth a punt , if he gets a few trips out of it I'll be chuffed
As I say, not knocking it at all, just have a few thoughts similar to Colin's from time to time and wonder whether 'we' could eventually end up with less choice.
middleagedmadness

Totally agree with you and hopefully people will move on to the better brands , I look at like my apprentice at work doesn't know if he wants to be a truck mechanic he prefers light vehicles, so he buys the cheaper option on the larger tools required until he makes up his mind , if he stays they will get swapped out for the better brand what will last him his career
jay91

Post by jay91 »

I totally agree with you it probably doesn't help when planet X have such random pricing it was £50 at some point it'll be different next week :???:
Trying to ride bikes.
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

Such a shame to see a once great name being just stuck on hugely discounted stuff.
I know that's why they bought the kit in the first place, but, well you know..
Pretty sure it goes against everything Pete set out to do? :|
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I still have two of the original podsacs from my student days and were heavily used going cragging and into the mountains. Bombproof.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Not sure if this should be in the bargain alert thread but according to the PX website, the bar bag and the saddle bag are £21 each but if you buy the 2 together, they can be yours for the knock down price of £50. Where do I sign up? Ashamed to say I used to work for this bunch of muppets.
Cheeky Monkey, don't make the mistake of thinking that the quality of these bags bears any resemblance to the pre-takeover Podsac products, they make no secret of their strategy of buying up brands then screwing them a la Sports Direct.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

pistonbroke wrote:Cheeky Monkey, don't make the mistake of thinking that the quality of these bags bears any resemblance to the pre-takeover Podsac products, they make no secret of their strategy of buying up brands then screwing them a la Sports Direct.
My post was brief and throw-away - I'm familiar with the (at times) utter poor show PX and OO churn out. Sometimes you get a bargain, sometimes you get what you pay for, sometimes it wasn't worth the postage, never mind the price.

The Fireline with a baggy seatpost I got being a great example.

The original PodSac's from back in the day (mine are about 1990) are vaguely exciting. What PX sells badged as the "PodSac" are not the same, sadly :|
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

i might give the bar harness a go as myn is fecked after nepal .
and if it is as good as other chineese made bags with welded seems i have seen looking at samples in my job as a product designer, it will be stronger and better than any sewn kit made in the uk... the seat pack does look less great though but still vaguely exciting for the cash !
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I was at PX when they bought the Podsac brand, must have been about 5 years ago. I think they had cashflow issues and needed an injection of capital. Suddenly a load of very nice rucksacks hit the website along with straps and chalk bags which most of the staff feasted on. There was nice talk of developing the brand and bringing in new products. All that happened was that the stock was sold at cheap prices to liquidate it and it lay dormant until these tacky products were branded to get round the toxic On One and PX product quality. The same happened with Tomac, Titus, Holdsworth, Viner, Selcof, SAB, Moon, Carnac,and many more. They used to have an ebay seller called price shaggers, PX should be called brand shaggers.
middleagedmadness

Well it arrived this morning , have to say I'm a little shocked it's quite good quality for the price but only time will tell , it's not quite as stiff at the base as the ortlieb but it means I can have mine back off jnr and he can use this for his PE kit for school , don't think it's gonna last like my old cragging sack but it's probably not gonna have the same abuse
RIP

Post by RIP »

Just got an email from PX pushing Podsacs.

69 notes for 4L barbag. 69 notes for 8.5L seatbag.

Apparently: "through the worst of the British weather", "ultimate bikepacking bags", "almost indestructible", "expedition tested", "100% stormproof", "might just be the best bikepacking bag ever made". Carlsberg eat yer heart out!

How's the lab testing going MAM? They up to the job so far?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

RIP wrote:Just got an email from PX pushing Podsacs.

69 notes for 4L barbag. 69 notes for 8.5L seatbag.

Apparently: "through the worst of the British weather", "ultimate bikepacking bags", "almost indestructible", "expedition tested", "100% stormproof", "might just be the best bikepacking bag ever made". Carlsberg eat yer heart out!

How's the lab testing going MAM? They up to the job so far?
Looking at the product page they are 70 quid each a pop or 99 quid for saddle bag, bar bag, frame bag and toptube bag! :o
middleagedmadness

To be fair reg it's been well worth the £21 I paid for it ,the only issues are the front nose isn't as rigid as some others but if you stuff it there's minimal sway even if it's full to the brim the other is the closure buckles are of the cheaper variety ,the actual material is quite good quality it's just the little things like the buckles what tell you it's not the pod sacs of old, but if they were still at £21 I'd recommend it to anyone starting out ,I'd probably not pay anymore than£30 though because you've got the lomo in that price range and if that's like there paddling gear it'll be bomb proof
EDIT it didn't fit properly to young fellas bouncy bike so it's been doing 20miles a day tow path commute since I got it and it's never leaked yet
Alh14

Post by Alh14 »

I’ve got one of those saddle bags, test fitted it but haven't ridden in anger.

What is the top tip to stop sway on bags like these ?
middleagedmadness

I just pass the closure straps through the saddle rails aswell and then pull it in tight when loaded
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What is the top tip to stop sway on bags like these ?
Heaviest items packed nearer the front.
Try and remove as much air as possible before fastening it up.
Smaller / seperate bags tend to seperate in there, which can make the straps loosen off.