help needed

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

middleagedmadness

help needed

Post by middleagedmadness »

evening everyone , I'm new to bikepacking and just looking for some advice on kit , I have a bit of kit from when myself and the young fella used to have multiday climbing trips , got a vaude ul tent but looking at bivi bag and tarp set ups as might be able to store easier on the bike , need anew cooker as the trusty trangia is a bit large to get into the bar pack , sleeping bag at the moment is only a summer affair so looking for suggestions on a compact winter one and whether or not a frame bag is needed (have a ortlieb 16l seat pack and 15l bar bag) cheers in advance
stuart
whitestone

Re: help needed

Post by whitestone »

Welcome! :-bd

Have a read through Stuart's writings in the "Review" section to get an idea on things.

If you are used to a Trangia then making your own beer can stove is the cheapest way to get a compact one. Failing that then there's the 8g and 22g versions available in the shop (yes that's grammes!).

Sleeping bag: you can go a couple of ways here. Either get a decent 3 season bag. By decent I mean relatively light and compacts well. Just what rating you get depends on how warm/cold you sleep. The other option is to get an over bag or quilt to wrap your existing bag. Some prefer one way, some the other.

Bivy bag - I've the Alpkit Hunka XL which is big enough to get inflatable sleeping mat, sleeping bag with quilt wrapper and me inside. Also check Alpkit for their tarps.

A frame bag is useful for heavier items so that the bike's centre of gravity isn't upset too much. You don't have to use one though.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
middleagedmadness

cheers whitestone , already have alpkit tarps and hunka booked marked on the eldests computer as Christmas ideas ,you have to give these 20yr olds a hint you know :wink: had alook at the afterburner stove the other day on here think it may be the one
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

had alook at the afterburner stove the other day on here think it may be the one
Just hang fire, there's a new stove in the pipeline ... you might like it. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
middleagedmadness

not a problem stu , not in any rush to get the kit sorted as long as I can start to get out end of jan /feb all will be well , getting severe claustrophobia since me and the boy had to stop climbing , being out for day rides are grand but I miss the nights out , I'm a big kid really and still like making dens
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm a big kid really and still like making dens
Amen.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
I'm a big kid really and still like making dens
Amen.