TLS and “spares” for multi day trip

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ctznsmith

Re: TLS and “spares” for multi day trip

Post by ctznsmith »

Ah fond memories of trying to fix a spoke in a Swedish wood and realising that an NBT2 (the above cassette tool) doesn't fit into a centrelock lockring. :roll:

I did manage to bend a spoke around the disc and get it sorted and it lasted another 2000+ miles (before the free hub failed) but 6 bolt is a lot less faff 'in the field'.
SixPotBelly

Post by SixPotBelly »

Fibre Fix spoke goes on with the rotor in place :)

My wheels have different spoke lengths left and right, and front and rear, so I'd have to carry 4 spokes if I was going to carry spares (I presume). Besides, with 32 in each wheel I'd still have 31 left to limp on to habitation with even without a Fibre Fix...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The other advantage of centre lock rotors is there's less chance of stripping a bolt head when removing/replacing. Of course it uses the same tool http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... p-prod1056 as the cassette lockring so that's a plus. You also only need a standard spanner for that tool so likely to find one at a friendly farmer, etc. Surprised the NBT2 doesn't work with centre locks though.

On a similar note, I'm becoming a fan of direct mount chainrings for the same reason. No bolts to work loose and give an annoying squeak as they do so. I'm a 1x fan so not too big a change but if you use 2x or 3x then it might not be an option (not checked). Ever so slightly lighter as well.*

One point about taking spare bolts isn't so much them working loose - with thread lock that's unlikely - but losing one when undertaking a repair. I've lost a bolt at home when doing some work so in my case it's not beyond the bounds of probability! :oops:

* lets you accumulate even more mud before the bike becomes unwieldy!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

whitestone wrote:Surprised the NBT2 doesn't work with centre locks though.
From memory it's because the disc lockring is further in than the cassette one so the tool bottom outs on the axle before you can get to it.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

How many folks have broken a spoke on a ride? (apart from Ben above)

I've broken a spoke on a commute (2 at the same time in fact!) but have not had any incidents off road. I once had a rear mech ripped off by the wheel so I guess that could have been worse and broken a spoke?

I carry a little ziplock bag with a few useful bits in, very similar to the above
- tubeless repair kit, including a pre threaded one
- tube repair patches
- tyre boot (piece of milk bottle)
- dental floss and strong metal needle in a piece of straw so it can't puncture anything
- duct tape (wrapped around a piece of plastic)
- cable ties
- mech hanger
- couple of M5 bolts
- pair of quicklinks

For my recent peaks trip I lobbed in a pair of brake pads as I'm about half way through the front and heard it can be quite tough on them. They're so small I might just leave them in there.

Needle and thread is just in case I need to fix a tyre or any broken bits of kit. Dental floss is unbelievably strong for it's size, packs down tiny (I take the reel out of the plastic box)

The list looks quite long but in reality is takes up very little room in my bag. The list is from memory, I think all that stuff is in there anyway. The little ziplock bag gets switched between my bumbag, backpack or revelate jerrycan as necessary
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

benp1 wrote:How many folks have broken a spoke on a ride? (apart from Ben above)
Twice, and one of those was only because someone's foot (or pedal) went through my wheel when xc racing. In both cases, it was the nipple that was the weak point anyway.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Zippy wrote: it was the nipple that was the weak point.
Vaseline or tape them up. :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

"nipple that was the weak point". A weakness for many of us indeed... sigh...
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

benp1 wrote:How many folks have broken a spoke on a ride? (apart from Ben above)

I've broken a spoke on a commute (2 at the same time in fact!) but have not had any incidents off road. I once had a rear mech ripped off by the wheel so I guess that could have been worse and broken a spoke?

I carry a little ziplock bag with a few useful bits in, very similar to the above
- tubeless repair kit, including a pre threaded one
- tube repair patches
- tyre boot (piece of milk bottle)
- dental floss and strong metal needle in a piece of straw so it can't puncture anything
- duct tape (wrapped around a piece of plastic)
- cable ties
- mech hanger
- couple of M5 bolts
- pair of quicklinks
Aye, 1-2 spokes a year. Mostly from swinging the rear too close to rocks. Some from what must be big rocks getting tossed about. After a few 100 km me rims looked as if chewed by a cow with granite teeth. Just superficial damage though.

When spokes go, I just check if the wheel is still true and carry on riding. No spare spokes for me.

Rest is very similar to the above.

I think that was my bike repair stuff for the HT550
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

a 20 tooth cog that bolts on to the disk rotor side then you spin the wheel the other way round if your freehub breaks,but then your riding a fixie with just a front brake

or use a brake inner wire and weave the cable through your biggest sprocket and around the far side spokes ive done both and it works