Pogies

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Alpinum

Re: Pogies

Post by Alpinum »

GregMay wrote:As a total other side to this. Consider your bars and grips.Paying attention to how your bike can act as a heat sink for heat from your body will help your overall warmth.

Carbon bars tend not to run as cold as Alu or Ti bars. Silicone grips tend to stop thermal drain as well as being quite comfortable. Larger shoe assumed for warmer socks, but think about the shoe bed, what can you get in there to limit thermal loss to pedals as well.

I've issues during winter with my hands, but am not a pogies fan. Used them paddling for years, always fun when you needed to let go of your blades in a moment of stupidity. Don't get on with them on a bike for similar reasons.
Thanks for that Greg, but I'm well past those points.

Talking about staying warm in general;
You may not just want a larger shoe to accommodate thicker socks but to get rid of all possible pressure point on the tissue, for that's where tissue damage happens - every where blood is restricted to flow.

Some will close cuffs thight in order to keep the warmth trapped, but exactly the opposite happens. Insulation will be compacted and blood flow may be hindered thus allowing cold to sneak in.
whitestone wrote: I used some mountaineering boots that are a comfy fit and with a thick Vibram sole help against contact heat loss.
I've done loads of wintermountaineering (Alps) and always hated the stiffness required for tech climbing with crampons as my feet would struggle to stay warm, even once the crampons were off. Try a boot in which you can roll your feet, not just wiggle with the toes. We don't need a dead stiff sole for riding.

The bloke with the Wolftooth pogies said he had no issues when crashing. He did not feel any hinderance getting out. Probably the force is too big.

But then... we never crash, especially not on snow and ice.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Anyone made or tried to make their own?
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

I'm tempted to try it! There's a long thread on the mtbr fatbike forum, looks like the hood off a kids ski jacket is a good starting point...
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Ray Young wrote:Anyone made or tried to make their own?
Tempted too and have a few ideas but then if there are some good options available I try not to get behind the sewing machine.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

looks like a couple of oven gloves would do the trick ;)
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

I made a couple of pairs last year. One for myself and one set for my daughter. Made a cardboard template and lined them with merino wool or fleece. They are basic and do a good job of keeping hands warm but had a few issues as noted above: they can move, big opening lets in rain but then again they stay warm even when wet. . Can't see myself spending money to buy a pair